xisto Community
frozen.fish

Setting Up Domain Question Name Server and Zone Records

Hello,What is the difference between the two? When should I use Zone records? I just change the name servers for the site I setup. they both point to where the website is at right?Also how can I have my own nameserver used?Thank you for the help here..

Um right well I don't really understand you but I think I know what you are talking about,Anyway...Say if you have your website on the host "ulmb.com"You have to get there domain servers from them so for this example there will be two and they will be "n01.ulmb.com" & "n02.ulmb.com"Then you put them in on the Xisto domain setup section, Then you put in your domain or your hostThen you should be done I hope this is right.

Thank you ashbash for the help.I think what you are talking about are the nameservers..what about if i set it up using zone records? cause i dont think they can be used at the same time when setting it up where i bought my domain. Can I use them both to point at my host?ok, here's the thing, i bought domain at namecheap and host here, so i setup the name servers at namecheap to ns1.trap17.com or something right..but I want to use my own nameserver. e.g. ns1.mydomain.com. how to do that?I think the obvious reason to use Zone Records is when I need to set it up to have own CNAME and SRV such as google apps..

bump please..(is it ok to bump up some thread?)
I need assistance.. :) want to learn to setup and use my own nameservers..

Not really required to learn unless you are running your own Hosting Company and have your own Server. The Name Server where you are Hosted is not accessible to members. For the purposes of your Hosting Account on the Xisto, all you need to know is how to point a Domain to the Hosting Server you are using.

I need assistance.. :P want to learn to setup and use my own nameservers..

I agree with jlhaslip about this issue. Why do you want to setup your own nameservers? Thats not necessary to run your own website. Just point your nameservers in your domain control panel to computinhost. If you don't know how to point nameservers ask us and we'll help you. :)

Hello,
What is the difference between the two?

When should I use Zone records? I just change the name servers for the site I setup.

they both point to where the website is at right?

Also how can I have my own nameserver used?

Thank you for the help here..

I have not heard about zone records. But there are zone files. A zone file is a text file that describes a portion of the Domain Name System(DNS) called a DNS zone. A zone contains information about domain names and IP addresses which are organized in the form of resource records (RR). I think you are telling about Resource Records as Zone Records. Yes Nameservers point to where your website is located. They will be provided by your hosting provider.
If you have a Virtual Dedicated Hosting you can can have your own server. To see an example of Zone files and name servers follow the link below:

http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch6/mydomain.html

You can also use http://www.whoisxy.com/ to know what nameservers you are using. Just do a whois search there and you will find all the details about your website such as address, contact information, Nameservers, etc. The DNS Query link allows you to know the Resource Records used by any website. Just enter the website name and it will list them all. When you have a look at all these you will be able to understand more.
Edited by Jothsha (see edit history)