xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheDisturbedOne

700mb Free On Mac Os X Help

The iMac that I always use is down to 700MB free, which isn't enought for nearly anything. Any suggestions on how to make some more free space? I don't have any torrents (legal or illegal) that take up space, and my iTunes library is down to 1.6GB. Once I get my iPod Touch I will be moving my entire iTunes library (and a bunch of videos) to the iPod, which will give me 2-3GB free of space.Are there any hidden places where there might be files that could be deleted?Thanks

The iMac that I always use is down to 700MB free, which isn't enought for nearly anything. Any suggestions on how to make some more free space? I don't have any torrents (legal or illegal) that take up space, and my iTunes library is down to 1.6GB. Once I get my iPod Touch I will be moving my entire iTunes library (and a bunch of videos) to the iPod, which will give me 2-3GB free of space.

Are there any hidden places where there might be files that could be deleted?

Thanks

USe this program from this website below...

http://www.derlien.com/

This graphical utility will show you what is using up all your hard drive space. Then you can just delete the files you dont need that are taking up space.

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I run Mac OS 10.2. That would be something that I would love to use though!

Ok then let me make some suggestions about what most likely is taking up space. Movies, each movie is about 1 gb
Music, each music file is about 4mbs for lossy or 30mb lossless, but they add up fast
Virtual Machines, each virtual machine uses from 4-20gbs.
Pictures, each picture is only a couple of mbs but if you have thousands of them they add up.
Some applications are fairly large.
Make sure you empty your trash.

Other than that I suggest you buy a new hard drive. They are very cheap... You can get a 1tb (1000gb) hard drive for less than $100. If you want to go this way tell me what version of imac you have and Ill help you find a hard drive. To find what version of the imac you have click on the apple symbol, then about this mac, then more info, and it should be under "Model Identifier". Mine for my macbook is "Macbook 4,1"

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I run Mac OS 10.2. That would be something that I would love to use though!

Don't worry man, there's an older version of Disk Inventory X in the 'downloads' area (just like I suspected :P) which runs on 10.2. You should always check for older versions of the software, you'll never know what'll come out of it!

Here you have the direct link, I'm sure you'll enjoy the find: http://www.derlien.com/diskinventoryx/downloads/Disk%20Inventory%20X%200.8.dmg

Ok then let me make some suggestions about what most likely is taking up space.

Movies, each movie is about 1 gb

Music, each music file is about 4mbs for lossy or 30mb lossless, but they add up fast

Virtual Machines, each virtual machine uses from 4-20gbs.

Pictures, each picture is only a couple of mbs but if you have thousands of them they add up.

Some applications are fairly large.

Make sure you empty your trash.

Other than that I suggest you buy a new hard drive. They are very cheap... You can get a 1tb (1000gb) hard drive for less than $100. If you want to go this way tell me what version of imac you have and Ill help you find a hard drive. To find what version of the imac you have click on the apple symbol, then about this mac, then more info, and it should be under "Model Identifier". Mine for my macbook is "Macbook 4,1"

I have an iMac G3. I think I'm just going through the files that I have and delete a bunch of them. I have about 3GB of site backups, that can just be deleted. I also have a 160GB external hard drive, but unfortunately it only works with 10.3 and above. To tell you the truth, I've been wanting a new Mac, but they cost so much.

Don't worry man, there's an older version of Disk Inventory X in the 'downloads' area (just like I suspected :P) which runs on 10.2. You should always check for older versions of the software, you'll never know what'll come out of it!

Here you have the direct link, I'm sure you'll enjoy the find: http://www.derlien.com/diskinventoryx/downloads/Disk%20Inventory%20X%200.8.dmg

Ah thanks. Usually I look, but recently even the oldest version of software (BitTorrent to name one) rarely works on my computer.

That's what I mean by new :P I have never bought anything from the Apple store brand new. Infact I'm ordering a "new" iPod Touch from the refurbished section. Apple's prices are outrageous, but buying refurbished helps lower the costOther tips I have found to lower prices? Government Discount if you work for the US or a State government you get a few dollars off Apple products.? Education Discount if you are a teacher at a school or college, same as above, but you usually get more of a discount? Recycling Apple gives you 10% off a (new, not refurbished) iPod. I'm not sure if they do this with computers too, but it is a good deal if you have a broken iPod and want a new iPod.