xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brandonjbegle

Sandisk U3 Drive Great

I finally got a u3 smart drive, i had been putting it off because i really didn't think i was gonna like it. It turns out that the U3 smart drive is a great thing, and has a lot of available programs for it. I would definately recommend a u3 drive for anybody. One downside of it is the fact that not all software for it is free. Most of it is above $40. i give it a 9 out of 10!

There are bunch of FREE portable softwares out there.. I think theyre phasing out U3 drives already.. :PThey're not as good as you think..visit portableapps.com for FREE open source usb software. :)by the way im using sandisk u3 drive too but disabled the u3 since it will still left behind traces.. open source does'nt if ever it does they will tell..

I agree with Kerco, portableapps.com is an amazing suite, and it is also boasts quite a lot of free software, because it is all open source, such as complete office editing suites. U3, no one would pay around 40 dollars for a software just to make it portable, and perhaps you should spend the excess money on a bigger USB drive, or perhaps a more rugged one, or one that comes bundled with a back up suite.

I own a few SanDisk Cruzers myself, and I think that most people find that the U3 software is so intrusive (with automatic installation) that they don't bother looking at the software well enough to appreciate what's available. Thankfully, SanDisk offers a removal option, but they should offer the software as a free download instead of programming each USB stick to auto-install the software regardless of what the user wants.

As mentioned, I'm sure that there are a ton of free alternatives to the software included anyway, although one thing that U3 will have convenient is that it is pre-installed and comes as a consolidated suite. One gripe that I have with Cruzers, however, is that they test out to be one of the slowest-performing USB sticks out there... which probably explains why they're so darn cheap.

Spend the extra money to get a Titanium edition stick. :) For some reason after some impromptu research, the Titanium reads slower than its Micro counterpart but writes faster. You can take a look at one article here.

From my personal experience, U3 is great, with a lot of good software even for free.But like several others, portableapps seems much better.I suppose each has its own advantages and disadvantages, with U3 installing software very simply and easily, and portableapps being free.Personally, I reckon trying both is the best idea.

I have just been to portableapps and got some great U3 programs. They are great and easy to install - like the other U3s. Highly recommendable.But, after installing it, I found that the program does not show up in the U3 launch pad. So it didn't go as well as I thought.

Edited by cyber_electrons (see edit history)

well. pa is just amazing and the list is still going on. but sometimes still i can not find portable one. recomment you a even amazing one, called prayaya V3, similar to u3, but it is more powerful. i can alsmot directly installl any software directly. free