xisto Community
karl77

Windows 7 Available

Hello,

Yesterday, Micrsosoft announced that Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) is available for immediate download to TechNet and MSDN subscribers. It is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions in English, French, Japanese, German, and Spanish. General availability will occur on May 5, 2009, and can be downloaded at this link:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows

WHAT!? Faster, better, and more reliable? Are you joking? Windows Vista editions have always been unstable for many programs, esspesually for games. What makes us think THIS version of Windows is and/or will be better, despite their little video introduction...? They only say it's better and it's "awesome" because it is their job to make people interested in Microsoft products and services, but really once you try it for yourself they are pathetic and never work the way you'd expect them to work! :PLike with the Xbox 360. We was so exited, am I right? We thought playing games on the 360 would be a blast in the park...but what happened to most game CDs? The 360 console scratched them and Microsoft got sued for it. Well, I'm sticking to my XP Professional edition of Windows I can promise you that right now. All I loved about Vista was it's theme! :/

The theme part will always be great but the indexing and the amount of RAM and HDD space required is just a botheration for anyone using Windows 7.I had a hands on the beta release and can say the it may be faster if you disable quite a few of its background services which are a real nuisance.There may be other issues as well but you never know what the issue is until you are a victim of the crash Microsoft is going to give you.

Neverthless, there are some improvements in this release. It's more secure but seems to need a lot of disk space (because system files are duplicated).One of the biggest improvements: support for the sensitive screens.

Hey but the windows 7 has many bugs to fix.I will probably wait toll most of the bugs are fixed but then also i will try it once.Thank you very much

i have to try it, if its better than vista i may have to start using it soon

i've been using the RC that was released publicly for almost a month now. i had been waiting for my replacement laptop from dell to come in before i installed. the first thing that really catches your eye at first is the desktop. a TOTAL difference from XP/Vista. (some may say the change in Vista from XP is drastic but it wasnt that much different in terms of use IMHO)the new taskbar takes a little bit of getting used to since it functions differently. however, after using it for a while i really like it and it keeps things orderly and neat. the taskbar will group things by the app so you dont have a bunch of things clogging ur taskbar. to see which things are open under a certain app u can hover over them using the Aero Peek feature. in addition the new taskbar kind of acts as your quicklaunch area since you can pin apps to the bar. very useful for those apps that you use all the time and want quick and easy access to them. the one thing i would change (if not implemented somewhere in it already) is that you should have to click once on the preview to see what it is, then double click to make it the active window. at the moment the hovering automatically brings a full preview up front and feels rather jerky and annoying.as for the apps, most all programs that i have installed so far work flawlessly. while others dont seem to want to cooperate at the moment. the main one is the Antivirus suite that i've used for a number of years called Comodo. free product and its worked awesome for me in the past. at the moment there are some issues but i'm sure they will get worked out by the time October 22nd rolls around.if anyone has any questions in regards to other things with Windows 7 i'll do my best to answer them

OK, so some people like Vista and Windows 7 (AKA Vista Ultimate Beta), I am surprised you've not even encountered any major issue's with them. Microsoft are pathetic in my opinion, though everyone else has their own opinions. So I'll just stick to mine.

OK, so some people like Vista and Windows 7 (AKA Vista Ultimate Beta), I am surprised you've not even encountered any major issue's with them. Microsoft are pathetic in my opinion, though everyone else has their own opinions. So I'll just stick to mine.

i haven't found anything major issues with the RC of windows 7. some programs dont work properly, but thats the extent of it. and in most cases, theres an alternative program to achieve that need until a fix is done for the one i wish to use. its not a big deal to me as long as i have a functioning, reliable system.

the biggest gripe i have is one that most 64 bit users have, not enough of our apps have a 64 bit version of them. while not all people have a 64 bit processor so it wouldnt matter, i do and having a program thats designed to take advantage of the available resources is a nice thing to have. as the years go on im sure more developers will make a 64 bit version of their program for users with a 64 bit processor.

obviously some people have a bad taste in their mouths with microsoft just like i do with apple (i really cant stand them whatsoever). but you're all entitled to those feelings. i havent had any major issues that i havent been able to get around in some way or another. in fact the biggest issues ive had with my comps have been my hardware, which is a totally different story.

if windows doesnt have something i need, i just go into my other OS :( Ubuntu FTW. if only WINE was more reliable it would be the only OS i use.

Hi!I've had many co-workers who switched to Windows 7 RC as their primary OS. Since we've got MS Exchange as our mail server and the infrastructure guys don't support any other email client, we're pretty much forced into using Windows to run MS Outlook. Sure, there's Evolution's OWA integration but it doesn't work with Exchange 2007 (they upgraded a couple of months ago from the old version).I particularly remember the time when I use Vista for the first time. One fine day, it just wouldn't start so after trying to transplant my hard disk to another desktop (turns out none of the others guys in the IT department had a SATA controller) I decided to just install Fedora Core Linux, overwriting the Windows partition and I used Remote Desktop to work directly on a Windows 2003 server.I wouldn't give up on Windows XP just yet. Perhaps when I get a PC with 8GB RAM, I'll consider Windows 7 64-bit edition but until then I'm pretty satisfied running Windows XP 32-bit with 3GB RAM.Regards,Nitin Reddy

Hi!

I've had many co-workers who switched to Windows 7 RC as their primary OS. Since we've got MS Exchange as our mail server and the infrastructure guys don't support any other email client, we're pretty much forced into using Windows to run MS Outlook. Sure, there's Evolution's OWA integration but it doesn't work with Exchange 2007 (they upgraded a couple of months ago from the old version).

I particularly remember the time when I use Vista for the first time. One fine day, it just wouldn't start so after trying to transplant my hard disk to another desktop (turns out none of the others guys in the IT department had a SATA controller) I decided to just install Fedora Core Linux, overwriting the Windows partition and I used Remote Desktop to work directly on a Windows 2003 server.

I wouldn't give up on Windows XP just yet. Perhaps when I get a PC with 8GB RAM, I'll consider Windows 7 64-bit edition but until then I'm pretty satisfied running Windows XP 32-bit with 3GB RAM.

Regards,

Nitin Reddy

I don't think many will give up on XP even past its final support date which is a few years down the road I believe. Even after then i'm sure there will be plenty of people still using XP as their windows OS of choice. unless windows 7 proves to be eons better than vista was, which shouldn't be hard to do, many people just won't switch. the core people that i think will switch, are those with vista, and those who want the latest and greatest thing out there. the general consumer and many businesses will continue to use XP because they know it works.

i don't blame them either. it just goes with the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." plus people are going to be hesitant to try an OS that many are just referring to as a service pack to vista. while i understand their point of view, i feel it is totally different from vista in terms of looks and functionality. i wish that UAC was completely removed but it isn't nearly as much of a nuisance as i remember from vista (yes i know i can turn it off). if it behaved how linux works, prompting for the users password before changes are made, then itd make a little more sense.

I personally feel that Microsoft has already lost the thing that made its previous OSes successful - simplicity.

Vista was such a nightmare for most of the people that they just stuck to the next best thing - XP. But there were some things that could be done only in Vista. So naturally, they are looking forward to Win7 being a success so that they can do whatever they want with ease.

If you ask me, people should learn to switch to linux, which already has the capability to offer whatever a person wants. All, maybe except the gaming department. A dual boot with linux and win7 wouldn't be such a bad idea in this scenario.

Anyway, the RC is just okay for now. MS has already hidden the download from the main page, replacing it with a "pre-order" offer. But the download is still available if you want it so if you haven't got it yet, go now! A free OS from MS for one year! These chances are really rare! :(