xisto Community
mrdee

Vista Network Problem

I have recently bought a laptop with Windows Vista Home Basic on it, and I networked it to my PC, which runs Windows XP SP3.The networking has worked, on both machines, the other machine is recognised, however, when I try to copy a file from my PC to my laptop, and I do it from the laptop, I invariably get a popup which says I need permission to perform this action.When I log into my laptop from the PC, I can copy any file with no problem.On the laptop, the file sharing is set to on, and I have also selected to allow anyone with network access to share files and folders.The PC asks for a username and password, and then lets me through, on the laptop, there is no login screen, I have immediate access, but further access to the files is blocked.Sorry I cannot be more specific, but I am very unfamiliar with that Vista rubbish (don't like it one bit).

I have recently bought a laptop with Windows Vista Home Basic on it, and I networked it to my PC, which runs Windows XP SP3.
The networking has worked, on both machines, the other machine is recognised, however, when I try to copy a file from my PC to my laptop, and I do it from the laptop, I invariably get a popup which says I need permission to perform this action.

When I log into my laptop from the PC, I can copy any file with no problem.

On the laptop, the file sharing is set to on, and I have also selected to allow anyone with network access to share files and folders.
The PC asks for a username and password, and then lets me through, on the laptop, there is no login screen, I have immediate access, but further access to the files is blocked.

Sorry I cannot be more specific, but I am very unfamiliar with that Vista rubbish (don't like it one bit).

So you are saying that you can't copy files FROM vista to XP? If so you will have to turn off the "block or allow" in control panel or just access the default admin account on Windows via the Vista OS and send the files off of that account.

Edit: To turn off the UAC Open up Control Panel, and type in "UAC" in the search box. You should see a link for Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off
Edited by ~Davey (see edit history)