xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Okay as you all know. I am not that bright when it comes to some codes and things like that. I was wondering how hard it would be to put a login box on my site, using a data base to my forum? I get my share of hits, but few go and look at all of the site. I was thinking, if I added this. maybe they would do go and look. Problem is I have no idea of what or where to even start this. Any Idea's?

A first question, you already have the page made? Meaning the header, footer or structure of the page? If you do, it's premade or you did by yourself?

Check the Tutorial Section for a couple of different methods to do the Login/Register scripting.
Have a look at this one. http://forums.xisto.com/topic/64255-creating-a-custom-php-login-script/
I haven't tried it, but reading through the code it looks like it would work. It uses Cookies to remember Members, too, so the next time they visit, *poof* they get privileges. Should be good to go.

Hmmm I think I bit off maybe more than I can chew here. Looking at that tut, it seems easy enough but my PHP is so weak maybe best I just forget that idea until I learn it a little better. maybe by 2098 I will have it down. Thanks though

The other thing you need to consider is the value and purpose of restricting the pages according to whether the client is 'signed on' and logged-in to the site. You might be shooting yourself in the foot by arbitrarily restricting access to the best part of the site you are offering.For many sites that don't allow for much 'interaction' with the client, the Log-in system is wasted. Consider that if you block the juicy stuff, the random Google client will look elsewhere for the information. On the other hand, if you serve up 'personalized information, then the Log-in is the way to go.

I was wondering how hard it would be to put a login box on my site, using a data base to my forum?

This question appears to be slightly different than what i expected from the topic. If i understand you correctly, that means you want to copy the log-in form of your forum to somewhere other than the forum itself. If that is the case, then the work is cut out for you. Just look at the source code of the forum and find the form element, then see if the action attribute contains any session variables. If it does, remove it and copy whatever is left onto anywhere you want on your site. If this is not what the question is asking for, then i can only think of two other possiblities before dropping it altogether: (1) make an extension to the forum that extends to the rest of the website, or (2) make a user-management script from scratch (this, however, seems to already been discussed). If number 1, then we may be able to help further. If number 2, then i suppose it is to be dropped.