xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rayzoredge

Need Assistance With Vmware Server How do I allow the virtual machine to see the local host?

This is probably a retarded question, but I'm new with VMWare, so here goes.What I'm trying to do is have a virtual, Windows Professional XP machine under VMWare see the hosting machine through the network in the virtual machine. Basically, I want the local hosting machine to be able to talk to the virtual machine and vice versa. This is part of the Peachtree-on-Ubuntu project that I've been trying to pursue for my company for a while and I'm still trying to get it to work. Out of perspective, it seems kind of redundant to install a Windows virtual machine to run Peachtree when I can just install the actual Windows OS on the server and just use that, but am I wrong in thinking that I can reap the benefits of a Linux machine by running Linux on the machine and virtualizing Windows to run Peachtree (which refuses my every attempt to WINE it)?Addendum: I forgot to mention that I'm running the latest version of VMWare Server on Ubuntu 8.10 Ibex... Workstation. (The more I describe the situation, the more retarded it seems.) :D

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)

I have not updated my VMware since I tried the following:One of my servers runs Windows 2000 server family and Windows XP with XAMPP as VMware. The reason for this is when I screw up too much trying to run, edit, modify XP that runs XAMPP, I can simply delete it and copy the image over to start fresh--rather than reformatting and installing XP.Of course drive image and other backup options were considered. But copying a file over is so much faster and easier to "restore" the OS the way I left off.Another server runs programs and batch programs that are nested withing the VMware image I created. And every xxx minutes I stop VMware, copy th image from CD drive and restart the VMware. This creates fresh program run in automated method. I do this for a public machine that is used by others. This is my way of clearing up the public machine that may contain previous user's information--much like a Cyber Cafe style of cleaning a machine.No, I don't think you are in the wrong path. It's tough, however, to get it to run like the way you want it.

How to load operating systems in virtual drivesNeed Assistance With Vmware Server

Started with 2003 server plus vmwareserver 2.0 loaded successfully.

After that virtual drives for windows xp, 2000 server and vista created.

Now tell me how to load operating systems  in this virtual drives.

Thanks,

Suresh

-reply by suresh