xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
aloKNsh

Speed Up Utorrent How to speed up uTorrent?

Lol but its not a jokei have seen utorrents with speed up to 2mbpsand mine is approx 106kbpscan any tell me how to speed up utorrents downloades

Well there are many factors to the speed of torrents, two of the main ones are the Seeds, and your Bandwidth.

The download speed is usually capped at around 1/10 of your download bandwidth (you can check here: http://www.speedtest.net/ ) and the amount of seeders also help greatly

The more the better.

The other ways to increase speed is portfowarding, and adjusting settings, google around, you will find something.

But it depends on the ISP, some ISP is offering download rates independent to your Upload rate, making at once to download and upload at your max ratio of your Internet Plan/Package.It's usually the seeders, if seeders near you are sharing and are not doing like cyber_electrons said, limiting the upload to 5 KB/s and you can download from him 2 Mbps than it's fast for you.. Also it depends on how much seeders and leachers there are on the current torrent. So in fact it depends on a lot of things, you might get higher speeds if you'll change priority, but I never tried that as I'm not downloading to much stuff and waiting an hour is not to much for me.

There are ways to speed up utorrent but, you can't go over your actual internet speed. If you want speed, buy a faster internet connection. You can also port forward. BTW, many ISPs in states and some other countries limit your P2P speeds. You might also have a bottleneck somewhere, maybe your dsl modem or the server limiting your speeds.

Um isn't downloading torrents illegal therefore making U torrent illegal and I don't think this forum allows illegal things correct me if I am wrong :s.

Um isn't downloading torrents illegal therefore making U torrent illegal and I don't think this forum allows illegal things correct me if I am wrong :s.

I don't believe the torrents themselves are illegal. Although, if I am incorrect, someone please correct me. As far as I know, torrents are not illegal simply because they are used to share files. Now, the legality of these files is the dispute. If a torrent is being used to share files without proper consent, etc., then they are illegally sharing files. However, if torrents are being used to legally share files, then there really is no issue.

Of course even though I am sure that the vast majority of torrent users are using them for illegal purposes, this does not mean the torrents themselves are illegal.

This forum does not permit the discussion of illegal acts (unless it is a discussion on the legality, etc. of such acts), but so far this topic has not stated that the torrents are being used for illegal purposes...

I don't believe the torrents themselves are illegal. Although, if I am incorrect, someone please correct me. As far as I know, torrents are not illegal simply because they are used to share files. Now, the legality of these files is the dispute. If a torrent is being used to share files without proper consent, etc., then they are illegally sharing files. However, if torrents are being used to legally share files, then there really is no issue.
Of course even though I am sure that the vast majority of torrent users are using them for illegal purposes, this does not mean the torrents themselves are illegal.

This forum does not permit the discussion of illegal acts (unless it is a discussion on the legality, etc. of such acts), but so far this topic has not stated that the torrents are being used for illegal purposes...

Exactly, torrents (AKA P2P) aren't illegal itself. What makes them illegal are the downloads of copyrighted software, movies, etc. Think of the fast all the Torrents websites would go down if they were illegal themselves for hosting torrent files, let alone if the program itself is illegal.

And by the way, if your speed is bigger than the download speed the torrent uses, you can't work that out. You have to take in mind 2 factors. The first one, some torrents limit your download speed depending the upload speed you put up. If your upload speed is too low, then it won't allow you to download at high speeds (I'm not sure if it happens with every program). The second one is that being this a P2P, the users are the one that are sharing it with you. The bigger the number of seeds the torrent has, the bigger the speed will be.

That's all; there are no hidden tricks.
Edited by Pankyy (see edit history)

Exactly, torrents (AKA P2P) aren't illegal itself. What makes them illegal are the downloads of copyrighted software, movies, etc. Think of the fast all the Torrents websites would go down if they were illegal themselves for hosting torrent files, let alone if the program itself is illegal.

That's all; there are no hidden tricks.

You're going off topic here guys! Utorrent isn't illegal itself, that's all I have to say.

Legal or not, the topic is about speeding up the transfer rates for a program, not the legality of what you use it for.

The Speed Guide in uTorrent is actually rather decent in setting preferences to allow for decent download and upload rates. However, you can further tweak it to maximize your potential... but I wouldn't recommend it too much, considering it's quite a bit of work for possibly up to a 25% increase in performance. (That's just a guess... scrutinizing your settings to allow for 5-10KBps on a download might be rather trivial, depending on your circumstances.)

As someone has already said, your download and upload rates are always capped by your available bandwidth. Also, keep in mind that here in the US, they love to advertise XX Mb, which is much, much different than XX MB. (My connection speed of a "decent" 1.5Mb is actually 192KBps, or 0.1875MBps.) So don't be mislead by that, first of all.

Now that you know what to expect for your maximum download rate, you should start with using the Speed Guide to start off with and match your bandwidth profile. Once that's done, you can read the millions of articles that Google will spit out for you about tweaking uTorrent.

However, like I said, there's more work and effort involved than payout (unless you are seriously bottlenecking yourself somewhere). So I'll leave you with a couple of things that work (because they make sense):

Enable encryption. ISPs are not going to like you utilizing their bandwidth for filesharing. So encrypt your data.

Specify a port above 10000. ISPs also like to cause havoc with P2P traffic at ports below 10000. Not sure why, but you have 55535 ports to choose from. :D

Forward that port. Open it up for P2P traffic and allow inbound and outbound connections on that port. Visit PortForward for more information.

Make your firewall exceptions. This is program dependent, but each firewall program should, by default, ask you if you want to allow uTorrent to make and receive connections.

That should net you some good speeds to begin with, assuming you are working from default settings before adding these tweaks. You can also increase or decrease torrent slots, simultaneous downloads, and whatnot, but I'll leave that up to your discretion. In my experience, the "optimization" isn't worth the pain.

Edit:

I've been reading some optimization tips by people who moderate the uTorrent forums, and one of my main complaints about uTorrent is that it kills your Internet connection. The reason behind this is that uTorrent makes so many requests through so many ports on your network that your router is flooded by these requests and therefore times out every other request on your network, which means that you can't even bring up Google on any networked PC served by that router. I was thinking about making another topic about optimizing uTorrent, but figured that I could just throw my findings in here.

╔════════════════╦═══════════╦═══════════╦══════════╗

CONNECTION TYPEUPLOADCONNECTIONSMAX ACTIVE

║(UPLOAD MAXIMUM)║Limit│Slots║ Torr│ MAX ║Torr│Down.║

╠════════════════╬═════╪═════╬═════╪═════╬════╪═════╣

║ DEFAULT ║ 20│ 3║ 30│ 40║ 2│ 1║

║ Dial-up (28.8k)║ 2│ 1║ 5│ 7║ 1│ 1║

║ Dial-up (56k) ║ 3│ 1║ 7│ 10║ 1│ 1║

║Single ISDN(64k)║ 5│ 2║ 10│ 15║ 1│ 1║

║ Dual ISDN(128k)║ 9│ 3║ 20│ 25║ 1│ 1║

║ 64 kbit/sec ║ 5│ 2║ 25│ 30║ 1│ 1║

║ 80 kbit/sec ║ 6│ 2║ 25│ 30║ 1│ 1║

║ 96 kbit/sec ║ 7│ 3║ 25│ 30║ 1│ 1║

║ 128 kbit/sec ║ 9│ 3║ 30│ 35║ 1│ 1║

║ 160 kbit/sec ║ 13│ 3║ 30│ 40║ 1│ 1║

║ 192 kbit/sec ║ 17│ 3║ 30│ 50║ 2│ 1║

║ 224 kbit/sec ║ 20│ 3║ 35│ 55║ 2│ 1║

║ 256 kbit/sec ║ 22│ 3║ 35│ 60║ 2│ 1║

║ 320 kbit/sec ║ 29│ 3║ 35│ 80║ 3│ 1║

║ 384 kbit/sec ║ 35│ 4║ 40│ 90║ 3│ 2║

║ 448 kbit/sec ║ 40│ 4║ 40│ 100║ 3│ 2║

║ 512 kbit/sec ║ 47│ 4║ 40│ 100║ 4│ 2║

║ 640 kbit/sec ║ 60│ 5║ 45│ 120║ 4│ 3║

║ 700 kbit/sec ║ 65│ 5║ 45│ 140║ 5│ 3║

║ 768 kbit/sec ║ 72│ 5║ 50│ 150║ 5│ 4║

║ 800 kbit/sec ║ 75│ 5║ 50│ 160║ 6│ 4║

║ 900 kbit/sec ║ 82│ 5║ 55│ 180║ 6│ 4║

║ 1 mbit/sec ║ 92│ 6║ 60│ 200║ 7│ 5║

║ 1.5 mbit/sec ║ 140│ 7║ 80│ 250║ 8│ 6║

║ 2 mbit/sec ║ 186│ 8║ 100│ 300║ 10│ 8║

║ 5 mbit/sec ║ 560│ 10║ 100│ 400║ 15│ 10║

║ 10 mbit/sec ║ 1120│ 20║ 100│ 500║ 20│ 15║

║ 20 mbit/sec ║ 2240│ 25║ 125│ 600║ 25│ 20║

║ 40 mbit/sec ║ 4480│ 28║ 140│ 700║ 30│ 20║

║ 50 mbit/sec ║ 5600│ 30║ 150│ 800║ 40│ 25║

║ 100 mbit/sec ║11200│ 40║ 200│ 1000║ 100│ 30║

╚════════════════╩═════╧═════╩═════╧═════╩════╧═════╝

Red = Added Speed Settings!

Caption:

Connection Type/ Upload Maximum = UPLOAD speed in kilobits/second OR megabits/second. NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DOWNLOAD SPEED MAX! A "10 megabit/sec" cable line has that speed only for download...upload speed is likely 1 megabit/sec OR LESS!

UPLOAD Limit = Max Upload Speed in KiloBYTES/second

Upload Slots = number of peers to upload to at once on EACH active Torrent.

Connections Torr = Maximum Connections allowed PER active Torrent

Connections MAX = Global Maximum Connections allowed

MAX ACTIVE Torr = Total Maximum Active Torrents (This is Downloading PLUS Seeding!)

MAX ACTIVE Down. = Total Maximum Downloading Torrents

Source

Match your connection speed with the chart above, then make your changes to your bandwidth and BitTorrent options to reflect what's on this table. To figure out your transfer rates, do a SpeedTest with nothing else accessing the bandwidth on your network. Take note of your download and upload rates, and remember that SpeedTest displays its information in kilobits (kb) by default. Make your necessary conversions as needed to kilobytes (KB). (Note that the table above is in bits.)

This will optimize your settings for uTorrent, but if you want to tweak further, I would suggest that you set your download and upload rates manually instead of letting uTorrent do these for you automatically. Take the numbers you got from your SpeedTest and multiply them by .8 (80%). Those results should be in your maximum download and upload rates. You can also disable DHT and NAT-PMP mapping, although this will affect your ability to make more connections for your torrents. However, reducing your number of connections will have you discover that you will be able to actually browse the Internet, watch movies, and do things normally with a slight affect on performance due to P2P, but not as drastic as having your Internet timing every other request out.

If you wish, you can also patch your TCPIP.sys file with LvlLord's TCPIP.sys Event ID 4226 patch. This will open up the ability for XP to make more half-open outbound connections... which Service Pack 2 addressed by crippling this capability to reduce the propogation of the spreading of malware to other machines should it happen to that host machine. (The problem with that logic is that it cripples everything else that rely on the capability of sending outbound data.) Increase the value of uTorrent's net.max.halfopen attribute under the Advanced tab as necessary, but remember not to set it too high less you chance crippling your Internet again.

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)

Lol but its not a jokei have seen utorrents with speed up to 2mbps
and mine is approx 106kbps
can any tell me how to speed up utorrents downloades

If you want to download something at 2Mbps, you need to get an Internet connection package of at least 2Mbps. When downloading from a torrent, since the file transfer is peer-to-peer, you have to find a torrent that has sufficient seeders providing the file for download.

You also have to ensure that your computer is reachable by other peers by using the port forwarding feature of your router and setting up the same port number in uTorrent.

As a final note, I'd like to mention that most speeds listed by the Internet Service Providers are in Megabits per second (Mbps), as opposed to Megabytes per second (MBps). If uTorrent displays your speed as 106kBps, then you probably have at least a 1Mbps connection.

torrents are not illegal ( only certain ones) and utorrent comes with default settings changeable by anyone, if changing these were illegal do you think they would allow the settings change?

-reply by your wrong

There are so many factors when it comes to uttorent it includes how many seeders there are, the quality of seeders etc. Make sure you set your download speed to unlimited in utorent but apart from that it really is hard to predict how good the speeds will be. If they are really low you may also have to consider that your ISP is capping the speed.

Torrents....that word sure has influenced a lot of people! They're so convenient to use but yet so confusing for first-timers. Then there's utorrent - that client for Windows which is the lightest and most easiest to use. And yet it poses a lot of questions...Ack, this tone doesn't suit me at all :lol: Anyway, first off, I'd say be careful while downloading anything though utorrent while the port is open, coz your system may be vulnerable at that time. Second, torrents work faster in operating systems other than Windows and this is something that I have experienced a lot of times. Whether or not you want to migrate to other OSes for this sole purpose is your choice, but it's recommended because you have a dual advantage - you get more speed as well as more security, because the other ones aren't so easy to break into like Windows is.