xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
webishqiptar

Social Networking

Online Social Networking

Online Social networks are networks created to gather people of generally same interests for sharing their ideas, knowledge and experience online. This is made possible by web-based services which tent to make users communication much more dynamic and interactive. Such innovative web-based applications are chat, messaging, file sharing, blogging, groups…etc.

The first steps of Online Social networking were websites such as Classmates.com created on 1995 and SixDegrees.com (1997), which aimed to maintain connection through former school mates.

But online Social networking and social networks begun to prosper in terms of popularity and user reach with the creation of MySpace and FaceBook on 2005 while getting millions of page views.

This raised the attention of giants like Yahoo and Google who in addition created Yahoo!360 and Orkut respectively, hence so including Social networking as an important component of internet business strategy.

Social Networking Models

Social networks are built in a way that allows members to create a profile of their own where they share their interests whith other members. There are typically to models: Internal Social networking whom users are invited to join a group or community by invitation only. Internal Social networking can exist inside a social network while External Social Networking are public and opened for all users.

A simple example for External Social networking could be MySpace or Facebook and private groups or communities created by members of the social network would represent Internal Social Networking.

Social networks can evolute to business models. That is, a social network with millions of visitors can generate lots of targeted online advertising. This comes from users sharing similar common interests which leads to targeted advertising.

A pure example of this would be MySpace which is fairly a promoting social Network for musicians which gathers music fans together. This can be converted to targeted online advertising for your company which can advertise i.e music business products to this huge community such as MySpace.

Some other Social networks such as Linkedin gather proffesional business users who share their business skills and products. This types of social networks offers payable memberships for their service.

Nobody ever mentions Lycos.co.uk.They were doing the whole social network thingas far back as 2000,2001. Definitely before facebook got popular. Myself, I've always seen the entire internet as being a large social network anyway. No pointin following trends.

Nobody ever mentions Lycos.co.uk.They were doing the whole social network thingas far back as 2000,2001. Definitely before facebook got popular. Myself, I've always seen the entire internet as being a large social network anyway. No point
in following trends.

I really don't know much about Lycos... I remember I once used Tripod (webhosting), but I have the idea that that "social networking" you say the were doing was different from what it is today.
Let's say, a centralised way of showing yourself (profile), what you upload and you like, connected to your friends', isn't the same as webhosting, chat and forums, I think.

Anyway, Lycos.co.uk is kind of closing down or something, right? Only websearch and shopping is available.