xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mhlavida3

Login System creating a login system

Hi!To answer your question, we need to know more about what your server can do. I'm guessing you are not hosted on the Xisto servers. If you've got a server running Windows that has ASP.NET installed, you can build a secure area of the website using ASP.NET. If you're running a server with PHP, Python or Perl, you'd write a script in one of those scripting languages to create a protected area on your website.In either case, the basic idea is to obtain a username and password from the user, compare it against values from a database (think of this as an Excel sheet with usernames and passwords) and if it is found, we set a cookie on the user's computer identifying him/her as an authenticated user of the site. Then, on a password-protected page, we check if the user has the cookie - if he/she does, we let him/her in, or we toss them back to a login page. Often, on the login page, we also provide a Register link which enters the user's desired username and password into the database.If you can reply back to this thread indicating what server-side technology your server supports, we might even be able to point you to a script that you can use.Regards

There are several topics regarding the creation of a login system. You should use the search function from the forum to get one of those. Anyway, you should also specify what you do expect to use to create this (PHP with MYSQL, ASP, etc.). My advice would be to first determine that, and then, ask again if you have any doubts.

Edited by Pankyy (see edit history)

Hi!Since my last post in this thread, I've actually signed up for a hosting package with Xisto. There's an option to have WordPress installed for you. With WordPress, you can put up articles that are only visible to users who actually have accounts on your website. There's a lot more that you can do with WordPress. For a glimpse with a crippled (they disable certain features to get you to pay for the upgraded package) WordPress blog, you can get a free account on WordPress.com and try it out - if you like it and desire more, you can subscribe to a hosting account with WordPress and take things to the next level.Regards,Nitin Reddy