xisto Community
Haricotcur

Need Help To Quickly Set Up Linux And Use Htaccess [resolved]

I want to use htaccess in my localhost testing server and unfortunately it can be used only on a linux system. The problem is that I don't know linux, its file system, etc. So, for time being I have installed Virtual Box. Now I am confused how to set this up on Ubuntu since I dont know how to use the command prompt in Server edition and also have no idea how to set up Apache and PHP on Ubuntu Desktop Edition. So please any ideas on how to move on. I have the version 8 of both the Editions and are both installed on virtual box. I don't want to upload my scripts on a remote server, as I am just learning to use htaccess for some basic url rewriting and wouldn't like to mess with others servers.Please explain in detail. I just want to run my scripts.

What do you mean by htaccess? You mean .htaccess file? htaccess works in Apache server in Windows also. Setup a server like WAMP and place your .htaccess file in the particular folder you want to lock or restrict its access through browser(using localhost url). If thats what you want I'll give you full details. If not tell us what you want clearly.

Oh my bad, silliest mistake. I forgot to restart apache after uncommenting the mod rewrite load module line in http.conf and straight away went ahead with installing linux. I don't know what made me do so quickly without analyzing the problem. Thanks xpress for making me think back about the problem in windows. By the time you posted that I already went ahead with my linux expedition and got my uncle (not a web developer) to install kubuntu KDE over the Server Edition. Anyway I am happy that it works on windows and am back on it.

Lessons learnt:

1) Always restart Apache after modifying http.conf.

2) Think about ways to solve the problem instead of finding alternate methods.

My problem has been resolved and this topic may be closed.

Topic is resolved.Please PM any moderator to continue this discussion. Until then, this topic is closed.