xisto Community
onscreen

Rebooting On It's Own My PC is on Crack I think

Nothing to do with software in total. One of the obvious cause of random reboots is due to overheating issues. Check your HSF of any kind to see if its clogged with dust / dirt. Overhaul your casing interior, clean it and redo the booting. Overheating isnt only from the processor itself but alot from the mainbaord north / southbridge HSF. Clean any air vents , airflow path to make a better flow for the air.Next possible cause is faulty memory. Faulty memory is due to some interference or poor airflow in your casing. If you have more than a slot of memory module, test the booting by unplugging one of it and do the same on the next.I am curious, what Pesario model are you currently using?

Help me my friends. Got a major PC problem here. My Compaq Presario which runs on XP SP2 has started to reboot on it's own free will. I have tried to reinstall windows recovery which on this PC you can get from the D drive. And it is still doing it. Also once it does go back into windows it tells me it has recovered from a serious error. I have updated all drivers and have it back in full SP mode. No I have not downloaded Service back 3 due to I had done that once before and I had a lot of problems with it. A few people have told me it could be one of a few million things from Regerty problem which I fixed and it still is rebooting on it's own. to maybe power supply problems to Processor problems.Any Ideas? I really hate that this is happening now that I am finally back online.

Have you tried a full scan? Maybe a virus is causing this.You can try a adware spyware removal tool. Does the windows startup show any special event, such a file missing or windows error screen reporting that something is going wrong( not that receovery error report)?I had some problems recently on a computer of a friend who had a amvo and avpo trojan who infected registry editor. I removed them manually.

Nothing to do with software in total. One of the obvious cause of random reboots is due to overheating issues. Check your HSF of any kind to see if its clogged with dust / dirt. Overhaul your casing interior, clean it and redo the booting. Overheating isnt only from the processor itself but alot from the mainbaord north / southbridge HSF. Clean any air vents , airflow path to make a better flow for the air.

Bingo. I had thought maybe something had become lose so I opened that puppy up to find so much dust cat or dog hair I could have stuffed 5 pillows. Guess I should have opened it up the day I got it to check.

Anyways after a full reinstall of XP CC Cleaner and AVG all is back to perfect in Echoland.

For future reference, there are a few things you can do to stop this happening again:1. Fit dust filtersYou can buy dust filters to fit most intake fans, and these will prevent them drawing so much dust into your case. Once it's in there, it gets attracted to the components and sticks. If you stop it getting in in the first place, you go a long way to solving the problem.2. Vacuum the caseIf dust filters aren't an option, vacuum your case occasionally. There are special little vacuums you can get to do the job, or take the opposite route and used compressed air. Some say a household vacuum works just as well, but you'd have to be incredibly careful not to damage anything or suck up cables.3. Fit a new CPU fanIf clearing the dust out doesn't solve the problem for long, a new heatsink and fan on your CPU may improve things. There are quite a few decent, cheap HSFs available that will be better than the standard cooler most likely fitted at the moment. A good fan design can also help cool other components on the motherboard, helping the whole system run cooler.Which of these options you take, if any, depends on how long you want to keep the PC.

Well it is now as clean as a baby's bottom, but still rebooting. Not as much though. Starting to feel as it could be a virus that AVG Norton BitDefender are not picking up. I have even gone as far as formatting my HD and reinstalling. I hate to think if it is not a virus but something wrong with the bios or god forbid motherboard.

If it's not rebooting so much then the issue is likely hardware related. Whether it is still heat related, or something else, can be determined. Download an application called CoreTemp. Boot up your PC as normal and open CoreTemp. Note the maximum temperature for your CPU - you PC shuts off automatically when it reaches this temperature. Keep an eye on the temperature as you use the PC, or use the logging features to record the temperatures to a file. When the PC reboots, what is the temperature? (Or turn the PC back on and open the log file to see the last recorded temperature). If it is at or very near to the maximum then you need better cooling in your PC.

If, however, it is not near the maximum temperature then you have other problems. They could be anything from a faulty PSU to bad memory. If it comes to it we can investigate these situations to narrow down the cause.

I would suggest you to boot into BIOS and check the temperature from there. Rebooting so frequent would just shorten the HDD life fast. Faulty PSU wont reboot your comp just like that, it will just auto shutdown. Still better be safe than never, if you have an extra PSU, plug it in for a test run.Another possibility came into my mind, the thermal paste between your processor and HSF has reached its life span and require a clean off and reapplication.

Got a major PC problem here. My Compaq Presario which runs on XP SP2 has started to reboot on it's own free will. I have tried to reinstall windows recovery which on this PC you can get from the D drive. And it is still doing it. Also once it does go back into windows it tells me it has recovered from a serious error. I have updated all drivers and have it back in full SP mode.

Do you get a blue screen before the reboot? If you do, then it might be a malfunctioning device or driver. Check if the issue occurs when you do not have any of the peripheral devices connected. Also make sure you hard drive connections aren't loose or damaged.

BTW, do any of the device drivers you've installed give you a dialog box with a "Continue Anyway" button? It could indicate a driver that wasn't specifically written for Windows XP.