xisto Community
Drumknot

Hello To All My Intro

Hi Everyone, My name is Cian and I live in Co Cork, Ireland. I was pointed here from a review site (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) and I have very little experience on the Internet, having only recently gotten access to broadband. What I hope to achieve is to learn about the do's and don't online, so I can look out for my kids and to do this I was hoping to try and set up a moodle site (see https://moodle.org/) so a group of my friends and myself can learn from each other at our own pace (i.e. very slowly). As I have said I am unfamiliar with the etiquette of forum sites and find some of the acronyms just plain baffling so please forgive any inadvertent errors on my part. I have 3 children so don't have much time for hobbies but I do help train our local under 8 hurling team (the greatest sport in the world) and enjoy reading (my username comes from a character in a Terry Prattchet novel). Thanking you in advance for your help and advice, I'm going to need a lot of it and if anyone needs to ask how would a troglodyte would react to something just e-mail me. Regards CianWay-hey, my first forum posting.

Howdy Cian,

First of all welcome to Xisto, secondly congratulations on getting your internet connection which is very helpful and also absolutely useful :lol: . Now you need not worry about the acronyms or forum etiquette because as you post you will get more and more comfortable with the language and style of writing. The most common acronyms you find here can be read about at http://pc.net/slang/

Interesting, about the hurling team part and your post is really nice so I am sure that you would not have trouble earning here. Looking forward to your participation in the foums and I have listed below a few topics that I feel should help you understand how to get your hosting and support queries solved :-

Anything else, you are always welcome to ask it here.. I hope you enjoy posting in the forums.. Have fun :XD:

lol as I was going through the book section of the forum, i came across this topic http://forums.xisto.com/topic/48180-terry-pratchetts-discworld-series/

So why not talk about which one of Terry's books you like the best? I would like to read about your opinions :lol:

Welcome Drumknot/Cian! Love the name, but I can't say I've read Terry Pratchett before. Is he/she a science fiction & fantasy author? If not, then that'd be why I don't know him/her (I'm very particular to the genre). If he/she is, however, I'll chalk it up to being obsessed with Elizabeth Haydon and Neal Stephenson as of late :D

You are from where I wish I was :) ... Seriously, I have an obsession with Ireland and its lore... but I am woefully grounded in the country of my birth for the foreseeable future. :lol:

Anyhow! I am a mother of a 2 year old daughter, so I completely understand where you are coming from on the protective issue. I've been there, seen that (and done a bit more :P) when it comes to the internet, and even struggled to master an addiction to it for many years (which I can say that I finally managed to succeed at!). I've also experienced my share of predatory scares, but I look at it now as an extremely good experience for helping me prevent my daughter from going through the same. I don't believe in restricting her from learning for herself, mind you, but being able to educate her on what to expect is extremely important to me.

I would like to offer my various talents in art (traditional & graphic), writing, web coding and other general knowledge, and it shall remain at your behest for whatever you may need! Welcome to the community; you'll find that there is a wealth of wonderful people lurking in the shadows, and all of them willing to assist however they possibly may!

I see that my darling Tenshi has already taken care of showing you the most necessary links for getting started. Somehow, I recognize that particular layout of links... :D It's all good, though!

:D :XD:

So congratulations on your first forum post, and I hope to see more soon! Don't forget to check out the shoutbox. I'm generally lurking there between 8 am and 12 pm PST (GMT -8) and others frequently peek in throughout the day.

You've met Tenshi. Some other friends, and/or otherwise generally awesome individuals to keep an eye out for are:

SaintMichael, jlhaslip, rayzoredge, Baniboy, kimochitim, rvalkass, k_nitin_r, andreip and AshBash

Those are the ones I've personally met thusfar, but there are many others, too!

So, have fun and I hope to see you around soon!

Edited by Fractured.Logic (see edit history)

Hi Cian (a.k.a. Drumknot :lol: ) !Welcome to Xisto! Good to have you on the forum.I've helped setup Moodle at a university I taught at, so do let me know when you're ready to have the thing put up. BTW, I'd also suggest putting up a blog where you can post recent updates. WordPress is amazing for that kind of stuff, and I'm a WordPress widget developer, so I could probably cook up something that you're looking for.Here are some of the more commonly used acronyms in forums:BTW = By The WayIMHO = In My Humble OpinionLOL = Laughing Out LoudROFL = Rolling On the Floor LaughingIf you come across more, you could feed them into Google and put them up on a chart next to your computer.Regards,Nitin ReddyPS: I met a guy a while back who thought LoL meant "Lots of Love" and it was a pretty common in his circle of friends, so I'd watch out for non-standard acronyms that are confusingly similar to other more popular ones.