xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
buherath

What Is The Best Blogging Software? Voice your opinion.

As the topic says, What do you think is the best blogging software?1. MovableType2. WordPress.org (Self Hosted)3. WordPress.com (Hosted on wordpress.com. It's much like blogger.)4. TypePad5. Blogger Blog (Blogspot)6. Livejournal7. Drupal8. Expression Engine9. Joomla10. Other I know some stuff about blogger blogs and wordpress self hosted blogs.Let's start with Blogger blogs. Blogger blogs are blogs hosted and maintained by Google. They are totally free and anyone can start instantly. Here are some advantages of Blogger blogs.1. They give you a free sub-domain. http://you.blogspot.de/. You can also use your own domain instead of a sub-domain under blogger.2. There is no cost or expense involved using a hosted platform.3. The blog templates source codes are coded in a way that they're well viewed by the Google's search engines as well as other top search engines as yahoo. So we can consider this as an advantage since your blog will get indexed faster by Google. In fact the blog is easily crawled by spiders and any new keywords you use will be rapidly saved.4. Very easy to change the theme. Basic styling can be done through the dashboard just by choosing colors. More advanced styling can be achieved simply with changes to the style sheet.5. Blogger is flexible with all kind of entries like the bookmarking tools in footers and RSS subscription like Feed Burner. 6. Easy comments system and it is very easy to edit older posts.7. Adsense ads are blended automatically with the background. You can easily put ads after every post. You don't have to get the code from your adsense account and manually paste them in your posts.Here are some disadvantages.1. Limited themes. Most blogger blogs looks the same and when you want to edit the theme you will find it quite hard to do so if you are not very comfortable with style sheets.2. The sub-domain offered by blogger can affect the image of your blog when it comes to advertisers to choose where to advertise for their products.3. Very limited plugins.Okay lets see what Wordpress self hosted blogs has to offer.Wordpress self hosted means you have to find your own hosting and domain names, be it a free sub-domain or a top level domain. Wordpress self hosted blogs are much more flexible than most blogs because it is simply more popular. Wordpress blogs can be made to look like professional web sites even with a static home page.Here are some advantages.1. No one can remove or ban your blog. If google feels your blog is violating their terms they will simply delete your blog. But since worpdress is hosted on your hosting account, no one can delete it except you.2. You will have total control over your blog. You won't see any small banner like what blogspot puts on top of their blogs.3. There are like thousands and thousands of themes you can use on your wordpress blog. Some are made by professionals and you can buy them from them. But you can find millions of free wordpress theme all over the web. You can make your own themes using style sheets. If you don't know much about style sheets you can use softwares like artseer or theme dreamer.4. There are millions of plugins to customize your blog the way you want it to look and feel like. Many users make new plugins and spread them freely.5. It is very easy and user friendly to start, set up and maintain your blog. There are plenty of support and help all over the web about wordress blogs.Here are some disadvantages.1. You will need paid hosting to host your blog, but of course you can use free hosting like here at Xisto.2. When you first try to set up a wordpress blog you might fell that it is very hard. Like uploading theme and plugins and manually installing wordpress.So I think wordpress beats other blogging softwares by a mile. But I don't actually know about other blogging software like joomla, and typepad.Well these are from my own experience in the blogo-sphere. Voice your opinion on this thread and lets see what is the best blogging software when it comes to flexibility, easy to start, cost, seo and other stuff.

What Is The Best Blogging Software?

Wordpress.

Easy to install, administrate, easy to edit, and a lot of plugins.

I don't see why anyone would want to use blogger blogs? You can a subdomain from somewhere and just install wordpress.
The "advantages" that came with blogspot you mentioned are very very poor. You can just install a few plugins and you'll have your SEO(including sitemaps, metadata and others)
Simply install "google sitemaps"-plugin and the "All-in-one SEO pack" and you're done. For spam filtering NoSpamNX, it simply adds a few more fields to commenting form. The fields are invisible to a normal user, but bots fill them out and the comment will not be sent. Also google anlyticator is good, automatically adds the google analytics code, without any template changes.

All in all, wordpress wins.

You also mentioned Joomla!, but it is not for blogging. It is a content management system, like Phpnuke and others. I remember reading that someone here uses it as a blog system tho, can't remember who...

Typepad lacks features.

I have a blog, hosted on xisto, using wordpress. One problem I faced first was that all the good themes didn't have a translation to Finnish. So I had to translate the themes myself, which took its time but it was easier than I had thought. I'm sure there are parts of the theme there that I haven't yet translated, too lazy :lol:

Anyway, I'm not saying wordpress is or it should be, but when you look at the features of it and then look at the features of others, it rocks them. You can always use Joomla! CMS, but I *think* it's more complicated to manage.

Blogger!In Blogger if you had an existing account of GMail you don't have to register, all you have to do is just use your GMail account to login and you have an instant Blogger account. You could easily customized the layout features with a little or no technical knowledge, on the Edit HTML download a copy of template and save it on your hard drive. You can revert easily by uploading the same file again.To use a custom domain name, buy your own domain, and create a CNAME record for it to point to ghs.google.com (unless you buy the domain through Blogger). Enter your domain in the 'Custom Domain' option on the Settings | Publishing tab.If you're a hardcore... Wordpress!

Hi!I totally agree with Juan when he says Blogger is a great place to start. Customization, however, is a pain with the custom tags that they use in the HTML markup but if you are going with the basics it's pretty okay - you have a limited selection of themes, but lots of gadgets to add to the template.WordPress is the way to go, if you're experienced with blog administration. You can write up entire templates yourself with standard HTML/CSS/JavaScript and some PHP. You can easily create widgets or other plugins with PHP. There's also a huge database of themes and widgets!Regards

WordPress is the way to go, if you're experienced with blog administration. You can write up entire templates yourself with standard HTML/CSS/JavaScript and some PHP. You can easily create widgets or other plugins with PHP. There's also a huge database of themes and widgets!

I agree Word Press is best! (Self Hosted, of course).

There is even supported scripts to include a shopping cart, making it a versatile alternative to suit many purposes.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

i would surely pick JOOMLA 1.5x ! it is most customizable cms' out there. i have 5 sites that run on joomla and 1 on wordpress. But it depends on your opinion, and what you are using the site for ,really. Joomla is good for: Customizable Great templatesgood effects ( roxbox ) plently of tutorials, support forums , etc. Wordpress - It is the most simply Clean templates

If we compare learning curve for joomla,drupal and wordpress then it is easy to learn wordpress than others. Things are easy to visualize in wordpress than joomla and drupal. If you get bit experienced with CMS and programming, you'll find yourself comfortable in all three. But if we go by learning curve joomla is not that easy to learn.

If we compare learning curve for joomla,drupal and wordpress then it is easy to learn wordpress than others. Things are easy to visualize in wordpress than joomla and drupal. If you get bit experienced with CMS and programming, you'll find yourself comfortable in all three. But if we go by learning curve joomla is not that easy to learn.

yeah, as i have tried so many blogs, wordpress.com is the best one i think. i really like it. and it is the most friendly one for SE.

I just use Wordpress for a blogging software, it's very well made and has a lot of plugins and is always under update with new versions coming out, easy to upgrade..I know a lot of whom, who made wordpress their own custom cms and are using it as a core to run different sites and services. :PI don't like joomla because how huge it is and I browsed it's code for some time, nothing special, the core is old, it does a lot of unesecery things and usually might be slow on sites having lots and lots of traffic, but yes, it's big, it has million of modules which is bad for me, because until I find one which suits me, there are over 20 shopping cart modules for it..There are much simpler php cms software out there :P

If you just started blogging my suggestion is to start with blogger, its very user friendly, it gets indexed very quickly. If you own a domain, my advice is to start using wordpress. There are many wordpress plugings that help you post/protect/read a blog, see traffic etc. Also spam, if you reach a high number of visitors your spam comments will rise like hell, askimet plugin is the answer for this.