xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

Firefox: Invalid Security Certificate Error

This is the first time ive ever had a problem with firefox, and was hoping someone could offer come incite into my problem

Just this morning when I opened up FireFox to check my e-mail, i was going to gmail, and it told me

Secure Connection Failed

https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate has expired.

The certificate will not be valid until 3/27/2009 3:20 PM.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_issuer_certificate)

So, naturally i clicked on the link to add the exception, 'or you can add an exception' and added the certificate as an exception and gained access to gmail. But there was a small problem, it showed up in an HTML only version, without the graphics.

I then went to yahoo mail and the same thing happened, but there is no way that i can get yahoo mail's graphics to show. Does anyone know why firefox is suddenly doing this?

I mean, i can try and tolerate having to add the security certificates every time i visit a new site, but 1) it'll get old and 2) if the graphics don't show, what's the point? I have already re-installed firefox to try and solve it that way.

I've managed to somewhat duplicate the issue on my Linux machine, getting the same error code you quoted. However, after accepting the certificate a couple of times (literally just two times: one upon visiting the Gmail site and i think the other upon signing in), it fixed itself up. All the images became viewable and i was able to view the standard view (mode) in Gmail with no problem. This was using Firefox 3.0.10 (which is the current version at the time of this writing). So you may have a setting somewhere that is deleting your certificates upon closing Firefox. Or does it happen every single time you visit these sites regardless of closing Firefox? I get the impression that this wasn't necessarily caused by an upgrade installation and that you've had Firefox 3.0.10 for a while. Or perhaps you're using Firefox 2. Either way, i couldn't fully duplicate your problem, so it appears specific to your set-up.

It was more along the lines of my settings ironically enough. Just for future reference for people who might have this problem and find this forum, if you get an error code like this and similar situations, check your machines time. and ensure that it is set to the correct year, month, day, hour, and second. I guess the installation of a new processor last night reset my computers internal clock setting my time back to June of 2003. And apparently there is some coloration between the images on yahoo and gmail and your machines time. So once i set my machines time back to the correct settings, it started to work just fine. Thanks for attempting to find a solution to my problem truefusion :lol: appreciate it.

Fix foundFirefox: Invalid Security Certificate Error

Was getting this same error this morning when attempting to logon, to both hotmail and yahoo email servers.

Checked my pc date/time...And it was set for some f*$ reason, to May 28, 1995. Corrected and able to logon again.

Date changed yesterday pm (5/25/09) after running CCleaner on my pc.

-reply by Cheb

Had this same problem.  Date and time was wrong on my PC.  This thread helped me find my stupid mistake XD

Last night, I was overclocking and set my FSB speed too high, on restarting my computer it refused to boot... So I popped the battery on the mobo to reset it... And it reset my date/time to Jan 2nd of 2002 lol (didn't think about it).

Firefox is working, so thanks again.  I feel so dumb.

-reply by Neverent

Mozilla Firefox Certificate ExpiredFirefox: Invalid Security Certificate Error

Thanks a lot.. It was all in the system date.. The mozilla firefox gives me the old certification instead of the current certificate.. Thanks again...

-reply by Mark Alvin

what happens when date is right but popup still occurs?Firefox: Invalid Security Certificate Error

For those of us who do have the correct system time, how do we getRid of an invalid security certificate warning that keeps appearing(even when not on the site) and has NO way to accept it?  HittingCancel doesn't work.  Hitting view certificate doesn't work.  Using a MacBook Pro with 10.4.11 OS and Firefox 3.5.3.

Thanks

-question by frustrated_one

security certificate errorsFirefox: Invalid Security Certificate Error

I know how the date settings get messed up! It's a Trojan ie either JTdownloader, or one of the forms of BHBbackdoor which messes with your calendar settings. You get rid of the file through your virus scanner, but it persists in telling you there is a security problem. If you do a search on the web, most answers are posted by software vendors trying to get you to buy their product. They will tell you to try re-installing your certificate, which of course doesn't work. You are likely to purchase a program from them, only to find that it was your clock/calendar all along, meanwhile, they've made a sale. It's a dastardly and despicable sales practice. You can remedy the whole problem simply by re-setting the calendar and clock on your system.

-reply by Keya

Thank you!Firefox: Invalid Security Certificate Error

Really appreciated this forum. I was getting the message that google.Com was unsecure, ironically from Google's security system, and came here, and saw the date reference. I just had some work done on my computer, and evidently it reset the date/time features when they did that. I applied the fix there, and wallah- no problem!

-reply by Jedidiah