xisto Community

Your use of the logo in the header breaches Microsoft's Trademark Guidelines. Rather than being sued by Microsoft, I recommend you come up with your own logo, or get an appropriate licence from Microsoft to use their logo.

Also, the little welcome message is in French, while the rest of the site is in English:

Bienvenue sur Win7World, visiteur!

When replying to topics, there are two places to enter the confirmation code. The first one has no image connected to it, yet asks for 6 characters to be entered. Next to that is the reCAPTCHA box where you can type another code in. One needs to be removed because, at the moment, it's impossible to make any posts.

Oh wow, really interesting. With the logo, what is wrong with it? can it not be a replica of the windows logo to displace more of what the forum is about? Even if I made it in photoshop, would it not be allowed?And maybe I should close it until I get this sorted. out.

With the logo, what is wrong with it? can it not be a replica of the windows logo to displace more of what the forum is about? Even if I made it in photoshop, would it not be allowed?

It's still their logo, whether you create it from scratch or not. In all honesty, Microsoft are unlikely to come after you :lol: Seeing as the forum is called Win7World you could easily use a globe coloured in the same four colours in quarters as the Windows logo to get a similar effect, but a unique logo.

I'll create a more custom logo now.I also fixed what lines I know of and translated them to English and fixed permissions with the validation for posting.Once I get a new logo, I'll open it up and if you notice any non-English words, please tell me.

Well this is a somewhat 'late' reply...The layout and design seems to be simple and fine.Anyway, there are stuff I would suggest you remove from your forum;Remove the Member's birthday thingy, you have only 2 members, there's no point for that thing's existance?It would also be a good idea to combine a few forums in there, but still a good start. I've seen forums that have look like they are mega-sized with big amount of users, untill I've seen that everysingle forum has the 0 topics and 0 replies in it. It's good to start with a small amount and no subforums. After that, you can make subforums and divide the topics to different parts of them. You should also remove the "(Powered by Invision Power Board)" from the title and put something that has something to do with your site, like "Win7World, discussion forum".Also it seems that you've enabled caching for visitors, I suggest disabling it. Because if you have a lot of traffic from let's say, google, it will eat up your BW. (I'm talking about showing new posts image I noticed, the yellow anvelope one, there should be a setting to disable it for visitors and enable for registered users).Another suggestion of mine would be to move the time 'box' from the bottom of the page to the top.Also I suggest SEOing your site, for example with URL_Rewrite, which removes the ugly "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and shows up something relative to the forum/topic like win7world.com/forums/software/topic-name. Just like in Xisto. I don't know if IPB has any mods for this, but it should!

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

@TramposchHi!For a minute there, I thought it was a Microsoft-run website when I looked at the header. If something is confusingly similar that way, it's illegal. Think along the lines of the older Chevrolet Spark (back in the Daewoo days) and the Chery QQ. Or the Apple iPhone and the TV Mobile (yes, that's the brand name - it looks just like an iPhone but without the gestures or the AppStore, and it has a cable to connect to your TV!!!).You cannot use the Windows logo because it's a Microsoft trademark! Have you heard of the time when a guy named Mike maintained his personal website at mikerosoft.com - Microsoft sued him for having a similar name. Due to the huge press coverage and public protest, Microsoft had to step back in the interest of its public image. Having exactly the same logo is certainly something of concern here.Regards,Nitin Reddy