xisto Community
zakaluka

Eve Online Review Space-based MMORPG

Eve Online is an MMORPG (Massively Multi-player Online Role Playing Game) made by CCP out of Iceland. Their main (only?) game to date is Eve Online. There are a couple of things that distinguish Eve from other MMORPGs:

(1) You pay a monthly fee to play the game. However, all updates to the game are free. So far, 11 major expansions to the game have been released to subscribers at no cost.

(2) Training skills takes time, not use. Players' attributed (Perception, Intelligence, Willpower, Memory, Charisma) decrease training time for skills, but do not contribute to combat in any way.

(3) Combat is based on your learned level of relevant skills. Because there are hundreds of skills available that would take decades to train up completely, each character is different based on the interests of the actual person behind them.

(4) Combat is not based on twitch action, but on overall tactical analysis. That is to say, the physics engine in the game makes it so that changes in direction, targets, weapons take a not-insignificant time to execute, so the details have to be thought of beforehand.

(5) The economy is almost completely player driven. If you are scammed in-game by another player and they did it without exploiting the game code, you are out of luck. It is a much harsher world, but a lot of more mature in some ways.

(6) No area (except the inside of a station) is completely safe from attack. The penalties are more severe in high security areas, but any player can attack any other player at any time for any reason.

(7) Eve runs on a single-shard server, i.e. all players in the game are playing in the same universe. This means that there is much more scope for players affecting each others' actions and goals.

(8) Eve's client is free to download. A boxed version is available and comes with additional game time and some other items, but is definitely not required.

(9) Even if you hate PvP (a core aspect of Eve), you can go into fields like mining, manufacturing, scientific research, exploration, mission running, trading, ratting, ninja salvaging, and many others. Each of these jobs can earn you money to sustain yourself. In addition, each of these jobs is important to the corporations and alliances that exist throughout Eve. Also, focusing on more than one field is completely possible and probably a good idea. -- thanks to onscreen

Storyline

Basically, humans found a wormhole when expanding out from Earth. Thousands of people left to find a better life and expand into new colonies. This continued for quite a while, until, one day, the wormhole suddenly collapsed. Now, the people on the other side of the wormhole have to survive with no contact to Earth. The time period is set 21,000 years in the future.

The various factions (Caldari, Gallente, Amarr, Minmatar) are fighting to hold their own territory. However, thanks to the fact that most of the universe is player-driver, player corporations / alliances can and do hold vast tracts of space to rival that held by the 4 major empires.

Graphics

Eve Online's graphics are extremely creative, yet the game has low system requirements. The game's latest release made it so that a minimum of Shader Model 2 is required to play. However, the textures and models are very detailed and beautifully crafted. The backgrounds truly lend a sense of awe to how large the universe really is compared to an individual pilot.

Sound

Eve's sound is quite well done. The music, when coordinated correctly, adds much to the excitement of entering battle or escaping from an engagement.

Gameplay

The game's story line is very deep. There is constant conflict going on in the universe, both driven by CCP and players. CCP also regularly releases short stories that describe various aspects of life in the Eve universe.

Players are able to craft their characters to be good at everything from combat to mining to manufacturing and research. There is a place for all these professions in Eve.

Controls

The game is mostly controlled by the mouse with a certain number of keyboard shortcuts that make life simpler when performing repetitive tasks.

Summary

Eve Online is a fantastic game that allows people to participate in a non-standard RPG without the grind. Additionally, players can buy game time with the in-game currency (ISK). This means that a successful pilot can play the game for free indefinitely, as long as they keep making money.

There is a 15-day demo available from the Eve website for anyone who wants to try the game. Since character creation and introduction to the Eve universe has been recently revamped, it is a great time to new players to try it out or old players to return to the game.

Regards,

z.

Edited by zakaluka (see edit history)

Here are some images to show people what Eve is like:

A stargate activating, allowing you to jump between solar systems:

Posted Image

My Rifter (a frigate class ship, very nice):

Posted Image

Flying to a stargate (that streak in the middle is me):

Posted Image

Warping through a solar system at 6 AU/s, very nice indeed:

Posted Image

Regards,

z.

Thanks for the review! I almost got Eve Online at one point until I found out it was space based...I'm more into the fantasy type where you play an actual character and go kill monsters/other players and stuff.I may end up checking this out for a little though due to the review talking about a trial...Didn't know there was one, :).So thanks again!

Thanks for the review! I almost got Eve Online at one point until I found out it was space based...I'm more into the fantasy type where you play an actual character and go kill monsters/other players and stuff.
I may end up checking this out for a little though due to the review talking about a trial...Didn't know there was one, :).

So thanks again!

I'm glad you liked the review. It's a little light on the details, so I'll try to make additional posts about it. Just like you, I am much more into fantasy type games (started with Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star on the original NES / Sega). I've played WoW and still play Guild Wars. However, the biggest reason I moved to Eve Online was that I couldn't stand the grind required to increase level and improve skill. After reaching level 40-45 in WoW, I just got bored running to the same areas and killing the same monsters over and over.

In contrast, there was a battle involving a few hundred ships in Eve recently. All happened in one region of space between a couple of large player alliances. I believe over a hundred large ships were killed. Very spectacular.

If you do use the trial, do post your character (not account!) name here. I'll try to help you out if I can. Best of luck.

Regards,

z.

I'm glad you liked the review. It's a little light on the details, so I'll try to make additional posts about it. Just like you, I am much more into fantasy type games (started with Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star on the original NES / Sega). I've played WoW and still play Guild Wars. However, the biggest reason I moved to Eve Online was that I couldn't stand the grind required to increase level and improve skill. After reaching level 40-45 in WoW, I just got bored running to the same areas and killing the same monsters over and over.
In contrast, there was a battle involving a few hundred ships in Eve recently. All happened in one region of space between a couple of large player alliances. I believe over a hundred large ships were killed. Very spectacular.

If you do use the trial, do post your character (not account!) name here. I'll try to help you out if I can. Best of luck.

Regards,

z.

Awesome. If I do, it will be a short while before I get the chance.

As for the grinding aspect of games...I really prefer it. My favorite game so far is Lineage II, and it's because it is hardcore anti-carebear. In case you haven't played it, it takes around a year of no-lifing to hit maximum level on one class, and you can have up to 4. On top of that, if you die in PvP, PvE, Sieges, or any other way, you lose experience(at max level one death = around 4 days of nolifing to regain the experience).

I can't stand games where people can lose over and over without worrying because there is no true loss. In L2 if you die you are using up your time. It causes there to be a lot more competition and people are much more efficient in playing.

Regardless, can't pass up the chance to try out another game for free, :).

Awesome. If I do, it will be a short while before I get the chance.
As for the grinding aspect of games...I really prefer it. My favorite game so far is Lineage II, and it's because it is hardcore anti-carebear. In case you haven't played it, it takes around a year of no-lifing to hit maximum level on one class, and you can have up to 4. On top of that, if you die in PvP, PvE, Sieges, or any other way, you lose experience(at max level one death = around 4 days of nolifing to regain the experience).

I can't stand games where people can lose over and over without worrying because there is no true loss. In L2 if you die you are using up your time. It causes there to be a lot more competition and people are much more efficient in playing.

Regardless, can't pass up the chance to try out another game for free, :P.

Sounds great. I've heard of Lineage 2 but never played it. I'll definitely have to check that out in the future.

I think my biggest problem with grinding was time, since I was working a 60+ hour a week job when I started Eve. Nowadays, I have a little more available, but I'm just addicted now :).

If you don't like care-bearing, you will really love Eve. The kill anywhere rule is fantastic. If a player is running missions, you can loot the NPC wrecks behind them, tempting them to engage you. Plus, when you kill players, their ship will drop loot based on inventory and current equipped modules (can be worth a LOT). In addition, the player will end up in a pod (no-defense capsule that can exist in space). At that point, you can destroy the pod, destroying any implants they have currently equipped (some implants go for 100's of millions of ISK, so you can imagine they might be a little pissed). Look forward to seeing you there in the future!

Regards,

z.

14 Days from CCP and 21 days from Steam client on the trial.

I used to play EvE Online and pilot one of the baddest Gallente Battlecruiser. The fun part is that i am a tugboat in most warfare, salvaging all the wrecks for income. EvE isnt just about PVP. Its about trust and alliance. Its up to your playstyle in this sandbox MMO, you can be cunning or truthful.

Unique part is the character development. Your playstyle is the foundation to the development and the priority of skill development too.

If you don't like care-bearing, you will really love Eve.

I strongly disagree on this. Carebear or non alike will still enjoy EVE Online. If you hate combat and all the pvp, you can be a trader specialize in manufacturing, mining and so on and your only true enemy is the pirates. If you like combating but dislike in being part of the pvp, ratting mission running can be a good source for enjoying EVE Online. Generally its up to you on how you see things running in EVE, you are the judge to yourself when it come to these.
Edited by onscreen (see edit history)

14 Days from CCP and 21 days from Steam client on the trial.
I used to play EvE Online and pilot one of the baddest Gallente Battlecruiser. The fun part is that i am a tugboat in most warfare, salvaging all the wrecks for income. EvE isnt just about PVP. Its about trust and alliance. Its up to your playstyle in this sandbox MMO, you can be cunning or truthful.

Unique part is the character development. Your playstyle is the foundation to the development and the priority of skill development too.

This part has changed a lot too (for example, you can't adjust attributes during character creation anymore. And I completely agree about the trust / alliance part.

I strongly disagree on this. Carebear or non alike will still enjoy EVE Online. If you hate combat and all the pvp, you can be a trader specialize in manufacturing, mining and so on and your only true enemy is the pirates. If you like combating but dislike in being part of the pvp, ratting mission running can be a good source for enjoying EVE Online. Generally its up to you on how you see things running in EVE, you are the judge to yourself when it come to these.

I had meant to say, "if you don't like care-bears, ....". This is because, more than any other MMO I've played, you can go after care-bears in Eve anywhere, anytime. I know, because I am a carebear to a large degree and have felt the pain of losing my only mission running ship to pirates (luckily, I got into a PvP ship with some corp members and was able to hunt down and kill the pirate).

I've added the other jobs to the review, thanks.

Regards,

z.
Edited by zakaluka (see edit history)

played the game for two years, but my character is just waiting there now for some much needed improvements. I got bored by the pvp part of the game and that is the only part where the game succeeds. Also with the last addons they just expanded the pvp part of the game, soo if u'r not a pvp fan this game may not be for u cause just shooting npc dots or clicking on an asteroid may not cut it for you. I'm waiting impatiently for now for some space mmos that are in closed beta. As for eve i'll just wait for them to expand the game in other directions than just pvp.

Excelent review OP.I play EVE Online now for 5 years and still loving the game!I do have to say, this is a game in wich the longer you play, the more fun it gets. Flying Titans and Supercarriers (very very big ships) is usually for players who play at least 2-3 years and imo not the ships every player would like to fly, due to their time and costs.Instead you start with frigate class, cruiser class and up. Improved frigates and cruisers, battlecruisers and so on, wich are way more fun to fly in pvp. The owners (CCP) also made it easier now for newer player to jump in with gifts that shorten train times, moneymaking etc etc.Awesome game :D

I've never played EVE but people still talk about it a lot in modern games. Many claim it has the best PvP ever. And my understanding is you don't have to pay monthly since people can "trade" game time for items/gold?

Indeed it is possible to trade for game time for ingame money (ISK) or items, CCP has a nifty systems since 2 years called PLEX, wich allows a player to buy a PLEX (gametime) for ingame marketprices. Thing is it's not very easy make 400 Million ISK when you first start playing, but after several months, depending on the player, you could afford it.And it's indeed the best PvP I've ever played in an mmo :D