xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tombomb318

Google Voice Googles Voip service

https://www.google.com%2Fvoice&followup=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fvoice&ltmpl=open

"Google Voice is a service that gives you one number for all your phones, voicemail that is easy as email, and many enhanced calling features like call blocking and screening, voicemail transcripts, call conferencing, international calls, and more"

So basically Google voice will be like skype but do a lot more and also incorporate all the Google stuff that we love.

Google is giving invites to grand central users to hand out, google bought out grand central awhile ago. I am not a grandcentral user so I dont have any invites, but I would love one if any of you have them :P.

Invite request for google voice Go here to request an invite to google voice.

What's this about. Should we be able to use it as free calling service or what? What is Grand Central and what are the user of it? Can you give more simplified information, because I read about it in the google voice website..but did not understand much of it..

OK so what will happen when you are able to sign up is you pick your area code, then they will give you a phone number for your account. Google voice is not actually a voip but what it dose is you ether call there servers or there servers can one of your phones (cellphone desk phones, work phone or voip line). There is nothing to download to do this but from what I it would only be a small jump for them to make Google talk interglacial with it as its own skype like voip client. You can set what phone to ring based on who's calling. So say that you give this number to all your clients and your patents and your palls. You could make a group of people in your contacts for your family, and when they called it would ring all your phones. Then you could set one up for clients and make it so that will only call your cellphone and your desk phone, but not your home phone or your voip phone. You can use there Listen in function to listen in on people recording voice mail then if you do want to talk to them you can answer the call. Google voice can screen any one that is not in your contacts list, this will when people call, ask people to say there name. Then when you answer the phone you will here call from "Tom". You call block any phone number that you want. When that person calls your number they will get the "Not in Service" message. You can receive sms messages on 1 or more of your mobile phones. You can also send them right from the web to any phone you want or reply to any voice mail. You place calls that will display your Google number by clicking on some ones address in your address book, clicking reply on a voice mail or typing it in the call box. You can also call your own Google number from one of your linked phone and press 2 then dial the number. You can switch phones in mid call by pressing * and answering your other phone and hangup the other one. when you get a voice mail you can get it transcribed in to text. You can then get the transcriptions sent to your email or sms'ed to your phones. You can set custom ring back tones based on who is calling. So for your mom you can have some really old music. For your friends some hard core rock. and for your clients the normal ring ring sound. You can record any and all of your phone calls.So yeah I cant wait for it to come out for the public. Also if any one wants to give me a invite code, that would be AWESOME!

Wow, with me going into the military pretty soon i think that something like this will come in handy big time!!lol, google really is on the rise and working on taking over the entire internet, what will they come up with next?

I hope that Google takes over the internet they have a good stand on net neutrality witch I love. Actually I would love to see Google over throw the us government and have them run it. Then after a couple of years they would just take over the world. Think of it a world free of spam and full of open source. *drifts off in to heaven*

As someone who has experience with Google Voice, I must say that I'm disappointed with what feels like backwards progression since the rebranding from Grand Central. I think the service has less functionality and fewer features now than it did before the rebranding as "Google Voice." Call quality has deteriorated for me, especially on outgoing. Google Voice may not be true SIP and there are significant technical issues right now. The most notable being spotty DTMF performance, which is critical as Google Voice is requiring members to confirm their phone numbers via an call back system with automated PIN input. Far too many people are finding their phones' touch tones aren't being recognized so PIN numbers cannot be entered. (If you can't verify your phone number, your account is locked. So there are lots of complaints in the Google Voice help forums but Google remains mum.) I have a gut feeling that Google will be scaling back the "free" elements of Google Voice. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a public launch delayed if they're in negotiations to make Google Voice available as added functionality for existing VOIP and cellular providers. Altough Google Voice hasn't been dumped as one of the non-money makers yet, I don't think it's out of the woods by any means. If the economy remains flat or continues to shed jobs through the next couple of quarters, I'm not sure whether Google Voice will survive.

Edited by sipvoiper (see edit history)

Well i just got my invite code and i must say I love google voice! Most probably don't know but I'm from Maine (most people don't know Maine is in the US either), and Maine is not so high on the tech scale. Like most of my clients are still using windows 98 and dial up. When I was planing on getting skype in for a business line, but there is no phone numbers for Maine, NOT A SINGLE ONE. now even if it was a number way down in Portland it would not be that bad since Maine has only 1 area code 207. There is 212 phone numbers still available for Maine! So it was not like i only had the choice of like 10 - 12 numbers! When you are picking your number you can type in an area code then a word and it will see if there is any one numbers with your word in it. Like my phone number has the word Tom in it. As far as the touch tones not being recognized during the PINs I have done 6 phones so far and they have all worked. I tested the voice mail stuff and they all word too. The transcription was right on, and listen in worded flawlessly other then my mom was not expecting me to start talking during what she thought was a cellphone voice mail.It dose seem like the ring back thing is missing, im still looking for it, will keep you updated.

Edited by Tombomb318 (see edit history)

what are you trying to say...most people are uneducated? haha maine isn't THAT far off the map. i woulda thought most people wouldn't consider alaska or hawaii a state....but um....good to know that little fact about maine since you live there :(

(most people don't know Maine is in the US either)