xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NeXDesigns

Easy Metal Tutorial NeXDesigns

In this tutorial I will show you how to make a simple metal background, great for making sigs.

Step 1: Create a new document of any size, set your foreground colour to #555755, and your background colour to #3C3C3C. Now create a nice texturing effect by selecting Filter > Render > Clouds from the menu.

Posted Image

Step 2: Time to add a bit more of a texture, so, this time use Filter > Artistic > Sponge, with the following settings:

Brush Size: 0

Definition: 0

Smoothness: 1

Posted Image

And then run Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast, with these settings. Or just play around with them to get an effect that best suits your needs.

Brightness: -15

Contrast: - 65

Posted Image

Step 3: Looking good huh? Not quite right though, so lets add some realism to the metal by creating a slight highlight across your texture. In this case, it is perhaps best to use the dodge and burn tools with the brush size set to 300px, and the exposure set to 15-20%. Remember to customize to your needs. Add some details in the shadowing / lighting.

Posted Image

Step 4: Now add a few scratches. You can do this with grunge-style brushes available here, or by selecting the burn tool again with a brush size of 1px and an exposure of 15%. Draw as many as you like. Be sure to make your damage subtle, you dont want it to stand out too much or it will distract form the whole effect. don't let the exposure level go any higher than 25%.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Step 5: Grab an ice cold pepsi and relax! You're Done! Just add some rust, text, pictures, whatever you want! :D

Here is my finished product.

Posted Image

If you think this tutorial was helpful, give me a rep point.

and If you want to see more tutorials like this one, Please visit my site, Thanks!

EDIT:: this thing has only gotten one view? and no comments? if this keeps up im not posting tutorials anymore.

Edited by NeXDesigns (see edit history)