xisto Community
ZettaAIR

Designing Websites W/o (x)html, Php, Etc?

I was wondering if there was a way to design decent websites without using HTML, PHP, CSS, or SQL. ?Do WYSIWYG editors help at all? ?I have never tried them..... ?How easy are they? ?Does Dreamweaver CS4 help at all? ?I don't really feel like learning all of this. ?I really don't have the time.Thanks for your time. ? :)

Ummm... you really can't have a webpage without (x)html. Html is the 'language' used to supply content to a web site.Css is used to style that content. Php ang Sql are used to adjust the content automagcally depending on the selections made by the User. Wysiwyg Editors and Dreamweaver are simply tools to prvide the html coding without actually writing the html.Since you don't have the time to learn all that stuff, I suggest you use a Wysiwyg editor, although you will need to learn how to use the Editor, it will likely be quicker than learning html/css. But they write really bad code, so expect to have issues with the code.

Ummm... you really can't have a webpage without (x)html. Html is the 'language' used to supply content to a web site.Css is used to style that content. Php ang Sql are used to adjust the content automagcally depending on the selections made by the User. Wysiwyg Editors and Dreamweaver are simply tools to prvide the html coding without actually writing the html.

Since you don't have the time to learn all that stuff, I suggest you use a Wysiwyg editor, although you will need to learn how to use the Editor, it will likely be quicker than learning html/css. But they write really bad code, so expect to have issues with the code.

If I did start to learn these languages....where do you think I should start?

If I did start to learn these languages....where do you think I should start?

The place where I learned xHTML, CSS and a bit of PHP is W3Schools, but you can also try to search for free PDF books on these subjects as some of them are really helpful and totally free!

Roam and participate (if possible) in the "Programming Languages" section of this board where you'll learn lots of new stuff and where you can ask your questions too.

Also, try clicking on these searches or make up your own:

search:html tutorials filetype:pdf

search:css tutorials filetype:pdf

search:php tutorials filetype:pdf

Don't forget that the best way to learn new stuff is to experiment, so check out the codes of the sites (Ctrl-U) and I'm sure you'll find the learning of the languages much simpler and easier.

As for the original question, no, you can't make a website without the programming languages you mentioned. How can you bake a cake if you don't have the ingredients? :)

ZettaAir,I would recommend starting with HTML. Use that to create a couple of sites first. The tutorial links provided by miladinoski are quite good (W3Schools, especially). Once you get the hang of HTML, then start looking into what CSS is and how to use it. This will give you the foundation for a nice looking site.As you work with these technologies, you will slowly come to understand the limitations. Once you know you need more, start looking into what PHP is and how to use it. By that time, you will have a solid foundation and won't be thoroughly confused by how all the different languages / components interact.Finally, you will need to, if not fully learn, at least understand what SQL is and when it is appropriate to use. It is a database programming language and there are many frameworks available that hide the complexity of SQL behind a nice interface. However, keep this for later on until you have a good grounding in the 3 previous languages.Regards,z.

Ok, thanks guys!! So I will start learning HTML and try to get most of it. Then I will do CSS then PHP. Finally, I learn some SQL which is used with PHP to hold and manipulate information like log-in info....(i think). Okay.....this doesn't seem that hard. =)

If you really don't want to do HTML you can use Dreamweaver, Frontpage, etc.If you want to *customize* your website you will still need coding, as those programs are efficient for making the site, but add a lot of worthless code. Along with this, there are some things they just can't do(but for general websites it's fine).Instead of HTML, I would suggest going with a CMS though. They use WYSIWYG editors, they're easy to use, and much more efficient.

Ok, thanks guys!! So I will start learning HTML and try to get most of it. Then I will do CSS then PHP. Finally, I learn some SQL which is used with PHP to hold and manipulate information like log-in info....(i think). Okay.....this doesn't seem that hard. =)

That's pretty much it. You will come across a LOT of technologies while doing this, but just remember that each technology fills a certain niche, and until you have a need for it, you can safely ignore it.

As rpgsearcherz mentioned, there are many WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) tools available. There are also many frameworks available (CMS - content management system) that hide all the complexity from you. However, if you every want to go into the details of the framework, you will have to know the technologies mentioned here and how they work, at the very least. For most people, they can simply follow the simple installation steps and be done with it, since they'll never need anything more complex. I use Wordpress and Blogger myself, and they are amazing tools that hide ALL the complexity from the user.

There is nothing that says that you can't start making a website using a framework like Wordpress or Joomla and learn HTML/CSS/PHP/... simultaneously. Remember, if you need to get a site up ASAP, go with some kind of CMS and learn as you go.

Regards,

z.