xisto Community
rogerthecamel

Computer Vision Discussion

I wasn't sure where to start this topic so I figured here would do. I thought I'd open a topic discussing Computer Vision. This is a topic that I am currently doing a PhD on and one that while highly interesting with cool potential applications, not many people know a great deal about. So I thought I'd start this thread to answer any questions about it or just open discussion in the area, giving others who have knowledge in the area a place to contribute.So computer vision is basically taking images/video and analysing them programatically to reach some understanding about them. This might be tracking an intruder walking in a restricted area, recognising an object and calculating its pose, or positioning a hand in video as some kind of input device. It is a reasonably new area of computer science as it requires usually a large amount of computing power. We are currently reaching processor speeds that are allowing us to do more real time computer vision processing which makes applications of it more interesting.To start you off, if you program in C/C++ then the OpenCV library (https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencvlibrary/) is a good place to start.