xisto Community
tinoymalayil

Running Muliple Os In A Hard Disk Is Good Or Not?

Hello members,please suggest your opinion about running more than one Operating system in a Hard disk drive.some of my friends told me that running multiple operating system may affect the stability of OS in the primary partition(C Drive).Is it correct or not?

Well if you install the second OS to another drive I don't think it will be a problem. I used to run Windows 98 and Windows Xp before on different drives and I experienced no problem. But be sure to use the never OS's system tools if you are ever going to use them.

I ran Windows XP and Ubuntu on the same hard drive in my laptop for a while with no ill effects to either OS. The partitions are completely separate from one another, and won't affect each other (unless you mount the other partition to access some files or something). The only area of the hard drive they both use is the master boot record (or MBR). That contains the data about which partitions to boot, any menu to display to let you select the OS, etc. At the moment I think Windows does it badly, so install Windows first, then install other operating systems so that their boot loaders are used.

... running multiple operating system may affect the stability of OS in the primary partition(C Drive).Is it correct or not?

That is definitely incorrect. The only way any kind of stability would be affected is if you were modifying one operating system's files from the the other. The only issue you could have with installing multiple operating system (doesn't matter if on one hard drive or several) is the order in which you install them. For example, if you want to install Vista and XP on one computer, you have to follow the correct instructions so that one doesn't overwrite the other. However, once they are installed, you don't have to worry about one affecting the other without your express permission to do so.

Regards,

z.

Different OS's on the same comp comes down to ur specs. If you have a slow/old computer its not a recommendation even if you have the hdd space. But if your specs are good and it's all fast and you have lots of RAM then you''ll have no worries. I recommend having separate partitions, as it will make life easier.

You must have another partition to install windows 7...so please create another partition and select that drive while in the setup of Windows 7..You can run both OS in same Hard Disk Drive...It is functioning well in the case of Xp.so try......

Maybe if they are running at the same time it will add workload to the HD.

They wouldn't be running together unless you are running one of the operating systems within another (using VMWare,VirtualBox or some other virtualization tool). So, for most people, that is not a consideration.

Regards,

z.
Edited by zakaluka (see edit history)

I have windows vista, and want to install windows 7. How to do this, could anyone explain in simple steps, should I create another partition for Windows 7?

You can find step-by-step instructions at http://lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-with-xp-or-vista . Note that I don't have Vista or Windows 7 and I haven't tried the instructions for myself (although reading through, they make sense). Follow the directions and don't hesitate to ask for clarification (either on the forum there or here).

Regards,

Sachin.

Usually the process of installing more than one operating system on a single hard drive is always the hardest part. After that everything seems like walk in the park. So long as you don't fiddle too much with the things you have little idea about, OS boot settings, etc, you should be fine.