xisto Community
Digitalidad

Icons Design Software

Hi there!Anybody knows a good software for designing icons and cursors for Windows Vista?I downloaded a trial of PC Icon Editor, but the developers have still a lot to learn about how to make a program friendly and intuitive. It has practically no online help and I don't even see any tutorials on the web. I can't figure it out! =( I used to have a powerful freeware program for icons and cursors, but I lost it in my old PC and don't remember the name.Thanks in advance for your advice!

Hi Digitalidad!

Just last week, I used the software IcoFx . It feels just like Microsoft Paint in that you simply select the colors from the right, select a tool (fill, brush etc) and draw! It does not offer you the advanced features that a commercial icon editor like Microangelo (I've used this about a decade ago, but I've still seen them around) provides.

I haven't been able to check IcoFX for Vista compatibility though, as I run Windows XP. A couple of people I know were forced to making the switch because Windows XP isn't available pre-installed on computers, and Windows 7 is still in the Release Candidate stage.

Regards,
Nitin Reddy

You could try the Freeware program called GIMP. I have never used it, but I have heard that it is user-friendly and a great software.If you are willing to pay a few hundred dollars for a much more powerful and professional program, get Photoshop. I use this program and it is my favorite software ever. You can do anything on it, but it takes a long time to figure out all the settings and options.

Hi Digitalidad!
Just last week, I used the software IcoFx . It feels just like Microsoft Paint in that you simply select the colors from the right, select a tool (fill, brush etc) and draw! It does not offer you the advanced features that a commercial icon editor like Microangelo (I've used this about a decade ago, but I've still seen them around) provides.

I haven't been able to check IcoFX for Vista compatibility though, as I run Windows XP. A couple of people I know were forced to making the switch because Windows XP isn't available pre-installed on computers, and Windows 7 is still in the Release Candidate stage.

Regards,
Nitin Reddy

Thanks for your suggestion! I think that Microangelo is in fact the one I used years ago! I'll look for IcoFX.