xisto Community
juliawiddop

Copy Protection Of Images How do you copy protect your images?

I thought I'd like to add a clear layer to my photos to protect them from being copied online, but I'm a newbie to Photoshop Essentials and don't know how to do that. Does anyone here know how, or have a better idea for copy protecting photos?

It really depends on how you are presenting your photos. I have picture galleries that run as Flash Album. It's not much but flash image cannot be "saved as" easily as regular image embedding.

You can create watermark with Photoshop by creating another layer on top of your image with a logo or text. This forum has few graphics tutorials on how to do that.

I have a script that automatically inserts watermark with a set logo everytime an image is posted on my site. The working script can be seen at http://ww2.tips-scripts.com/?folio=9POR7JU99 which I modeled my script after.

Yes, the best is to put a semi-transparent layer with your name or logo on top of your original art to protect it. If you use a presentation like Buffalo said, or a java script disabling download of your images, people can still use ctrl+print screen and then paste in Photoshop an image of your web, then crop it to fit your art, and voil? !On the other hand, there's some kind of digital watermark too that puts the information of the owner of the image in a single pixel of the file and then it restricts its use somehow, but I think that's too sophisticated and won't be useful for most of us :D

There are 100 ways to stop Image theft and 101 ways to do it. Disable right-click does not work to stop Image theft. A simple "save page as" will capture even the background images if you know how to do that. The idea is to stop the viewers from wanting to save the image, ie: watermarking them as suggested above. You can find a batch watermarking software and keep the already marked images on your site, probably the best thing for minimizing the Server loads, or Watermark them as they are called to display, like BuffaloHELP's script does. This saves you from forgetting to place the watermark on individual images prior to uploading.

It really depends on how you are presenting your photos. I have picture galleries that run as Flash Album. It's not much but flash image cannot be "saved as" easily as regular image embedding.
You can create watermark with Photoshop by creating another layer on top of your image with a logo or text. This forum has few graphics tutorials on how to do that.

I have a script that automatically inserts watermark with a set logo everytime an image is posted on my site. The working script can be seen at http://ww2.tips-scripts.com/?folio=9POR7JU99 which I modeled my script after.

watermark is the best way to protect your images :D