xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
x CriiTiiCaL HiiT x

Friend Transferred To A Diff Team

Okay, so we have intramural soccer at my school, right? There are four teams.ChelseaA.C. MilanArsenal (my team)JuventisMe and my friend were defence on arsenal until my science teacher decided that our defence was 'too good' and so he decided to put him on Juventis, the team that we were currently facing (we were facing them at the time that he got transferred, so he got switched over in the middle of a game). Me and my team were extremely pissed off.I thought that it was primarily the other teams fault=they sucked bad.But you know what's possibly the stupidest thing? The other team was stacked.. and our team actually pretty much sucked. But our offense was 'so good' (or their defence was SO crappy) that 90% of the game the ball stayed on their field.. 11 people are on at a time and we had around 4-5 people up on their side of the field.. and they had their entire team practically on defense. They sucked so badly that they could not even get it to our side of the field.So our science teacher assumes that OUR team is 'good' and transfers my friend. What are your opinions on this?

I think your teacher may have been thinking of evening the odds. Whether your team was good or the other teams sucked, it still remains that, in a game of soccer, your team has a much higher probability of winning. In an academic institution, they do teach a lot of things in the books but it is also their responsibility to equip you with the social skills required to make it outside the walls of your campus. These social skills include adapting to change and learning to get along.There was once a man who thought, "My fellowmen are so good, we should tamper with evolution, that is, we should have more of our race and less of the other, weaker, impure races." Well, your history teacher would probably disagree on the accuracy of that and the pundits here would have a field day quoting history books and wikipedia but, the point still remains, that it was one of Hitler's ambitions to have a completely homogenous society.Reality, however, is not as forgiving. We live in a world where differences, especially genetic ones, cannot be resolved. There will always be people who may not seem fit for it but are actually good at soccer. There are also those who excel in mathematics or computers. I think what your teacher was aiming at, perhaps intentionally or subconsciously, was not the evolution or the development of the "ultimate" team but for you, as students and also as individuals, to learn how to impart your knowledge and skills to others, and also learn something from them.Let's say persons A and B both have 90% potential while persons C and D both have only 50%. If A, B, C and D were to tackle a problem the way your team does it, A and B would be the ones doing work while C and D would have to stay on the sidelines. Now, suppose you group A with C and partner B to D, I really don't think A and B's potential will drop now, do you? However, notice that, by teaching their partners, A and B would actually be raising C and D's potentials, giving them the skills required to take on the problem.You might argue that it's soccer but, you'll have to admit, you don't get much "training" or, simply put, your skills don't grow much when you face off against weaker opponents, right? By transferring your friend, your teacher has evened the odds by diminishing the strength of your team and transferring an asset to the other team. It does not say much about your skill if you always have "good" players on your side. However, it would be a testament to your capacity for teamwork if you are still able to win, despite the adversity.By putting your friend in the other team, the other team would have been a little bit better, giving you guys more of a challenge, thereby jump-starting once more your growth as players but also as individuals. Don't be content in prevailing over the weaker team, that's the way of cowardly bullies. Instead, look forward to the challenges of opponents that also grow stronger. This, methinks, is the way of the courageous warrior, athlete or RPG gamer :P