xisto Community
thenetbreeze

Joomla - Upload Template Built Localhost To The Server

Hello,I am new here. I am new to Joomla , too. I worked at a template in Joomla, localhost, everything it's ok. Now I need to install Joomla on a server, and this template. I know I have to copy the files of the template in templates directory of Joomla installation. But the funy thing is that I did'n want to set up all the modules, menus, and so on. Maybe I have to replace the entire database in phpMyAdmin. Or to copy the entire Joomla directory from localhost to the server? Any advice on the subject will be appreciated.Thank you,Traian

export import the database.. you can easily do that with from an option in phpmyadmin. havent done it though but i posted a thread somewhere asking how to do this too..

First, create a Database and a user on the Server using the installed method, ie: mysql wizard from the Cpanel (or equal).Localhost: Export the Database using phpmyadmin and the SQL tab. This will create an SQL file which containss all the Database structure and contents in a text file.Server-side: Import the Database using the phpmyadmin SQL tab. Check and double-check that the Database name/user/password and the prefix is correctly written. Some Web Hosts require specific names, prefixes, etc for the DB Server. Check your Account information.Also, I am not familiar with the Joomla software, but you might need to tweak some settings. Often the URL and path information is maintained inside the Database for finding specific folders, etcetera, so you might need to alter some of the information inside the DB using phpmyadmin so that the folders/files can be found by the server-side version.

I have done that myself.

STEP 1. Install Joomla on the remote server

As explained above, the name of the database may be different from the one in your local installation, but Joomla will work fine because you are installing it now with the correct database name, user and password on the remote server.

It is better to install Joomla than to copy the files from your local installation because the Joomla installation will warn you if there is anything incorrect with the installation on that server and it will create a configuration.php file that is correct for that server.

STEP 2. Install the template on the remote server

I prefer to use the admin site to install the template rather than copying files via FTP. It is simpler and faster, and you also get a message if the template is not correctly installed for any reason.

STEP 3. Copy the Database contents from local to remote

EXPORT your local database to a .sql file using phpMyAdmin.

IMPORT the .sql file to your remote database using phpMyAdmin.

Let me know if you need help with any of the steps.

Edited by freenrg (see edit history)