xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
stevey

Okay dowload problems. mandrake linux version10

i jus finished downloading the mandrake linux 10 os but i have a problem when i try to boot the disk it boots up, but it the installer does not boot as a gui, y is this, will someone help me out..

Probaly becasue you have the wrong type of computer. You need a i685 or i585. You must have a i385 or PPC. use redHat Linux. If that doesn't work, then get a older version of Madrake such as 9.2

my comp is way to advanced it over meets the requirements lol but i don no wots wrong coz if i try to install the linux on my laptop the gui functions properly but when i try to install it on my desktop it causes problems. so im stuck and quite frankly im starting to hate the whole thing all together.

You can try the following workaround:Download knoppix, boot the computer with the knoppix cd. It will boot from the CD entirely, no messing up your hard drive. It usually recognizes all old and new hardware. Once you are in KDE, open the konsole, and type su and press enter. Then type dmesg and try to find the information about your graphis card. My hint is that Mandrake might not support it. If this turns out to be the case, and knoppix (debian) is too difficult for you to use, you can try with the latest SuSE, which is as easy to use as Mandrake.