xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
harrison858

Public School Vs. Private School Vs Home Schooling. Pros and Cons

So... you dont know where to send your child, Public or Private?

Here are some pros and cons for Public and Private Schools. Please vote in the poll too.

Public School

Pros:

- Obviously this is the cheaper way.

- Your child can become more social in a different learning enviornment, and learn how to make friends.

- Your child learns right from wrong. You hardly get this in private school.

- Your child learns how to make choices.

- Your child goes into a wider variety of social classes.

Cons:

- Sometimes the child can be pressured.

- Sometimes causes stress to your child.

- Teachers are good-to-great, but some of them aren't the best.

- Your child picks bad things up very easily, if he/she has not been taught right from wrong.

Private School

Pros:

- Better learning enviornment.

- Cleaner school.

- Well-managed.

- Not too many fights.

- Better teachers.

Cons:

- Your child will sometimes learn to be social, although this is about half the chance than in public school.

- MONEY PROBLEM! for some of us at least..

- Not that many choices to make in a Private School.

- A bit less variety of social classes.

Home Schooling Pros & Cons

Both Pros and Cons:

- You teach the child.

- NO choices to make.

- NO social classes

- NO friends

- NO Life

- NO school sports

Conclusion:

HOME SCHOOLING = NO LIFE.

Private School = Good if you have the money.

Public School = I think this is better, but just watch out for annoying teachers.

Posted Image <--- Dizzy Smile

I personally was homeschooled for the first several years of my life and have been in public school for the past 5 years, and my brother has exprerienced all teh systems...I agree with some of what you say but a lot of it is not the case at all...First, I don't agree that kids learn the difference between right and wrong in public school. I don't think they SHOULD, either, I think that's something they should learn at home or earlier on, but kids who like breaking the rules definitely don't change in public school. Also, I wouldn't say kids learn how to make choices... I mean, you can, but this isn't something that is necessarily lacking at other schools. I think even in public school most of the choices are made for you.I also think kids can be pressured just as much if not more in private school as in public school. While this is definitely an overgeneralization, I actually think private school kids tend to be more jerks than public school kids. Also...the teachers...well it depends. Some are good, at least the ones who like kids and like to teach and know what they're talking about, but you can also get some very VERY bad teachers who don't care about the students at all and just want their paycheck and fat government benefits.I definitely wouldn't call a private school a better learning environment...sure, it can be, if you're the kind of person who deals well with that sort of environment, but it can oftentimes be worse if things are stricter and more regimented and you, like me, don't learn well in that sort of environment. Additionally, a lot of private schools aren't really that different from public schools at all.I think at a private school students are actually taught right from wrong MORE than at public school...the question you have to ask is "is this the right and wrong I want my kids learning?" A lot of private schools are religiously based, and therefore your kids might be exposed to a lot of religion and religious morals... I personally think this can be good, but on the other hand it's kinda indoctrination. It depends whether you think it's good or not, I guess.I agree with the comments about money and social class at private schools...they are PRICY. I personally can't see how anyone can afford to send their kids there, or even think it's worth it, unless the public school is just a MESS.For homeschooling, I think it's excellent, especially earlier in life, that the parent gets to teach the child and work with them. This is especially good for students who are either not as developed/intelligent at a young age and for those who are very developed, because in the earlier grades the normal school system kinda keeps them behind. My brother wasn't very smart as a kid, but once he started being homeschooled he picked things right up and even went above grade level. I was always really advanced, and being homeschooled through grade school allowed me to be far ahead instead of being stuck taking basically the same stuff year after year.I think in a good homeschooling environment, there are some choices for the student to make, though not as many as in public school. Kids can also get involved in community sports, and I wouldn't say there's no social life. When I was homeschooled I was involved in the local homeschool group, so I had quite a few friends and we took various classes together outside of normal homeschool to supplement our experience. I also was able to finish all my work quickly each day, and so I had a lot of time to learn about other things that interested me that I wouldn't have learned about at normal school.I personally think that homeschooling can be great, especially for younger kids, but you want them to become social too... I went into public school in the 8th grade after being homeschooled my entire life. I was able to adapt, but I think some kids might have a harder time with it, which is why it might be better to start early. Plus, at a public high school, there are lots of opportunities and classes available to students that aren't at home school, and I think this especially becomes important in later years, as well as with college admissions after high school.Anyway, to each man his own, I guess. I personally am not a fan of private schools but I think all 3 can be good systems as long as the student is motivated to be successful in them.

Cangor, I agree with you.The 3 systems are all useful, but it depends if the kid is successful and interested in what their learning about.I agree that in earlier grades, maybe like Kindergarden to 3rd or 4th grade, homeschooling will be fine. Personally, I didn't really understand anything until I got to 3rd grade. However, if you wait too long to go to Private or Public school, social abilities could be a little less easy for the kid, but that depends if they know how to 'talk' or not. If you have a kid that let's say gets shy easily, I would send him to a school so that he could possibly overcome his shyness.Nice post, Cangor :D

i must add my opinons too, for is it not the essence of a forum to voice ones opinion???

I think that it all comes down to individual basis. the individual going to school, the school, the syllabus....everything, it has to be one tight equilibrium for it to work. I have been Home schooled, i have gone to a 15'000 AUD a term private school, a 300 AUD a year public school, TAFE (Tech School), Uni (online and On Campus) and i can say that any have really suited me!! i am now studying a masters online, through a RMiT and it has to be the most comfortable so far, i set the limits, my effort is my only limit.... and i find it the most rewarding!!! but i sometimes wish that i had some Real world help...... i guess it all comes down to the individual concerned, and the stage of life they are in.

(INFANT)

i think at a young age, and when my child is born this october!!!, i will be an advocate of a structured learning program from the time they come home. if you introduce them (the children) to a program from such a young age, it sets them up for schooling later on. By structured learning, i mean taking a damn yellow block and saying yellow, blue block...etc and baby sign language....i think/know that challenging the brain so early has great benefits, as cognitive development begins very early

(TODDLER)

when they reach 2-3 years old, id seriously consider a early development learning kinder/school, as by this age it is likely that a professional is better suited to structuring a program for your child, these people learn about educating toddlers...i figure they know what blocks to show them and when!!! HA!!

(YOUNG CHILD)

when your child reaches 4-5 years old is when the diffucult choice comes, public/private/or home school??? well, i cannot give advice, but just be attentive to your childs needs....are they sciencey/nerdy and require a PhD level scientist to teach them biology....well my guess is private or a REALLY good public..... are they unsure of who they are??? the public, a rich plethora of individuals, will help your child discover themselves...... or homeschool. as long as you meet truancy laws, then there is no right or wrong with how you educate your child, just as long as you do!! the most important thing, i believe is just giving them the best opportunity you can afford to give them!!!!

joshua

I would prefer home tutoring, 1) I have all my computers, 2) I dont have to go anywhere, 3) I always have a fridge full of junk food and coke :D.

I have to disgaree with the statement that there's no life with home schooling. I was home schooled, and I had and have a life. There are a lot of choices to make when it comes to home schooling. No, there generally isn't a lot of socialization going on in the home while the child is being schooled, but that doesn't mean that child can't participate in community activities. Most cities/states have public activities available (dances, sports, youth centers). Studies have proven that children that are home schooled vs those in public schools are a lot more intelligent. Personally, I feel home schooling is a great choice if the parent has the time and means to teach the child or can hire someone to do it for them.

I was homeschooled on secondary education because I am having too much social life. lolBut yes, it kinda gets boring you have less friends compared to, when you are in school.But for very young age, homeschooling is the way to go chances are they'll be picking up lots of bad stuff at very early age.

So... you dont know where to send your child, Public or Private?

Here are some pros and cons for Public and Private Schools. Please vote in the poll too.

Public School

Pros:

- Obviously this is the cheaper way.

- Your child can become more social in a different learning enviornment, and learn how to make friends.

- Your child learns right from wrong. You hardly get this in private school.

- Your child learns how to make choices.

- Your child goes into a wider variety of social classes.

Cons:

- Sometimes the child can be pressured.

- Sometimes causes stress to your child.

- Teachers are good-to-great, but some of them aren't the best.

- Your child picks bad things up very easily, if he/she has not been taught right from wrong.

Private School

Pros:

- Better learning enviornment.

- Cleaner school.

- Well-managed.

- Not too many fights.

- Better teachers.

Cons:

- Your child will sometimes learn to be social, although this is about half the chance than in public school.

- MONEY PROBLEM! for some of us at least..

- Not that many choices to make in a Private School.

- A bit less variety of social classes.

Home Schooling Pros & Cons

Both Pros and Cons:

- You teach the child.

- NO choices to make.

- NO social classes

- NO friends

- NO Life

- NO school sports

Conclusion:

HOME SCHOOLING = NO LIFE.

Private School = Good if you have the money.

Public School = I think this is better, but just watch out for annoying teachers.

;) <--- Dizzy Smile

Thats highly true what i find in your pros and cons; but i didnt understand : "HOME SCHOOLING = NO LIFE"; I dont agree with this. Who else can be a better guide/teacher than our own parents? Infact its only our parents who are our 1st teachers (atleast this holds good 99% and the rest 1% for those who belong to orpanage in which case elders who take care of them will be their teachers).

In my opinion Public schools, private schools or home schooling nothing is important. The only thing which is of great importance ?is the student. His thinking, his concentration power, his will all these things accounts. For example, you can take the example of me I have taken no extra tuitions or coaching and completed my class XII. I was forced to go to school otherwise I wouldn't have gone to school in my life. So I think a true student can learn ?from anywhere, for him where he is studying does not matters. Thats all I have to say.?

In Honduras the private school is superior to the public. This is because the strikes in the public school are a big obstacle to the rigth development of public school. I am in the public university where the public is much better than private but these papers will change in some years apparently.But how the olds said: "Nobody give the real value to the free things"

I've tried all 3 methods of schooling In private school the best part is that the school generally have better facilities and the teachers in my opinion are better since they do get paid a little bit more in private school than in a public one. In terms of ever all education they are both the same since they follow the same curriculum.In public school there are a lot of social classes that's probably the pro's since you get to meet all sorts of folks and you can really get your own personality. and another pro's is that you don't need to wear any uniform. In home schooling well I did get a personal tutor not like my folks have the time to teach me, any way its a little boring since you don't get to socialize with other kids to often and for my the quality of education i receive from this system isn't good, since as I've said its insanely boring.Any way this is only my opinion base on personal experiences my recommendation go to a private school if you have the opportunity to go to one It gives the best education you also get the best contacts "very useful later on in life" and remember its not always what you know but who you know

I graduated in a private school though its quite pressured I learned a lot and owe my knowledge and skills with all the good professors there.

I think the three choices vary by country, because let?s say in the USA are a lot of good public schools, where the learning environment is good and the social environment is good as well, so you are not going to have the fear that you are exposing your kids too much to unhealthy things, but even if the nearest public school is reallyyy bad but you have your send your kids there because you don?t have the money or the time to send them to another school, then is your responsibility and I agree with everyone that said values and morals and the difference between right or wrong is supposed to be teach at home, I believe this is something you don?t want others to teach them because probably you are not going to agree with everything so better do it yourself. In my country there are also public schools but the difference between these schools and private is that public schools are supposed to be for underprivileged people so let?s say that there are a lot of good kids in there but most of them come from bad families, so the environment for your kids is probably not going to be he best, also the security around these schools is not the best either, so for a person that have the opportunity to decide where to send it?s children to school in my country this probably be the last choice.Home schooling, mm I have mix feelings about it, because I disagree when people says who better to teach you than your own parents, but if your parents are not prepared to be teachers, don?t have a degree in teaching, then how can be them better than an official tutor?, they have previous preparation to make the kids learn in a better way, have learned these techniques trough years of experience, so I would rather have parents playing with their kids and an actual tutor teaching them, even if it?s at home. I don?t agree with home schooling being bad at all, I just don?t think is for all the kids, but it is a positive experience in life because you have as a parent or a tutor home schooling a kid, the opportunity to develop this kids abilities to the max, because you can focus on the subjects that the kid is better at, because let?s be real not every kid is going to be a scientific, some of us were good at arts in school and suck in math, but since a lot of people send their kids to regular schools, you don?t get the chance to actually see your child?s abilities being develop to the fullest. I also don?t agree with Home schooling = no social life, because there is more to a child life than school, there are also a lot of extra-curriculum activities that kids can do and make friends, it can ballet or karate, soccer who knows tons of things when kids learn to be social with other people and kids their own age.In my country home schooling is not very common since most parents does not have the time to take this huge responsibility. As last but not least are Private schools. In a lot of countries private schools are practicably for rich people, and they are, because the prizes are enormous so this assure that your kids are going to be surrounded by people with the same social characteristics than them, which is great because you will know in what kind of environment your kid is developing and learning, but with these schools I think you also as a parent have to be careful, because even if the money is not an issue then other bad situations could appear, so is your responsibility as I said before to teach your kids right or wrong and to apply it in all situations no matter where they are. I don?t think kids in private schools become jerks, there are some, like everywhere, but there are good kids as well. In my country if you have the money you can go to a private school as well, there are a lot of different private schools, cheap, regular and expensive and that will chance the people you are going to be surrounded with. I have a funny story about this, my little cousin is going to a really expensive private school and I went to visit him once and saw a list with a lot of names in it, so I asked my aunt what was that and she told me, "ahh is the list of all the classmates and the parents classmates of your cousin" and I was like WTH?? in that list where all of the names, addresses, company addresses and phone numbers :S, like saying your kid is not going to school with any kid, just the best in town, but at the same time I though with that kind of prize they better be.I personally went to a private school, and I?m not a jerk or a snob, we even had to do a mandatory social community service a couple hours every weekend, so students realize that there is more people around them that have needs and as privilege people that were born in a nice home with nice amenities we can help and do something to make other people life better. Is just a luck thing, like if you were born in a nice home you could also born in a poor family so we always have to be thankful of what we have and always give back, and I believe a lot of private schools focus on that since they don?t want their kids to be like blindfolded on what they have, because that is not real life, you could lose everything in one minute, so they have to educate social conscious kids, so they can treat every human being properly.Also no matter where education system you chose for your child, the most important thing to remember is that education starts at home and it?s always going to be your primary responsibility as a parent to teach your kid what you think is better for them.

hmm first of all i should say i do not agree with the home schooling for some reasons, first in home schooling the kid will not have the chance to be with other ones so he will not be able to feel the pain when get hit from another kid or the fun when play with them, he will be alone in his days and he will not be able to laugh to teacher with others when he do something weird. being with other peoples is very important for a kid and during this communication with other kids he will learn many things that no teacher is able to teach him in home, another reason is the environment of a school, in school you have to be there in time and you can not come out of it until the time comes, but in home the teacher comes for you so you can cancel it everytime you want or tell hime to come whenever you like, also in school you have to do some regular things like dressing style, the behavior in front of teacher, style of sitting and many other things that you don't have to do when you are learning in home, so these type of things make the kid weaker when it faces real world after finishing his home school, when he goes to work, he don't know how he should behave to his boss and these things can cause him serious problems, so i completely disagree with home learning and i think this type of learning will not make your kid a perfect person.but about public and private school, i have to say i prefer a kid to go to a good private school rather than a public one and i have some reasons for that but my reasons are only in conditions where the public school is not a good one, i can't see any good public school around me but of course you can find them around the world. first thing i have to say is that some kids are just doing many illegal activities in public school, like drinking alcohol or using drugs, these things are really dangerous even if your kid is the best one, just imagine an environment where many kids are using drugs then if you really can't keep yourself away from it because the kids will force you even if your kid be the powerful one too. another reason is the teachers, most teachers in these type of schools think all of the kids in the school are same, so they will behave just like all of them are doing illegal activities and this behavior really can destroy your kid's character. another reason is the absence of any encouragement in these schools, your kid will not be rewarded for being the number one in his class or being number one in one type of sport contests, so this will not encourage him for keeping his way of doing good works and soon he will try to be just like others in that school.I don't say all private schools are good either, i know many private schools which only care about money and not the kids, these type of private schools are even worse than those public schools i said before, because if some parents have a really bad kid but they can get him into the school by paying more money to the manager, but there are some good private ones too, i talk about those who take an exam for letting your kid to go in it, these schools are using your money in a good way, they get kids with high scores and so their environment is completely different, all kids are same and i can say most of them are good ones, so if there are even some bad ones too because they are lesser than good ones they can't affect the behavior of your kids. i have seen better university acceptance in the persons come from these type of schools rather than those who come out from public ones (there is not a small difference, the difference is huge). there are some public schools too which are great but they usually are very rare and very hard to get in because of very hard entrance exams, but if you do not want to pay then encourage your kid to do his best for getting required score in their entrance exam.