xisto Community
novic_1223

First Software Who made it? How did they make it?

I understand that softwares today are made by softwares. it is pretty simple to understand this but who exactly made the very first software and how did this person make it? How did he make the "computer" understand what it was doing?

Software is made by software?! What the...?Software is made by people, they code in a particular programming language and then compile it, there's no program that "codes" another program by itself, there's always a human behind.And as far as I know, the first computers used Basic, the programming language. And you had to program it yourself, after 30 minutes of work, you would've programmed it to print "hello" in the screen. No software is making software... there's always the people who code it by hand. If you ment code editor as the "software that makes another software", then it's just the man who entered text into the computer, which had a gigantic amount of 22 bits memory :P So yea, you nowadays, you need a code editor, compiler and some coding skills.

No software is making software...

I believe he was referring to compilers. On any note, his question is almost impossible to answer. The only way i can see it being answered is if you track down the first computer ever built and who build it. In which case the topic starter may find out that the first program ever created was probably something that was made to work with punch cards, where a computer was the size of a refrigerator or bigger.

Heinz Zemanek has put it this way: "Software started with the translation of algebraic formulas into machine code." Thus, the Plankalkul of Konrad Zuse in 1945, the Formelubersetzung of Heinz Rutishauser and of Corrado Bohm in 1951, the Algebraic interpreter of Alick E. Glennie in 1953, the Programming Program of E. Z. Ljubimskii and Sergej Sergeevich Kamynin in 1954 and of Andrei Ershov in 1955 stood at the beginning of software, soon followed by Remington-Rand's Math-Matic (1955) and IBM's Fortran (1956). All these advances were made before the word 'software' came into wider use in 1960, 1961 or 1962. There are over 8,000 programming languages to date and really speaking each one was either designed to solve a particular, handle a particular task in a particular way, maybe created by an individual for one or more of these reasons or by by a committee in which case it was a compromise of many differing opinions.In recent times, it would appear that things are actually going backwards in terms of programming as everything now needs to be complicated and long winded not to mention trying to be all things to all people all of the time. In business for example, it was common place for an engineer to write a program to solve a particular work based task in minutes as opposed to spending days doing it by hand - therefore you didn't buy an off the shelf package which may or may not do the job for you to some degree. I can remeber writing short programs in basic to calculate and graph capicitor discharge cycles for instance, a very simple but effective solution to an otherwise laborious and time consuming task. Another was for calculating and graphing the very complex math for engineering fan design.The first electronic computers were built during world war two at bletchly park in the UK to crack the German Enigma code, one of which has just been re-built as the main attraction at the museum there.Hope this helps in some way..... :P

Likely the first "software" could be considered to be the complier that translated Assembler into machine code.Before Assembler and such, the machines needed to be coded by running wires from connection to connection. The computers took up rooms the size of small High School gymnasiums, had their own heating and cooling systems, a protected electrical system and 24 hour guards. Their power was awesome (at the time), but could not run a wrist watch today. So, my vote would be that the first real software was the stuff that allowed code to be written in 'symbolic machine language' like Assembler. And, as noted, there were more than one of them. I am calling it Assembler, but a compiler that transfered data from a (somewhat) human-readable form to the machine Binary code would be what I am referring to.