xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rogerthecamel

Hello From New Zealand

Hi, I am Robert from New Zealand...A little bit about myself, well I have a Bachelor of Science(Hons) majoring in Computer Science. Currently I am still studying, doing a PhD in Computer Vision. So if anyone has any questions or thoughts related to computer vision or colour theory, or anything like that I could probably be of help. Not sure if that fits anywhere in these forums yet but hopefully this could be my contribution. I also have interests in other areas such as computer graphics, some web and database programming. Outside of computing I am very interested in physics and the like, I have been playing around recently with lasers, peltier freezing modules, magnets, etc.That said I'll probably be coming to you guys more for help than anything, I know some limited php and javascript but am interested in learning what other web languages are out their, what advantages they hold and what I can do with them.Thanks,Robert.

Hello fellow kiwi, Welcome to the forums it is indeed a great place to interact with others while at the same time get some good free quality host. PhD in computer vision? I have no idea what you do in that can you please explain.

Computer Vision is basically the processing of images and/or video to extract some kind of useful information. An example of where computer vision is used every day is in video compression. When encoded videos are processed by tracking arbitrary 'pixel blobs' motion over time, this means that all of the pixels colours don't have to be stored every frame, just their relative motion which can hugely reduce file size. Other uses include optical character recognition, augmented reality, object/human tracking, robot navigation, object recognition, etc. My specific area is Illumination Invariance, which basically means removing lighting effects from video so that they can be easier for computer to process and make sense of. I am always keen to answer more questions if you have any.