xisto Community
juandelacruz

Cross-browser Issue How to get around with it?

I tested my new CSS layout design on Firefox 3, Chrome 1.0 and Internet Explorer 8, it doesn't have a problem with those three browsers and they display the same result whenever I make a changes with the style.But I realized that not every internet users update their browsers, I use Multiple IE for earlier versions of Internet Explorer and for IE7 I still have to figure out how will I install it again even I updated to IE8.Is there another way to do this cross-browser thing so that I don't have to worry about browser compatibility of my site?

No site can be customized to get proper browser compatibility, You must use css hacks for that. But you must pay attention to monitor sizes and the way your site appears in different monitors.

It is difficult if not almost impossible to achieve cross browser compatibility for all browsers. The reason being standards change and the older browsers cannot render the new standard types of coding. Newer browsers also do not render the older methods of coding properly or handle them entirely differently. But why would you want to support older browsers? True you would like your visitors using an older browser to be access your site but the work involved to get it to display properly for everyone is not worth the hassle in my opinion. The best you can do is try and support the latest versions of Firefox 2-3 and Internet Explorer 7-8. Try and code to the standards your opting to use such as document type. If you do not know what they are then you will have trouble trying to achieve your goal. Read up on them and understand their importance. When building your site test regularly on each browser and eliminate any differences early. They are much more harder to track down the line.

The reason being standards change and the older browsers cannot render the new standard types of coding.

That doesn't explain Internet Explorer though. Microsoft thought they could invent their own web standards with IE and didn't even bother to work around the standards properly until IE6, and even then the outcome was poor. Its only in IE8 that the designer doesnt have to worry about hacks. In fact, I had to modify a stylesheet to get a site to render correctly in Firefox3 when IE8 rendered it properly (older versions would have crumbled though).

Its quite shocking when it takes the worlds leading software provider two full versions of IE to start behaving properly.

Edited by CitizenErased (see edit history)

Hi!Supporting older browsers is usually a pain. You could probably use Microsoft's Virtual PC, Sun's Virtual Box or VMWare to create a virtual machine in which to run a different version of Internet Explorer.Cross-browser compatibility is achievable, though you may have to settle for a slight variation between browsers if you don't want to take the pain of achieving pixel-accurate layouts.Regards

Most of my pages look basically the same in Firefox and Internet explorer browsers.Some real nightmares happen though with Safari and Opera,let alone GoogleChrome. I think there should be some final,absolute standard set for these browsers,although I thought the Worldwide web consortium was supposed to take care of this. Right now it's a mess that could get much worse.

Hi!There is a standard for web browsers, but unless the vendors decide to make their browsers compliant, there isn't much that anybody can do. Cross-browser compatibility is easy to achieve with current browsers (IE8, FF3, Safari3) but older versions are harder to work with.Of special mention is IE7. Internet Explorer 7 has an interesting bug where it displays the link correctly but the mouse has to be positioned in an adjacent area to work with (hover or click) the link.Regards,Nitin Reddy

Most of my pages look basically the same in Firefox and Internet explorer browsers.Some real nightmares happen though with Safari and Opera,let alone Google
Chrome.

That's pretty intersting considering Opera (10) and Safari (4) pass the Acid3 test flawlessly and Chrome scores a 100/100, but the final picture is slightly off. I believe Firefox scores ~75-85 and IE8 gets a whopping 20, so you would think it would be the other way around. You might be using things only supported in FF and IE.

You can get an idea of what your pages look like with screenshot services like those mentioned earlier, but if you are really serious about finding and fixing issues with older browsers, you'll need to go the virtual PC route.

Cross-Browser compatibility tester resourceCross-browser Issue

XENOCODE (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ) - here, you'll be able to test IE 6/7/8, FF 2/3,Chrome, Opera 9.6, and Safari 3.  As great as this is, what kills me is the errors that you get inside the sandbox which lead you to believe that those errors are a result of your coding rather than that of not being able to use the plugins needed for your content (which you can't get because of the nature of the sandbox testing).  This resource has been such a help to me in trying to get my design right across a multitude of browsers, and my only con is that they should include more browsers (but, then again, it wouldn't be free if they tried the Browsershots.Org action).

-reply by Lee Davis