xisto Community
websey

Urban Terror League (quake 3 Arena Mod) Just some thoughts that I have been having

Hi Guys,

I dont know how many of you play Urban Terror, The mod for Quake 3 Arena but I am thinking of setting up a 1v1 FFA challenge ladder.

Basically it will not just be a 1v1 match I will set up a server (I currently have 3 based in the UK)

and as many people as they want can join the game I will post the IP and Pass on our forums at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and you basically set down challenges to each other lasting a week.

So however many times you meet each other in a week you then add all the points together and you have your final score,

for the americans amongst us I can set it so you can have the server to yourselfs through out the night (uk time) as this is when the servers are most empty.

As I said just some thoughts at the moment and I still composing the whole mechanics of it as well as coding the leader board,

but any input would be great.

If you would like to try any of the servers the IP's are posted below

Multiplay.co.uk :<Morbid Wraith>UrT TDM (No Longer Active as Moving Hosts)

IP : 85.236.100.60:28060

Server Admins : Byta, Ins@tiable, websey, BobT and others.

<MW>wraith.org.uk: CTF Server 2

IP : 89.238.160.26:27960

<MW>wraith.org.uk: TDM Server 3

IP : 95.154.192.17:27960

I also have a VPS server that I could possibly set another server up on if I get enough people wanting to play,

for the 1st season there will not be any prizes but I am in talks with some companies to see if they will sponsor the league and if so

what they would be willing to sponsor us with

But if you would like more info either reply to this thread or you can email me at websey@wraith.org.uk

Anyway Cheers for reading and hope to frag you soon

websey

Edited by websey (see edit history)

I downloaded this game i week ago or so, and i must say that i had big expectations since quake 3 is a good game in my opinion, but the fast paced of urban terror on the online multiplayer game is to fast to me, i just do not like a pace like that, players i always running and jumping too fast to enjoy the game, i prefer games like return to castle wolfenstein (the free and specially the pay version which has a single player mod), call of duty, brothers in arms, allied assault, delta force land warrior, and those games are really good, specially the first one.

Hi Mate,I am sorry to hear that you do not enjoy the fast paced nature of the game although I must admit I dont find it any faster than q3a to be honest or even some other games...But then again I like to be on the edge of my seat screaming at the screen :DAnyway keep at it you mite like it in the end :D

I prefer the supracited games, they are not fast paced for sure, i play those games in a weakly basis, all, and the rithm is not fast as urban terror, though it has reasonable graphics, weapons, mods, maps, and more, but it is the really fast pace that makes me feel frustrated to enjoy as well as kill, he he he.In the genre of fps action games, single or multi player games, call of duty is my best game, then the return to castle wolfenstein, i am pretty much divided between both, but call of duty has many versions and a lot more maps.Halo, which is also a fps type game, of adventure too i may say in my opinion, it is not the same type, but is very very cool, specially the multiplayer game, it has a more fast pace then call of duty and return to castle wolfenstein, but not too much.I will give it more a few tries to see if i start to enjoy urban terror, perhaps you are right, perhaps i will like it in the end.

Hey mate,Where are you based ? UK, US or Europe ?I am normally online most days between 5 - 11pm GMT on the servers named above, and am always willing to help new players learn a few hints and tips of the game. You can always catch me on the forum as well t our site http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ I am one of the head admins for the clan and I must say all the clan members tend to abide by the same rules as me..There is also a large admin presence on the servers as we all play on them regularly and we range in our game modes ! (maybe that was another thing you didn't enjoy the game mode) If you do come on our servers just look out for people with <MW> before there name and say <MW>websey said to start playing on the servers Do you use chat programs like xfire or irc ? if so add me on xfire (webs3y) or join our irc channel #wraith.clan on quakenet if you have irc already you can join by copying and pasting this into the address bar in your web browser irc://irc.quakenet.org/wraith.clanJust PM me if you drop by To be honest I have never been one for the call of duty games I don't know what it is....Wolfenstein is a good game a purchased it years ago when it was retail... But I do tend to like most games based on the q3a engine anyway...Well I hope that if you do give it a go again you can come and play on our servers and we can have some good games anyway have fun & good luck websey

Edited by websey (see edit history)

Return to castle wofenstein has the q3 engine, though has a slower pace, much like call of duty, not exatly, but it is ok to me, call of duty is one of the most popular games in the fps action type/genre games, i love it since version 1, and i have the versions 1, 2 and 4, the last wich is the world at war, is getting to confused and it is loosing qualities in my personal view of course.I have been playing return to castle wofenstein, the single player mode, which you can download free maps from its home page at filefront.com, the maps are spectacular, i still can not understand why they offer free maps there, they are way good to play singleplayer games, well, i prefer to kick germans and nazis faces instead of having help online on the multiplayer mod, nonetheless, there a free version named wolfenstein - enemy territory, which has also free maps for multiplayer mod, it is the most cool fps action game along side with call of duty, but one is free and the other is not.Thanks for your help, but those 2 games already occupy my entire free time to play games, there is tons of free games to play still, and i just can't get enough! Though, thanks for you help, i apreciate it a lot.

Hi Mate,Yeah I agree wolfenstein is a great game ! I even have the first one still installed on my p3 laptop (wolfenstein 3D)But I disagree on COD being a good game, Not for any reason other than the fact that the franchise ahs been done to death ! I used to play COD 2 and I liked it for awhile but it is very same - y as in there is no differnce between COD 2 and COD 4 other than the story line and GFX... They have not brought anything inovative to the series that you could not get in a different game before hand, This is why I like free gamesThere are no board of directors to please no one expecting this or that in the cash sense, most of the people who create these free games are bedroom coders and as such they are unique. for instance look at counter strike before valve took them over, it was an amazing game and there was nothing wrong with it in the sense that it was played and msot people enjoyed it, Also it was free Now look since valve have taken it on and you know have to Buy it, what is that about.. Nothing has changed (well it is now run on the source engine) but it could of been even if valve didnt buy it, The same with Day of Defeat I loved that game but I no longer play it because when i started it was free now i have to pay for it thats a rip.I suppose what I am trying to say is that I value Urban Terror over COD or CSS or DOD because it is done by the community for the community if the community asks enough and the developers like the idea they will incorporate it into the game.Look at the variety of game modes as well (TDM {team death match}, CTF {capture the flag}) (Bomb {basically CSS for free again}) (FFA {free for all},TS[team survivor})Thats 5 different game modes all for free the anti cheat community is amazing its just greatI know the GFX arnt always great but come on they are working with a ancient engine to be honest and as you say yourself you love Wolfenstein so why pay the 30 odd quid for a new re run game when for free you can get an amazing game as it is,I know this is a bit off track but I dont play World of Warcraft I played Runes of Magic a free version of WoW which is great,I am not tied down to any monthly amount and if I want this or that I can buy it if I want if not I get the whole game for free and miss out on some minor things...Any way im getting off point know and yeah any way Nice to discussthis with you matewebsey

You are completely right websey, and that is why that recently, i have been experimenting free games as i loved the free fps wonfenstein enemy territory, and i am talking the free version, the one that is a multiplayer only, which you can download also dozens of awesome and free maps from its website.I was really amazed by the game, and it was free, so i guessed, it must exist other free fps games like this on the internet, i bet there is, so i discovered a few, including the urban terror game, which is really great, the thing is that it takes time to adapt to that pace if i wanted really i would succeed, but that is for a near future, i still have much to play with wolfenstein.You are right too, the free games nowadays are a better choice for gamers, specially for fps action games in single and multi player mods, more for multiplayer games though, it is a different feeling between playing against an already configured set/game then playing an unpredictable online multiplayer game/LAN game.I used to pay from 50 to 100 euros per month a few months ago on fps action games like cod, halo, brothers in arms, allied assault, and other games in the fps genre, now i do not pay a cent per month, free games nowadays are better then games you must pay for, that is a fact as you pointed out so correctly websey.You should try out the halo game, from microsoft, it is a wonderful game, very well configured, programmed and developed by gearbox or whatever if i recall correctly, the online multiplayer game is just plain great, but perhaps you have, if not, that's an advice from me to you., i have a multiplayer version only of the halo game, which you can only play online, it is a 80 MB file that you must only extract, execute, play online.That information about counter strike i did not know, but then i am not into the CS game, it is always the same thing, does not have much dynamic if you ask me, and i understand why you do not want to pay now for the CS game.

Edited by freeflashclocks (see edit history)

Hi FlasclocksThanks for your kind words..I realised I went onto a bit of a rant in the last post and thought I might of offended you which I hope I did not,You are right though I do paly wolfenstien occasionaly and the fact that you are paying in euros is even madder as the exchange rate etcBut generally I think that the best thing to do is stick to open source software and games, the fact a lot of open sourrce stuff is multi platform native as well (runs on windows,linux,mac) all the same is amazing I really take my hat off to all bedroom coders everywhereAlas I have not tried Halo yet I will look after posting this, Cheers for the heads up on it...Where abouts you from anyway mate? Mite re-download enemy territory and come and frag you abit :Dwebsey

I am from portugal, sorry for the late reply, been on other issues.You did not offend me in any way, don't worry, it was an interestng conversation.Tell me if you want halo and i'll send you what you need, trust me.

hmmm, this mod seems pretty darn cool, I play half life mods, mostly CS but I may have to try this out, Is this similar to CS at all?