xisto Community
networker

Bank Problems bill confusion

Until five years ago I had an account with Rogers internet which I always paid at my bank branch.Anyway, five years ago I closed my Rogers internet account. About eight months ago, I began using Rogers internet againand paid the bill at my same bank branch.For monthseverything was okay. Anyway, heres what happened. I paid my last Rogers internet bill and discovered that the bill was paid towards my old dormant Rogers internet account rather than my new one.That old Rogers internet account has been closed for 5 years!I'd rather not deal with Rogers about this because there was a lotof problems with them then.I'd rather just let sleeping dogs lie.Why not just let the bank sort it out?They started the problem. The mistake was clearly the banks.They paved the way for such mistakes by having shoddy customer service in the first place, as wellas being badly disorganized. The bank tells me I might have to wait 10 working days to get my money back.I couldn't get that in writing.I repaid the bill to Rogers. Somehow I don't have much faithin seeing my lost money again.

That doesn't make sense. If you have kepted your receipts and all then there should be no reason why you cannot get your money back. Paying into the wrong account is a common mistake and they will deal with it. I'm sure all banks have procedures for handling this common mistake. Good luck with getting your money back and don't give up just yet. Money is money and you shouldn't waste it.

If you instructed your bank to pay the money to the new account and gave them whatever information they needed (new account number for your ISP or whatever they need to link the payment to your new account) then the fault lies with your bank. As soon as you alert them to it they should immediately refund the money, and I would expect interest on that and also some form of compensation per transaction they got wrong. If they won't do that, demand to speak to the manager of the branch immediately and ask what they're doing. If they won't resolve it to your satisfaction then switch banks - simple as that. Most banks now, when you sign up, offer a free service to switch over any direct debits/standing orders/money transfers/whatever so there is no hassle.If, however, you have receipts from the bank confirming the money was paid into your new account with your ISP, then you could take it up with your ISP. You have proof of payment to them, to the right account, and it is then up to them to chase the money down with the bank, rather than up to you.