xisto Community
juandelacruz

Cross-browser How to get aruond with it?

I am testing my new CSS layout design on Firefox 3, Internet Explorer 8 and Chrome 1.0 and it don't have a problem viewing on this three web browser's. Until I've realized that not every internet user's are aware of updating their web browsers or maybe they don't care and just don't know how to.I use Multiple IE to check my design on the earlier versions of the Internet Explorer. And now, since that I'm currently using the IE8, I have to find a way to install IE7 again to see how my design looks on it.Is there an approach to get around the cross-browser so I don't have to worry about browser compatibility?

If there was, I'd love to hear it.

There are a number of services that will take screenshots of your sites with different browsers, but to actually test your site in IE7, you'll need to run a virtual machine.  This website should help: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Internet Explorer 8 allows for IE7 emulation by using a Meta Tag in the head of the page.

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7">
As described here

You can go to browsershots.org and you can veiw your website in over 75 different browser versions, it is very fast and useful. I would recommend this to anyone. I have used it myself to check compatibility with browser versions on mac and linux, which systems i do not own. This site only takes a few seconds to generate all the images, but there is 2 problems with it, if you put in google.com it comes back with a site redirection error, and if you want to check your whole site compatibility you have to check it page by page. Good Luck!

If you're using Windows and lets say Vista, then as I know Multiple_IE does not work, the way I do it is just on Vista I have IE8 and I have a Virtual machine, I'm using Sun VM Virtual Box, it's free and works very well and from Vista I can load XP, on XP I installed IE7 and am using Multiple_IE to view websites using IE6.. And it works very well, those services which offer to view your page by screenshots.. Well, it's not the same, you can't view hover effects, test javascript and so on, and usually thats the main thing and screenshots are good only if you want to test simple CSS content.. :angel:Every other browser works on Vista, I doubt you'll have any other problems with other browsers except for IE :( of course if you code well.