xisto Community
rvalkass

Web Design "process" Not sure how to really phrase that...

I'm a student and to pay my fees I've decided to start doing paid web design. However, I'm not quite sure what is expected by clients when it comes to the actual process, from start to finish, of getting their site online. I have found very little information online about the steps professional web designers go through when creating websites.

At the moment, I have the following as what I do when I design a website:

Research the company/person - get a feel for the 'personality' (formal, modern, etc.)

Get needs from the client

Draw up a specification for the site

Preliminary sketches (still by hand B) )

Take the best ideas and mock them up in the GIMP

Present them to the client, get their feedback

Pick one design, along with changes, and improve the mockup

Compare to specification

Fix problems, make improvements

Code backend to the design (HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, whatever is required)

Add copy and images

Launch site

What do other people do when designing sites for other people? Especially if you do it professionally. I've based this on my knowledge from designing graphics, electronic products, problem solving and a little bit from my Physics textbooks B)

If you were having a site designed for you, what would you expect from the designer, right from the moment you get in touch to the moment you part company? Are little incremental updates on progress good, or would you prefer milestones?

Literally, any feedback or advice is greatly received :P Thank you all.

I have done some work on web design. Especially coding psd files to xhtml/css. I had several difficulties during my work. The hardest part is to create cross browser web design. I remember once converting a file very sucessfully and it appeared to work great on 3 main browsers, but not at different Os. So on mac Os browsers the pages seem to have problems. I admit not to be a proffesional. But if you want to do the job you need to work hard and concentrate. You can't do anything else.

Since studies are involved, it should be safe to assume freelance or (very) temporary positions. Since you mention server-side scripting, that's more of a web developer position, like with Ruby on Rails, JSP, ASP, et cetera (which the client may ask for by the way). Since i don't think you know every possible language used in web development, that means the amount of clients you'd reach out to is lowered. Also, you mention the GIMP, so does that imply that you'll be working under Linux (mostly)? If so, then Flash is out of the question? If so, then that lowers again the number of clients you could attract. However, you could probably convince them that you can do just about the same things with SVG and JavaScript that one would see in Flash websites, so you'll need to be quite competent in JS and whatever else you plan on showing off.

If you're lucky, the client would want something small or have you work with a well-known CMS instead (which you'll of course need some foreknowledge in). If they have a template already made that they want you to convert to HTML and that template is in a PSD file and you don't have PhotoShop, then there's a lost client. But concerning style and "personality," things become slightly complicated when the client describes things a bit general or ambiguous. Like, for example, the terms you picked: "formal," "modern." What does the client have in mind with these terms? You may find yourself making a lot of modifications to one template, perhaps even starting over entirely, just to get that "modern" look and feel to it. So be sure you fully understand what they mean. Simply looking up websites which you find to be "modern" may not cut it.

Since studies are involved, it should be safe to assume freelance or (very) temporary positions.

Freelance is mainly what I'm aiming at for the time being, although I have a three month summer holiday I can work through in a more permanent position if I want to.

Since you mention server-side scripting, that's more of a web developer position, like with Ruby on Rails, JSP, ASP, et cetera (which the client may ask for by the way). Since i don't think you know every possible language used in web development, that means the amount of clients you'd reach out to is lowered.

This is something I have been thinking about. I'm starting to learn bits of RoR, but I have not got anywhere near enough knowledge to offer it as a service.

Also, you mention the GIMP, so does that imply that you'll be working under Linux (mostly)? If so, then Flash is out of the question? If so, then that lowers again the number of clients you could attract. However, you could probably convince them that you can do just about the same things with SVG and JavaScript that one would see in Flash websites, so you'll need to be quite competent in JS and whatever else you plan on showing off.

GIMP does have a Windows version, but yes, I'm working under Linux almost exclusively. This does rule Flash out, but a lot of the smaller elements of sites Flash is used for can be replicated with JS (a lot can be done with jQuery or script.aculo.us, etc.). I wouldn't be able to do sites entirely made in Flash, but that is something I can't really do a lot about until Adobe start making Linux versions of their software.

But concerning style and "personality," things become slightly complicated when the client describes things a bit general or ambiguous. Like, for example, the terms you picked: "formal," "modern." What does the client have in mind with these terms? You may find yourself making a lot of modifications to one template, perhaps even starting over entirely, just to get that "modern" look and feel to it. So be sure you fully understand what they mean. Simply looking up websites which you find to be "modern" may not cut it.

When I have had people use these definitions before, as most do, I try my best to get more precise requirements from them. This is also why I do really quick sketches and get those approved before I move on - a pencil and paper sketch takes a couple of minutes and can be infinitely useful in determining requirements.

I dont know if you mean to cover story boarding with the preliminary sketches point but if not then you should definitely consider this. Story boarding even though I personally have not used them lately are a good way to clarify with your clients the process from start to finish. Your list above does cover almost all the processes that would be involved in web design but you may or may not need to use them all. Some projects may require more planning while others may not need them all. It depends on how formal you want to be with your client. Some client's wont even know what the process is so you will most likely end up having to lead, plan all processes. If you are building server side scripting and its very complex i.e more then just a hit counter then more planning is required. This is were software development experience is handy and will likely impact on whether the project is a success or failure. What helps a lot here is analysis and planning. If you don't plan well and you work on something then realise you got it wrong then you have just wasted that time building something that the client did not want.I think another thing your missing if your doing both web design and web development is a project proposal. When the client approaches you about a new website they require you gather up all the details and present it back to them as your proposal. You include what you intend to deliver to them for the project. This includes all designs and functionality, expected due dates for deliverable, what you require from the client, i.e meetings. Any hosting if required. There is a whole of of things you can include I'm just unable to think clearly about them right now but if you look up project proposals and what they include you may or may not find things that will help you. Also be clear about change request from the client. let them know in advance the impact it will have on cost and schedule. Once the client has reviewed the proposal they have to make the choice to go on. You have documented everything so later on when the client says no this is not what i wanted you can go to your documents and say yes you did here.. lol. I think you get the idea. I think what I listed above is still incomplete and there may be more useful methods, documents for helping the process. You still have to use your own discretion and decide if producing those documents and that planning is worth it. In a small project you wouldn't spend so much time right? if a site took one day to make then there is no point spending two days planning and documenting. Now if a site took more then 3 weeks then obviously planning is required. Good Luck.

You got 70% of it right. I am commenting your list through my 5 years of web designing freelance.

Draw up a specification for the site - You dont draw totally, your write and sketch what you have in mind, this is usually called a Proposal, presenting your ideas and persuade the client

Preliminary sketches (still by hand tongue.gif ) - Best method, storyboard. You dont only do initial sketches of the front page and assume that the client know how will other pages looks like.

Take the best ideas and mock them up in the GIMP - Not only the best ideas. Client always like MORE options! B) Throw in some of your ideas along with the selected ones.

Code backend to the design (HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, whatever is required) - refer the next point below

Add copy and images - Time management, buddy. Layout your HTML source, your tables, div or whatever needed. Setup MYSQL database first, lay the foundation solid. When you know you are about to finish the coding, start putting dummy text first (http://www.lipsum.com/) and images. While you are about to finish the site with all the required elements, start to do offline test on the site, make sure the database works fine..etc etc.. so you can make changes on the way.

Test the site and show to client! This is vital as they always love to see progress. Talk with them on any changes. Dont keep it till to the very end. Make sure make sure that you do cross browser compatibility check before finalizing the work! Huge mistake to new freelancers "NEVER INSIST client to USE FIREFOX ONLY" Open up all possible browser and amaze them :P

Payment : First off, Upfront. 25% of the amount you discussed. That is the assurance fee between you and the client. If the client reject / halt the project, that amount is non refundable. Make sure you have an agreement letter, quotation and invoice. Paper proof works very well here, so dont miss out those.

Delivery : Do not , i repeat, DO NOT deliver the finished work before you get the rest of the payment. Have control on the web hosting account and all possible resource before client cash in the balance amount. This is the point where most horrible clients run off.

Negotiation : Dont please the client. Do the standard way. Even if your client is a friend or relative, dont go according to relationship, go according to what you are there for, tradeskilling. Charge reasonably for your hardwork. Nothing is free for commercial clients. If your client is an NGO, check the history, background before slapping the FREE / waive service.

This is my advice so far. Hope it helps B)

A question that popped into my head: Do you have any previous work to show the client to assure them that you are capable of doing the job? One part of obtaining a job is how you sell yourself. You wouldn't want your clients thinking of you as incompetent.

I miss this out. If this is your very first time, make dummy sites, functional ones and host up. If questions start flooding in, this is the best sentence i can think off : This is my first opportunity in doing this, as shown is the dummy sites i made during my studying years which you may find it usable in considering me in completing your mentioned project / work.

p/s : Always stay low, suggest what you think you can do best, dont blast off boastfully. First impression is where a client judge for the rest of their assurance on you.

I think what you have currently is good, but you may want to ask the client what they want the site to look like. If I were looking for people to make a design for my site, I would usually have a site or two that I would want my web design to look like. Some people may see a cool website design and think that it looks great, but if the color was changed a little and some of the design aspects were changed a little, it would suit their needs.

A question that popped into my head: Do you have any previous work to show the client to assure them that you are capable of doing the job? One part of obtaining a job is how you sell yourself. You wouldn't want your clients thinking of you as incompetent.