xisto Community
inverse_bloom

World Of Goo

Has anyone played world of goo? Its a 2D puzzle game where you build structures of linked goo balls to fulfill the overall objective of getting the goo balls to an exit pipe. You create bridges, towers, etc while avoiding hazardous obstacles which could kill a few of your finite number of goo'ees if you do not plan correctly.It was created with emphasis on graphic design and game physics. It involves strategic play that kids may benefit from, but most of all it is good fun for everyone.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Played it for the PC, and for what it is, it's damn cool and mad genius.It's a very simple puzzle game and you've got the basis of the game right. It's not like any other puzzle game though... it incorporates a good mix of epic and circus-like music, coupled with the satire on business and consumerism, plus the appealing artwork that bring out a sort of "fun" touch to the game itself, AND the cute sound effects, making you want to play more and figure out the puzzles because it's FUN. Even now, I've got the music stuck in my head as I type this. :lol: It's very easy to pick up and understand, and I believe it's available for Wii and PC. I would think either version would be great, with the difference of controls being the mouse and the Wiimote. I would highly recommend anyone to pick up this game, as it is worth every penny... and guess what? Independently-developed! (No EA, no RockStar... just two guys with some time and imagination on their hands!)

Yeah, it definitely counts as hardcore fun. Music is great, graphics nice, ideas and humor are good.

Haven't played it yet, but I've seen a video or two, and it looks great. I'd consider buying it if I wasn't totally broke at the moment. :lol:

Haven't played it yet, but I've seen a video or two, and it looks great. I'd consider buying it if I wasn't totally broke at the moment. :lol:

Argh yes, World of Goo is sorta expensive on Steam at the moment, about $19.99 USD, which is alot for an Indie game in it's class. Although I might add the game is outstanding in it's genre, sorta like how Audiosurf stood out when It was released. World of Goo is very hard for people who just want to play for fun, or a 5 year old. It requires brainy skills and good eye coordination for that you have to act quick in most situations. I'd like to buy it too when It is $9.99 on Steam or on special.

At the moment I have Audiosurf, I recommend the $9.99 is worth it. :P

ps. Well music fans would love Audiosurf... might be boring for the average gamer.

I saw some videos of Audiosurf on youtube. It looks great, but the notes in the game seem out of tune with the actual music sometimes. Is that just me misinterpreting something? Anyone care to explain how the game works? :lol:

I just recently purchased world of goo off of the steam program. So far im loving the artwork and sounds with it and plus im an avid puzzle freak xD. I also like how you can compete online with building the highest tower from the extra goo's you have collected.

I have wasted a particularly large amount of my time playing it :o I like the puzzle/physics games like this, and I also like the fact they release a native Linux version of the game, which works flawlessly :) What other reasons do you need to get the game?! All the levels are challenging, but not so challenging that you give up and go to a different game - just enough to keep you hooked and trying one more time.

The only disappointment is they haven't made a World of Goo 2 yet. @ spudds post 7, When you first start a game of World of Goo you notice a few things. You have some goo'ies floating about on a structure. You will also notice somewhere 'a sign', if it isn't immediately on screen use your mouse to drift through the map by moving your mouse towards the edges of the screen. You click these signs to get tips. These provide tips on how to play the game, some humor and hints how you may finish particular levels. Ok, so back to the goo'ies. Scan the map to focus back on the moving gooies. In each level you have an objective, the idea is to form structures by using these goo'ies. From the starting position (where you are focused on at the beginning) you must create a strong enough structure to get to the end position (which is a pipe that vacuums the "spare" goo'ies up into its glass jar). However on different levels there will be different obstacles and it is your job to create a strong structure without wasting or killing your goo'ies .(otherwise you may not pass the level at the vacuum pipe, if you have too few goo'ies) So you click and hold on one of the goo'ies you proceed to drag the goo ball to the point where you see a preview of how the connections between the goo ball and the existing structure will look. If you like what you see you simply release the mouse button.Where the strategy comes into the picture, is knowing what directed paths your goo balls should go in, towards your final objective (the pipe). Of course every level is different with their own arrangement of obstacles and circumstances. Their is also a large element of anticipating the physics of the game that go into your considerations for construction and that is largely where the fun is. You try to determine "how" your structures will hold up under certain circumstances, considering what you have learned about how the games physics behave. Initially it is about trial and error till you get a feel for the game.Although defining the game play aspect comes across simple, its actually very engaging and a nice relaxing level of challenges. That coupled with great music, graphic design, humor and strangeness makes it an awesome game.

After hearing so much about World of Goo, I decided to try it. I was impressed with it, it was a quality game. Nice visuals, good music, interesting story (well, for the style of game, most "building" games don't even have a plot of any kind and are little more than a series of levels that look like a physics simulation)The levels were all unique, and just when I thought the game was fun enough as it was, it became fun in a new way with new goo-balls.The problem I had with the game, is that I found it too easy. I completed almost every level on the first try. Even levels that look hard at first, like the "Windmill" and the epilogue. I can't think of one level that I had trouble with except for the one where you climb up the tall walls, which was time consuming (kept sliding down!) . The last level of each chapter I think was a puzzle more than a building type of thing, and while cool to watch, were usually disappointingly easier than the other levels. They were all fun while I was doing them, but when it's all over, I can't help but wish I didn't finish it in a couple hours without much of a challenge. I've seen reviews that disagree with me here, but I find the re-playability low. I'm not the type of person that wants to go back and collect more goo balls for the sake of doing it. I have 250 now and that's enough for me. There really aren't too many different ways to solve a level in WOG. You're usually stuck with one type of material (goo ball) which doesn't let you experiment much and the way to do it is usually obvious and rarely is there any other way to do it. In other similar building games like Pontifex (Bridge Builder) and Armadillo Run, I could do the same level over and over, and not get bored. I could build a bridge with suspension cables, or cheap materials to save money, or build different styles of bridges, in WOG, I just build the same old tower, or the same old bridge. It's a shame that WOG is (in my opinion) not as fun and re-playable as it could be. The goo balls really are fun to build with, it has much potential, but it just doesn't give you much of a chance to experiment with them. the "tallest tower building game" is interesting for a multi player type of challenge , but what about all the other goo balls? I'd sure like to use them. Way above average in it's genre for visuals, audio, story and originality. Below average for re-playability and long-term fun.Overall, I would and have already recommended the game to others. It's got an unbelievable amount of personality for the genre of game. It oozes style like a squished goo ball. I was impressed the moment it popped up with the blobby mouse cursor. It's a fun game by any standards, even if it's a bit short, and for a few indie developers it's hard to believe it's as good as it is. I found myself getting attached to the journey of the goo balls, which is more than I can say for the trains in Pontifex as they rumbled across the tracks into a raging river.There is something that bothers me about World of Goo ( it doesn't REALLY bother me, but I wonder about it): Why on earth are we forced to kill off our beloved goo balls? I know they're cartoon-ish, and it makes for fun game play, but setting the entire bunch of them ablaze or crushing them with spikes repeatedly to complete levels seems kind of cruel considering we're given the task of watching over them on their journey ! :) "We're all in it together"

where did you download it it from? did it require you to burn to cd?

I found this on their official site:

PC versions are also available on Steam, Direct2Drive, Greenhouse, Impulse, Mac Game Store (Mac only), GamersGate, and Gametree Online (Mac only).

The game size is around 160MB if I'm not wrong, so burning to a CD isn't practical and not even necessary :) I like this game for the fact that it has a Linux version included. Not many developers do that! I still have to try it out though...

In the low space category World of Goo is for sure number one. It's so much fun , good graphics and cool sounds made by the balls.. :P)It just makes you keep playing until you finish it.. which unfortunetly doesn't take that long , but overall it's a great game.