xisto Community
Len

Dot Tk Now Giving Bannerless Domains

For all who don't know what dot.tk does, its a service offered by the country of Tokelau, a country in the South Pacific offering their country top level domains for free worldwide. May be it was a few months back when I first came to know about that website. At that time it was showing banner ads on all its free domains. But today I just registered a free domain for my friend, and what I didn't see, is those big banners. May be they are earning much more now to keep the service ad-free. Also because the uni.cc are back up again, they are onto the competition offering free domains. But uni's got the upper hand, as they offer complete dns control.But I am here to get a .com domain. :lol: And just wanted to keep you updated of the free domains world. Right now I think the most popular ones giving out free domains are:uni.ccdot.tkfreedomain.co.nrDo leave your thoughts.

I'm not a fan of free domains like .tk and I don't think I've ever used one. They just don't seem as professional to me as a .com one would. But it's good that they have free short urls for people who can't get a real domain for whatever reason. That way it's easy to remember in case you want to go back to it. I've always remembered .tk having a bunch of ads, which was one of the big reasons why I've never liked it. They'll probably get a lot more people now that the banners are gone. ^^I'm pretty sure .tk is just redirecting so it gets kind of annoying when you want to link a certain page on the site.

i never knew .tk had banners.. .tk could have been better, wish you could change DNS.. but all they offer is a redirect..go for .uni.cc or co.cc(free for first year only.) instead, you can play around with it just like any other domain.

tk sucksDot Tk Now Giving Bannerless Domains

tk sucks for one reason if you generate a lot of traffic tk takes backThe domain and parks it to whatever type of traffic you wereGenerating.  they don't even tell you they took back your domain.  thenIf you try to re-register the domain they'll only offer it to you forSale.  and it doesn't take that much traffic to get your domain takenAway from you.  you're better off getting  a .Com domain.

-reply by mnrnnalte9mh2l27

you can't edit the dns on the .tk domains i'd prefer .co.cc yes maybe you can by earning a 100credits by means of referring people into their site but i don't want to refer for just a domain like that... i would just save mycent and order a domain .net in Xisto - Web Hosting free and professional :lol:

No offense, but whenever a new member comes onto these forums and talks about these free sites, I get a bit amused. There sure are a lot of places where you can get free domains and hosting and a lot of other stuff as well for free, although you have to sacrifice something in return (ad space, etc) Here on Xisto we sacrifice precious time, typing out posts :lol: But it's worth it, right? All those other sites you mentioned may be good, but they do have something bad about them as well. So why come to a place where you are getting good services and talk about some other place where you're bound to lose something? :P

Dude... it was always said that the .tk domain name provider always put lots of ads on your site... too much to generate good traffic and an audience... if you are really serious about your website, get posting here on Xisto and earn $14 USD a year to get your free domain. It's not hard. I earn way more than that in a month... so you'll earn way more than that in a year too... maybe enough to last you a few years of not posting before you have to come back again...So yeah... Like I said, I do prefer .com domains... And they do better in SEO and make your site rank higher in search engines too!!!

Well website that have .com are more trusted and thought of as professional. Forums that have .com are more visited and pondered upon. .com are like mature adults and tk and cc are like young wannabes. Adults are more osught after arent they. Well for those who want to go for temporary domains for blogsa dn maybe small clan pages. Well i have two doubts. 1> Can you shift back to a .com from a .cc. Are there are any complications as such? Can we have two domains pointing to the same place? 2> Suppose i have a .tk can i have my pages like .tk/forum for example? Or the whole website is termed by just one name?

I used to use .tk long before and left because of those ads. But now even they removed those banners i will not use because its very unattractive for the users and I dont want to use some other countries website domain names.....

1> Can you shift back to a .com from a .cc. Are there are any complications as such? Can we have two domains pointing to the same place? 2> Suppose i have a .tk can i have my pages like .tk/forum for example? Or the whole website is termed by just one name?

Yes one can have two domains pointing to the same place, but it doesn't work that way. Only one domain can have authority of hosting under it, I mean the hosting account can point to a single domain name. However one can forward the other domain to this domain name. So in practice both the domains point to the same location.

I don't think you can have .tk based pages as URL's, I suppose .tk either cloaks the whole domain so that the browser address bar always displays the tk domain or completely transfers to the other domain location. However, I have seen .co.nr with sub url pages, although they havent mentioned this on their website, but it works only on html pages and not dynamically generated pages.
Edited by BCD (see edit history)

Yes one can have two domains pointing to the same place, but it doesn't work that way. Only one domain can have authority of hosting under it, I mean the hosting account can point to a single domain name. However one can forward the other domain to this domain name. So in practice both the domains point to the same location.
I don't think you can have .tk based pages as URL's, I suppose .tk either cloaks the whole domain so that the browser address bar always displays the tk domain or completely transfers to the other domain location. However, I have seen .co.nr with sub url pages, although they havent mentioned this on their website, but it works only on html pages and not dynamically generated pages.

Well thanks alot. If i can have two domains pointing to the same position i think i will have one temporary one to my forum. But it don't it will create a nice image of my forum. Will check upon that later untill i got enough credits from this place to buy a domain which is certainly not soon.

Yes i think i get what tk does. It just shows something.tk in the url bar while the pages may change below. Right? I am certainly not into it. Well i will research a bit for co.nr if they actually have sub pages.
What about .cc ? Does anyone have any idea about it? Any idea?

Banner-less .tk domain will help many people. Who can't afford to post on Xisto/asta. Or people who can't afford to buy it. I think many forum and blog owners will use this service now for sure. But is this limited time offer ? Also if they're providing this service for longer run. How they're going to generate money from it ? Redirection and DNS things cost money and bandwidth especially. I guess they're attracting more users. Why ? Cause this offer shows that their userbase is decreasing and they can't build business on limited users. So this free offer is for building business. I mean few out of them will purchase paid plans from them.

I never used .tk domains even though I knew about them, they had some limitations and those annoying popups, even though they don't have them now, still there are better domains you could get with dns support or without. :P

.tk always bothered me they always had those ads on every page, I even think that sometimes it kept de-maximized my browser, also if i remember correctly the url is always somthing.tk I could never tell wha page I was on. The only good thing i remember was that the registration is really fast.