xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hansley

Best Software For Creating Cs Map Any ideas...please...

I am going to create a map for Counter Strike, however, I kind'a get confused with which software to use to create the map. I need you guys to give me several ideas of the software and its advantages-disadvantages.Besides, I got so much time to waste, I'm on holiday right now :D ...Looking forward to reading your replies.Thank you.

You'll need a basic editor. This is the program you use to create your basic map. Lay out walls, boxes, solids, etc., choose their textures, and place entities like player starts, lights, sounds, etc.

WorldCraft
WorldCraft is the best all-around editor for Half-Life based games (like Counter-Strike) for one main reason: it is written and maintained by Valve, the company who wrote Half-Life. Valve intends WorldCraft to be the editor for TF2 when it is released. This support by Valve is very important, as you will see below what happens to editors that have no support.

Quark
Quark is an odd favorite of some. In fact, those that use it are pretty rabid in their support! It's actively maintained (which is good), and has many powerful features. It is a bit different in it's editing concepts than WorldCraft, so the learning curve can be a bit steep.

Tread
The Tread editor was developed by a couple of independent programmers, and then was abandoned, but then picked back up. It's got some really great features, but I'm not sure if it will survive. It's got a special config file format (not the WorldCraft FGD format), and I am not sure if there is one for Counter-Strike at this time. Tread is good. I paid them money for it. I wish some big game company would "buy" it and make it theres, and thus keep it going.

Hope that helped~