xisto Community
tinoymalayil

Software Converts Voice To Text ......

Hello,please help me to find software which converts Voice to text.If you know a good software which effectively convert,please suggest me.

This is called voice recognition software. Windows Vista includes a very good implementation built in for free. Use this guide to learn how to use it.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
If you are running Mac OSX this guide
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
And if you are using Linux their is no open source or free implementation :P
Edited by random truth (see edit history)

There are services available, which come at a price.https://gotranscript.com/ is one that I have used for my seminars and webinars. It can be used to convert speech, audio, voice, etc. to texts.Turnaround speed is fast and the process to upload files is very simple. It's highly accurate and the cheapest around I guess. I think you should give it a try. Hope this helps. ;)

The speech recognition software included with Windows 7 and Windows Vista is pretty much available to you at no cost since you bought Windows (either along with your computer as pre-installed software, or as an off-the-shelf add on, or perhaps even through an MSDN subscription or one of the free software give-away plans that Microsoft has). However, I have not been able to get it to work right. I ran the speech recognition software trainer and it still does not recognize most of what I say for the most part. It gets a word or two right, but that is what the old voice recognition software could do too, so I am rather unimpressed at how it works.
There's another software named Dragon SimplySpeaking that I tried in the past and I did not have much luck with it either, but it did seem to have an all-voice interface to correct it and it could learn from its errors. I have not really had a chance to use one of the newer versions but unless I get to use something that works with a good deal of accuracy, I'm not placing any bets on speech-to-text software. The other way round, that is text-to-speech, typically sounds very monotonic and robotic and unnatural to hear. It's also quite distracting and sometimes annoying, especially when it is used to provide the narration for something like a Powerpoint presentation or a storyline.
For now, I guess I'll just have to do things the old fashioned way.

LOLOLOL, I didn't think I would live long enough to hear that typing instead of talking to a computer was old fashion!

I had Via Voice program in one of my earlier computers, I messed with it some, but I felt stupid taking to a machine, and usually I worked on it late at night and my talking would of disturbed the old man's much needed sleeping, so I really didn't fool with it all that much.

There are many softwares to do this , if you look around you find many of them which most cost you a lot and will they work ? you just have to test their demo version before buying to see if they suite your needs.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium seems to be one of the best in this category but it costs a lot ! it costs 200$ which is a lot for this type of software , there is also another version which is home version and costs less than half of this but i haven't tested it. I have tested this software and results are acceptable, you can be nearly sure that if you don't pronounce a word a lot different than normal pronunciation then it will detect it completely right, i actually amazed when i tested this software and compared it to default one comes on windows 7 and it was a lot better. as k_nitin_r said it can learn your pronunciation too and after that it can guess the words a lot more better, by the way the price is a big problem for this software. top ten reviews website has scored this software 93% for its recognition which is good but it mean from every 100 words you say you have to correct 7 by your self in average.

The one that comes with windows it self is just a toy , it never can be used as a real speech to text or at least i wasn't able to use it because its accuracy was around 40% for what i was saying. the training procedure is very important in these softwares, a good software have to learn you voice and pronunciation during time , with every single word that you correct it need to correct its detection of your voice. so even if you use the best softwares you always have to correct some words, i have seen some bloggers around internet that are trying these software to write their articles on their blogs with more speed but there is not a global success in this matter.

I still prefer to type because my typing is even nearly as fast as my speaking but still there are some advantages for speaking which one of them is that you don't have to sit on the chair and type, you can even do it when you are lying in your bed without needing to sit an put laptop on your bed. another advantage is spell check ! of course all of softwares will do it automatically because they choose the words from their database but when you type you make put a wrong key and then if you don't look at your writings it will be hard and time consuming to correct them later. still i'm writing these posts by typing them but maybe in future i went for other ways of posting these things :)

I have also used this service above mentioned by Edgar for some of my interview processes. I think you should also try it.

I have tried those programs the way you talk to the computer I have give up on it because

(a) either it did not understand me (I am from Northern Ireland and It is said we talk fast but I was talking slow for it to get me)

(B) the program would either not open the program I wanted opened or would open the wrong one.

not worth the purpose of the software maybe for people from the USA since they seem to talk very loud ''open the Start Menu Y'all !!!!!!!!!!!!!'' well I heard they do often do or maybe its just a stereotype sorry if that sounded a bit stereotype or rude to any American's. don't know what the purpose of the software being installed here since the program can not understand me most of the time might as well be speaking German, French or Dutch for all its worth btw I have got nothing against Germans, French, Dutch or Americans before someone pull me. lol.

Good day to all.Just want to share this ........Using online speech to text services you can convert audio files to text document easily and its more reliable than downloaded software.Dragon is the most commonly used but can't be taken for professional purposes since you still have to train it.You may also try a service like https://gotranscript.com/ or you can hire in elance, freelance, odesk, etc.But one thing is for sure. As of the present technology in transcription, still nothing is free, unless you still do the work.Hope this adds up FYI.

Good day to all of you guys.

Just want to share my opinion.

Using online speech to text services you can convert audio files to text document easily and its more reliable than downloaded software.

Dragon is the most commonly used but can't be taken for professional purposes since you still have to train it.

You may also try a service like http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ or you can hire in elance, freelance, odesk, etc.

But one thing is for sure. As of the present technology in transcription, still nothing is free, unless you still do the work.

Hope this adds up FYI.    

Edited by yordan
quoted the copied text (see edit history)

abit slow aint you this topic is from 2013, and only one reply now is you Edgar835

please do not bring up old topics start your own fresh topic about a subject you have an interest in,

by the way no offence to the comment about you being abit slow it is not meant  as an insult.

Why not? If the topic is still interesting, could be useful to wake it up, bringing new ideas.

I always had poor cheap hardware, so voice-to text gave rather disapointing results on my devices. The advertisements say that it works well, seems that saying "please find a bakery around here" would make a smart smartphone show me where to buy my bread. Unfortunately, every time I made this kind of test, the written texts off my own words are not the words I was thinking about.

Of course, this could be a philosophical topic : While I am speaking, do people ear the words I am wanting to pronounce? Maybe I think something and my mouth say something else? Or I say something the facing person ear something else? Nevertheless, when I think something and want to say it, the speech-to-text writes something different ! :D

Of course, this behaviour could be due to the fact that I test only free softwares, maybe commercial softwares work fare better. However, I can't test commercial softwares without paying them, I don't want to pay something just for testing, and I don't want to pay for a software which writes down a text I am able to write with my fingers on a keyboard :(

Maybe I will change my wind when I will not have a real 102-keys keybord and have only and Android keyboard, which is very poor from productivity and accuracy whil I am the person using it. T_T