xisto Community
aloKNsh

Chat Between Two Computers Through Lan. Is it possible to chat.......

hey i want to chat in school computer lab with my friends through lan.....but i dont now how to do so through lan..........our school computer is connected through lan and also its always ready....but how to exchange message is what all i want to know.....i think that this can be done through Ms-dos or something like this only....if not then how to do so,,,,,please tell methank you very much..............................

hey i want to chat in school computer lab with my friends through lan.....

but i dont now how to do so through lan..........

our school computer is connected through lan and also its always ready....

but how to exchange message is what all i want to know.....

i think that this can be done through Ms-dos or something like this only....

if not then how to do so,,,,,please tell me

thank you very much..............................

There are multiple ways you can do this... That again depends on the availability of permissions and other softwares in your school machines. I will list down all the possibilities, and you can choose from the best ones that works.

1. Using netsend dos command.

Windows offers an easy to use command line option to send messages to others systems in the LAN - These are simple Windows Popup Messages / Net Send Messages (These will work in Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003)

The biggest advantage is that there is no need to install any new software and no need to start any special programs to use this, The message notification service is always active and works perfectly. If you have not disabled the Messenger service in the services.msc window where it lists all the services that are currently running the system.

To send netsend messages, you need to open a Command Prompt Window ( START->RUN->CMD->USE ), and start using the NET SEND command.

2. Using net meeting in windows.

Net meeting is a software that comes with the Windows OS itself in many cases. If you have that you can use it right away. All you need to do is to register yourself by giving some basic details like your name etc and you are ready to go. There will be a wizard which will take you through the details that you may have to provide and finally you will be ready to use the chat option in the software. But there is a catch here. You should know the name of the system to which you have to converse... So... if you have that you can use this option.

3. Using IP Messengers.

This I think is one of the best ways. Have you heard of IP messenger? If yes, use that. If no, I have provide the link below...

https://ipmsg.org/index.html.en

You do not need to install anything, but you need permission to run this. Just copy it to the system and run it. Ask your friend also to do the same. Once you open the exe application, it will list all the users using the application in the LAN. So it will show your friends system name in your system. You can just clink that and start chatting.

Hope this helps.

Hi!

The simplest way I see you can accomplish this is by using the NET SEND command.

Follow these steps to get it running:
1. Right-click My Computer and select Manager
2. Go to Services and Applications - Services
3. Right-click on Messenger and select Start, if it isn't already running (you might have to go into the Properties and set the Startup Type to something other than Disabled - set it to Automatic)
4. Go to Command Prompt: Start - Run - Type "cmd" and press Enter
5. Type "hostname" and press Enter. This displays your computer name so write this down or remember it.
6. Go to the other computer and repeat steps 1-4
7. Type "net send " followed by the name from step 5 and then your message
Eg. "net send nitinrk hello there"

If you prefer to use a graphical interface, you could use NetMeeting. It's usually installed with Windows, but as there aren't any shortcuts, you'll have to look for it in C:\Program Files\NetMeeting and double-click conf.exe (the one with the icon of a globe with 2 converging orange arrows). After startign NetMeeting on both computers, you can find the name to type to call the other computer using Step 5 from above.

Feel free to buzz me back if you need more help.

Regards,
Nitin

hey i want to chat in school computer lab with my friends through lan.....but i dont now how to do so through lan..........
our school computer is connected through lan and also its always ready....
but how to exchange message is what all i want to know.....
i think that this can be done through Ms-dos or something like this only....
if not then how to do so,,,,,please tell me
thank you very much..............................

how to know ip of connected PCs to me ,Chat Between Two Computers Through Lan.

hi there ,

how can I know IP of a computer connected to me , in my lan or in any other lan

and how can I communicate with that IP through DOS or any graphical interface program ?

-reply by medo

MARAMING SALAMAT POChat Between Two Computers Through Lan.

TO: k_nitin_r-thank you! your suggestion is pretty cool...-I've connected my two computers easily and can chat to it- thank you once again...

-reply by JUAN PABLO

LAN DVD WRITINGChat Between Two Computers Through Lan.

Hi I am Praveen Hegde want to know whether is it possible to have a only one dvd writer and we can burn files from other system connected by the lan?. If so please inform me how to do that without having internet connection ,only office LAN that I have.

-reply by Praveen Hegde

I remember someone being able to do this when I was working for a tech company. Someone created an HTML file with some JavaScript in it. I'm familiar with JavaScript but he made it in such a way that he created a small chatroom with a log-in to boot! The login information, however, isn't as secure as you can view the passwords by just looking at the source code of the HTML file. I looked at the code but I can't make out any of it. I do understand the HTML behind it. He used Frames and Tables to make the chatroom and the page automatically refreshes after 2 or 3 seconds. After that, he saved the file in the company's NAS (Network Attached Storage). If you want to join the chatroom, just open the file and login to it. It was a simple idea and the file size is barely 200Kb. By the way, the company has restricted non-work-related activities (from accessing social networks to installing instant messengers).

Net messaging for some reason doesn't work in Windows 7. :P When I had XP, I always kept sending my father messages saying his PC would shut down in x seconds, then have him come up stairs and ask me about the error. :P Net Messaging used to be fun, but then Microsoft took that feature out of Windows 7 for some reason. ;)

Yes, You can talk between two PCs on lan, The required thing in both PC's is that both the computer having a pc to pc calling software, you can do so by using VoIP technology where your IP address acts as your phone number.

First your computer lan and your friends computer should need to be connected to a same service IP and if they are and you server gives you the option to chat use any software there many of them then you can chat Trough Lan.

Now many PCs are based on windows seven so now some old ways are not working and you need to use third parties (you can enable those old commands but with many new and tiny softwares why we need to do that). TinyTalk is a small program that is built to help you in these situations, it is very easy to connect two of them to each other you just need to enter ip of the destination and a port (only some works) which is open in destination PC and after that you can connect to your friends PC and talk with him. the only disadvantage of this software is that it do not let you to text message with your friend which in some cases is very handy but the most advantage of this software is that it connects to the client very easily even with a lot of firewalls on the way. the quality of the voice connection is good and even it is capable of detecting silence, in some offices i know that peoples are using from this software to talk with each other and by this they have reduced the need of IP phone which is capable of making internal calls without any fee.Now for video conference i will suggest a software that many of you are having it installed in your PC , it is "VLC" which you use for playing your video files but you should know that this freeware is capable of making video conferences over local network. the process is not very hard you need to open capture device and by default it will open your webcam and the with streaming option you will be able to stream it over your local network and in the destination your friend will be able to see you (i haven't tested the voice so i don't know if it carries the voice too or not but i think it will carry the voice too because in capturing section it will get something for audio input) and this is great because many of your friends have installed VLC on their PCs. the video quality is great but for streaming over the net it will need a huge bandwidth but in local network you will not face any problem, so by use of this software you will get a huge advantage and it is no need for new software just use your media player for communicating with your friend.Now all of the softwares i said are not capable of giving you text messaging option so what should we do ? i didn't find any good alternative for netsend which is built in the PC or a software which is installed on the most PC so we need to use a third party software again. as netsend is not available in windows seven so we can't use famous QuickMessenger because it uses netsend command. of course you can find many LAN Messengers but they are not free and no one wants to pay for a text messaging between two computers, somedays ago i was searching and i found that we have an alternative for netsend and it is MSG command, just type MSG /? in your cmd and you will see a full help about how to use that, this is really great to have a good alternative for text messaging between two computers. i haven't tested it between XP and 7 but between two windows seven it is working perfectly. it was really amazing that my friends were not aware about this command and it is really helpful, by the way i haven't found any software like Quick Messenger which uses this new command to give us a better GUI for chatting over the LAN but i think there should be at least one application which works with MSG command.

Hi nitinNET SEND really worked :).......but i want to use net meeting....i've already installed it........still not able to chat.....please tell me if i've to do some configuration setting or anything else.....thanksSadhana