xisto Community
frozen.fish

Adding Xisto Host Shared Ip To Dns Records

Hello all!Would like to know how to properly add an IP of the host for DNS records? possibly without changing nameservers.Ive added the posted shared IP posted in the control panel to my @ & www records and I get "Apache is working on your cPanel? and WHM™ Server"Want to add an IP instead of nameservers.. Anyone care to help a newb out please.Thanks a lot!

Hello all!
Would like to know how to properly add an IP of the host for DNS records? possibly without changing nameservers.
Ive added the posted shared IP posted in the control panel to my @ & www records and I get "Apache is working on your cPanelŽ and WHM Server"
Want to add an IP instead of nameservers.. Anyone care to help a newb out please.

Thanks a lot!

Hi frozen fish,
I think I can help you, because I have been managing DNS for a while.
Can you cut and paste your zone records here so that I can understand what you have done?
Also please explain where (in which DNS records) and why you want an IP instead of nameservers.

Well i need the DNS records setted in the registrar so I can use google apps with it. change the cname,mx, srv and such..Now im wondering what is the proper @ and www record to be used for add-on domains?I just copied the IP(shared) posted in my cpanel and typed in the @ and www record on godaddy control panel(ughh.. hate it its teribly slow.) now I get a congratulations message your cpanel and whm are working...The IP I pasted was 208.87.***.***, but if i use this one for the main domain it works just fine.

Well i need the DNS records setted in the registrar so I can use google apps with it. change the cname,mx, srv and such..

Now im wondering what is the proper @ and www record to be used for add-on domains?

I just copied the IP(shared) posted in my cpanel and typed in the @ and www record on godaddy control panel(ughh.. hate it its teribly slow.) now I get a congratulations message your cpanel and whm are working...

The IP I pasted was 208.87.***.***, but if i use this one for the main domain it works just fine.

Interesting. Are you using godaddy's Off-site DNS? I would like to give it a try. Is it free for domains registered with godaddy?

For the add-on domain you need to work with the DNS zone for that domain, not the DNS zone for the main domain in your CPANEL. Each domain has a different DNS zone. Assuming you are working on the DNS zone for the add-on domain, point the records to the same IP as the main domain. The server will know how to respond.

Again, if you post your records here, it will be much easier to help you. You can edit the IP if you are concerned with making it public (not sure why)

Hello,Im using godaddys DNS management so just editing zone records @ and WWW.. it's a .info domain from them..I cannot seem to add addons and parked domains, upon double checking the @ and www records were correct. Ive also contacted and talked to support, he was really helpful and manually added those domains yet he told me that i have to add xisto's nameservers which i dont want to do... i still want to use the domain registrar's nameservers only change @ and WWW records..Hmm.. i think it's the cpanel that is having the problem, anyway i am testing it with co.cc domain, ive just changed it to nameserver instead of zonerecords lets see if it lets me add it.Any help with this is well appreciated.. i do not want to use xisto nameservers but instead godaddy nameserver and point the @ and WWW records here..The IP im refering to is.. 208.87.***.***

Hello,
Im using godaddys DNS management so just editing zone records @ and WWW.. it's a .info domain from them..

I cannot seem to add addons and parked domains, upon double checking the @ and www records were correct.

Ive also contacted and talked to support, he was really helpful and manually added those domains yet he told me that i have to add xisto's nameservers which i dont want to do... i still want to use the domain registrar's nameservers only change @ and WWW records..

Hmm.. i think it's the cpanel that is having the problem, anyway i am testing it with co.cc domain, ive just changed it to nameserver instead of zonerecords lets see if it lets me add it.

Any help with this is well appreciated.. i do not want to use xisto nameservers but instead godaddy nameserver and point the @ and WWW records here..

The IP im refering to is.. 208.87.***.***

Hi frozen.fish
You cannot add addon domains or parked domains to a DNS zone.
Each domain has its own DNS zone.

Let me help you...Please post your zone records here. Something like this:

Domain laidomain.es
; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1.1 <<>> axfr laidomain.es @ns1.xname.org.; (1 server found);; global options:  printcmdlaidomain.es.		14400	IN	SOA	ns.computinghost.com. support.unixbsd.info. 2009051800 14400 7200 3600000 86400laidomain.es.		14400	IN	A	208.87.xxx.xxxlaidomain.es.		14400	IN	NS	ns.computinghost.com.laidomain.es.		14400	IN	NS	ns0.xname.org.laidomain.es.		14400	IN	NS	ns1.xname.org.laidomain.es.		14400	IN	NS	ns2.computinghost.com.laidomain.es.		14400	IN	MX	10 aspmx.l.google.com.laidomain.es.		14400	IN	MX	20 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.laidomain.es.		14400	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 a mx ptr include:aspmx.googlemail.com ~all"cpanel.laidomain.es.	14400	IN	A	208.87.xxx.xxxftp.laidomain.es.		14400	IN	A	208.87.xxx.xxxgoogleffffffffb157c268.laidomain.es. 14400	IN CNAME google.com.localhost.laidomain.es.	14400	IN	A	127.0.0.1mail.laidomain.es.		14400	IN	CNAME	laidomain.es.webdisk.laidomain.es.	14400	IN	A	208.87.xxx.xxxwebmail.laidomain.es.	14400	IN	A	208.87.xxx.xxxwhm.laidomain.es.		14400	IN	A	208.87.xxx.xxx http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.		14400	IN	CNAME	laidomain.es.laidomain.es.		14400	IN	SOA	ns.computinghost.com. support.unixbsd.info. 2009051800 14400 7200 3600000 86400;; Query time: 52 msec;; SERVER: 87.98.164.164#53(87.98.164.164);; WHEN: Tue May 19 13:05:20 2009;; XFR size: 21 records (messages 1)
I have removed the final part of the IP addresses because you are doing it, although I am now aware of any security risk if I post the whole IP.
I have also changed the domain, just in case.

What is the danger of posting the actual IP and domain?

---------------------------------------------------

I have not tried godaddy.com's DNS service.

Have you considered using other DNS services?
I have used these free DNS services:

- http://www.xname.org/
- http://dyn.com/managed-dns-express/
- https://www.zoneedit.com/

A couple more services that I have found, but not tried:
- http://dyn.com/managed-dns-express/
- http://freedns.afraid.org/

Also, if you send me your domain names by PM I can analyze them and tell you what you can do.
Edited by truefusion (see edit history)

Great thanks a lot freenrg!! :lol:

here is another domain in question:

; <<>> DiG 9.2.3 <<>> @dns1.menandmice.com ker-co.com A;; global options: printcmd;; Got answer:;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 28507;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 5, ADDITIONAL: 5 ;; QUESTION SECTION:;ker-co.com. IN A ;; ANSWER SECTION:ker-co.com.	1800	IN	A 208.87.243.146	 ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:ker-co.com.	3600	IN	NS dns1.name-services.com.	ker-co.com.	3600	IN	NS dns2.name-services.com.	ker-co.com.	3600	IN	NS dns3.name-services.com.	ker-co.com.	3600	IN	NS dns4.name-services.com.	ker-co.com.	3600	IN	NS dns5.name-services.com.	 ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:dns1.name-services.com.	135873	IN	A 98.124.192.1	dns2.name-services.com.	135873	IN	A 69.64.157.18	dns3.name-services.com.	135873	IN	A 98.124.193.1	dns4.name-services.com.	135873	IN	A 69.64.145.225	dns5.name-services.com.	135873	IN	A 70.42.37.7	 ;; Query time: 457 msec;; SERVER: 217.151.171.7#53(dns1.menandmice.com);; WHEN: Tue May 19 22:35:46 2009;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 233

I cant add this one its giving me errors.. Tha A section is pointed at the shared IP..
Edited by frozen.fish (see edit history)

Hi
I am getting the same errors for a .com domain and a co.cc domain.
I have pointed the nameservers to GAMMA but I cannot create the addon domains.

cooldomain1.com
Error from park wrapper: Using nameservers with the following IPs: 208.109.255.9,216.69.185.9 Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

Those are godaddy nameservers

208.109.255.9,   ns18.domaincontrol.com. [Glue: 208.109.255.9] [TTL: 172800]216.69.185.9	ns17.domaincontrol.com. [Glue: 216.69.185.9] [TTL: 172800]

cooldomain2.co.cc
Error from park wrapper: Using nameservers with the following IPs: 222.122.6.21,222.122.6.20,118.219.232.169 Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

Those are co.cc nameservers
222.122.6.21,		ns2.co.cc222.122.6.20,		ns1.co.cc118.219.232.169	ns3.co.cc. [IP: 118.219.232.169] [TTL: 86400]

This error message is not easy to understand.

I think it means that the host server (GAMMA in this case) should
- host the DNS zone ("Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers") or
- have information about which nameservers are serving the DNS zone ("have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns").

I do not understand why Xisto - Web Hosting introduces this restriction.

The error has nothing to do with the co.cc domain being a subdomain.
Edited by freenrg (see edit history)

So it's at their end that has the restriction? Cause I was playing around with my "co.cc" too and was able to add it as a parked domain when I changed the nameservers to Xisto..But was unsuccessfull with adding it, when the A and WWW records was used to point it here..Any mods or old timers here confirm this please?

So it's at their end that has the restriction? Cause I was playing around with my "co.cc" too and was able to add it as a parked domain when I changed the nameservers to Xisto..

But was unsuccessfull with adding it, when the A and WWW records was used to point it here..

Any mods or old timers here confirm this please?

Yes, exactly. That is what I meant...

If you enter the xisto nameservers in your account on http://www.co.cc/ then the Xisto - Web Hosting cpanel will allow you to add the domain.

If you do not enter xisto nameservers in your account on http://www.co.cc/, and instead you use co.cc nameservers and manage the DNS on http://www.co.cc/ then the Xisto - Web Hosting cpanel will not allow you to add the domain.

----

Now.

You have already added the domain.

Have you tried using co.cc nameservers and managing DNS on http://www.co.cc/ AFTER adding the domain on Xisto - Web Hosting cpanel?

I suspect you will be able to do it.

it works allright! what freenrg said! you can change it back later on.... but some of my domains are already well configured(MX,txt,etc..) ill just let them add it for now, again appreciate the hand.there is a restriction you cannot add domains if you dont use their nameservers. now why non of the mods or the support told me this one?