xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Microsoft To Let Pc Users Turn Off Ie Web Browser

All together now **FINALLY**

Well it seems that Microsoft has finally listen to its customers for once and now it is possible to get rid of Internet Explorer in Windows 7 altogether and have no ill effect on the rest of the system. Of course there is more, it seems that you will be able to disable Windows Media Player along with with the built in search system as well. It makes me wonder if after all these lawsuits they have gotten over the years finally made Microsoft say "FINE We will make Internet Explorer optional". Of course, it took a couple of bloggers to actually discover this and once the discovery was made, Microsoft finally revealed that it was true.

However, how will this affect Internet Explorer in the Browser Wars? I say it will affect Internet Explorer greatly and I would say a year after IE8 comes out, its market share will drop to at least 50-60 points making it at least the number three browser with Firefox and Opera taking a large chunk of that share drop. Even though that is a big number that most likely won't happen for a couple of years, Internet Explorer will lose a good portion of its points once people start switching over. That is if people start switching over once Windows 7 comes out and so it makes my statement seem a bit stupid, but who knows it could take something like this to motivate people to buy an operating system.

SOURCE

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/160856/windows_7_ie_off_switch_what_took_so_long.html

Hurray! Microsoft has finally smartened up. I have to agree that IE will be loosing a lot of it's users. I would say a large chunk of its users only use it because they think its the only available option... Its going to be nice to see people switching to browsers that don't suck. Maybe it could even encourage the makers of IE to increase their efforts and actually make a decent browser... nah I doubt it :D

As Prince sang Party like its 1999 but in this case Party like its windows 7. I am thrilled to see Mircosoft finally getting off ther milti billion dollor tushies, and doing something that John Q Public has asked for and wanted for years. It is a well known fact that IE is Beep. and that WMP is outdated Heck Since I have had the pc that I am on now, I have yet to ever use it. Winamp all the way here. Fact if it was me that was doing the build for Win 7. I would make IE a Add on along with WMP. to me that is 2 of the most worthless things in the world. Only time that I use IE is here at Xisto because I know it is a safe site. way too many bugs in it. Yes I know IE 7 and 8 are to me much safer and better, but will I take that chance? Only if S_M becomes owner of Xisto haha.

Hurray! Microsoft has finally smartened up. I have to agree that IE will be loosing a lot of it's users. I would say a large chunk of its users only use it because they think its the only available option... Its going to be nice to see people switching to browsers that don't suck.
Maybe it could even encourage the makers of IE to increase their efforts and actually make a decent browser... nah I doubt it

Yeah! I was sick and tired of dealing with issues that were only came up in IE and not in the other browsers!

IE is the wackest thing ever and I hope more people will come to Firefox or Opera. Chrome?? Not really!

I think all browsers should just be up for donlwoad to have a fair play field.

Hurray!

It's good news that IE can be uninstalled as I understood without making the system fail, but I just doubt that everyone will start using Firefox, unless someone will just show them that it exists, as most of people don't care about the browser, it's usually us, younger people or people which are more into computers, as I see usually everyone of my age are using Firefox or Opera, but most of people who are not interested in browsing, just for news and chatting/email are using IE, people who can't even install Windows as its something difficult, besides IE7 got much "better" than IE6 and as I saw final IE8 beta might be also better, most of people don't care if it is passing Acid3 test or not, as the only thing they want is that sites they browse would work.I personally won't uninstall IE as I will use it to look how some sites/designs works on it, besides just not opening IE feels for me that there's no IE, for some people I installed Firefox or Opera, I usually hide/delete the icon of IE and they think it's uninstalled.

Well it seems that Microsoft has finally listen to its customers for once and now it is possible to get rid of Internet Explorer in Windows 7 altogether and have no ill effect on the rest of the system.

I think they listened more to the EU antitrust lawsuit against them, rather than their customers, but at least they're listening to someone. Also, you can't actually 'get rid' of IE, just turn it off. The files remain on your PC, as they are still needed by other applications, but it will appear to the user that it no longer exists.

However, how will this affect Internet Explorer in the Browser Wars?

You know how browsers on Windows are obsessed with asking you to set them as the default? Now, when Firefox (for example) asks if you want Firefox to be the default browser, it might be able to turn IE off when it does so. A lot of people will then just use their new browser, because they won't be able to find IE. Whether that is the right thing to do, however, (or whether it would actually happen) is another matter.

This is interesting news. Of course Windows 7 is not in release yet so this could change as well. Knowing Microsoft I fell fairly certain that they will make sure all other MS products work best with IE if they work at all on other browsers. I could honestly see them making asp so that it needed IE.

This is interesting news. Of course Windows 7 is not in release yet so this could change as well. Knowing Microsoft I fell fairly certain that they will make sure all other MS products work best with IE if they work at all on other browsers. I could honestly see them making asp so that it needed IE.

This will most likely be true. In addition, there are enough 3rd-party apps that use IE internally that, without it, the app will perform less than optimally or fail outright. Still, it is definitely good news.

Regards,

z.