xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cangor

Life Seems To Be A Repeating Cycle and its kinda depressing.

I was just talking with a friend about this...but basically, we're seniors in high school, getting ready to go off to college and all, and while everything I'm doing seems to be more or less okay, it just seems like we as humans tend to get stuck in cycles oh habits where we kinda just become comfortable with mediocrity...I guess this requires a bit more explanation...The example my friend brought up was how she feels like she needs romance just for the affirmation, but it never happens so she kinda just becomes apathetic about it and content with whatever things turn out to be. I agree with that, but a way I see it is in motivation/organization/job and life skills... Most people would consider me to be incredibly intelligent, driven, and responsible, but I continually fail in all three of these areas in the same ways, and they should be things I can change, but for some reason I am unable to. People just seem to be week and constantly tend towards a lower energy state... and it's depressing that we're lazy like that. We sell ourselves short by not doing what we could and realizing our full potential. I think the past year I've stopped caring as much about everything, because it never turns out the way I want it to so similarly to my friend I just stop expecting anything, and while I think in a sense this makes life easier to life it is at the same time bad because you become comfortable with things not being your way, and you stop striving for what you could have, even if things don't work out every time for you.And instead we get stuck in these cycles where the same bad things end up happening to us time after time and we slowly degrade...and it's really hard to break out of it.Anybody else know what I mean? :D

Yep, I know exactly what you mean and how you feel.Unfortunately its a very sad cycle, and I think one of the major reasons for it is the monotonous routine this world revolves around: go to school, get a job, retire, die.There is really a hell of a lot more to life than that. We have to take steps in our own lives to not get trapped in that routine. This isn't saying you can't go to school and get a great job, but at the same time, don't let that reality define who and what you are. Don't just let the routine make you into something. Make yourself into something and strive for more than what everyone wants of you, and strive for more than the routine offers.

If you don't believe you can achieve anything then you will achieve nothing. I have to just say that because that's what I think is holding all of us back. We as humans have so much potential but we are unable to utilize it because we have not been learning at our full capacity. We are not efficient enough and too divided in our own personal goals to really progress as earthlings. The word is connected but yet we do not have a standard level of living for everyone. We still have many problems like war and poverty. This affects us all in some way some how. I don't think I have a simple answer for you about life but I know its because we our should I say have been living in a imperfect world in the first place. You may think you have a bad problem but if you consider what the world is like or could be like and compare that to your own problems its nothing. I do understand your feelings as I have felt like that in the past growing up and feeling like nothing is working for you and you aren't getting anywhere. The only advice I can think of that has worked for me is this. Don't make any excuses for why things aren't working out for you. Nothing is going to be handed to you so just don't expect it. When things do work out you will be amazed. You have to work hard and remember that nothing in life comes easy. You cant be the best in everything but that doesn't mean you cant be the best in something. You have to find something that means a lot to you for you to stay focus and do it. Something you love really. Learn as much about life as you can and how the world works around us. This may even open up your eyes to things you have never imagined. You are still young so don't expect to learn everything or know it all.

The solution is somewhat simple; the observable problem deals with what seems to be clinging on to what is capable of failing, which in turn does for many or most people (though i'm inclined to say for more). This clinging on tends to involve self-clinging if you will—or at least that is where it starts. Why do we cling on to ourselves first? It's the first thing we feel that we can trust, for the logic behind it appears to be, though perhaps subtle: if you can't trust yourself, who can you trust? So what follows for such an act? As already mentioned, expectations follow; that is, you feel you are capable of making good judgments about anything—because you trust yourself—and therefore you start making judgments. This form of judgment, perhaps in a sneaky way, starts placing trust in other things—things that most likely do not share your interests. Since these other things are either inanimate and or unconscious, or conscious; whether they are inanimate or unconscious, it obviously doesn't share your interest, and is perhaps there just to keep you distracted for the time being until perhaps you get bored of it. Here's the dangerous cycle of getting bored with it: you seek other things which would keep you distracted longer. After serving its "purpose," you seek more things that could distract you even longer. Obviously no material can provide the kind of "security" that lasts forever. So you keep piling up junk until you die—or at least that's the case with many people.Then there is trusting in conscious things like yourself (i.e. other humans, or animals—conscious and physical things), that may or may not share your interest. (The question of whether or not your interests should be supported i'll leave alone and assume that there is nothing wrong with your interests.) If they share your interests, then you're in luck. If they don't, then you may find yourself either searching for those that do or you might "fight" for yourself, that is, seeking to somehow convince the person that it's okay and that they should follow. This form of "fighting for one's self" can be found when someone falls in love with another person: it's called "trying to impress." If you fail to impress and they reject you, another dangerous cycle may occur, some people even ending their lives due to it. But if they're interested, then you're in luck. However, that may be just one field of interest; that is, the other person obviously has other interests they seek to reach. So there's conflict of interests; however, i wouldn't limit conflict of interests here to your interests or another person's interests conflicting with your interests or theirs, for you yourself may have conflict of interests within yourself. Since such a thing is basically unavoidable due to how many things the world has to offer to people, you find disappointment due to perhaps the excitement that came from finding something that is interested in what you're interested in. This may deep down be a way of satisfying the ego, in the sense that if they care about your interest(s), then on at least some level they care about you. And i think that's what it may all come down to, the hidden agenda: seeking something that cares about you, preferably something that won't fail you.So the question becomes: what is conscious and can't fail and cares about me, offering purpose and self-worth?

And i think that's what it may all come down to, the hidden agenda: seeking something that cares about you, preferably something that won't fail you.
So the question becomes: what is conscious and can't fail and cares about me, offering purpose and self-worth?

I think the answer here is... Yourself.
Think about it, if you can go into a downward spiral because of your own mind, then the reverse is true.
Positive mental habits are a good start, personally I am thinking about exploring meditation to try and have more control over myself.
This is probably because I am a athiest/skeptic by nature, but I don't believe in a higher power that cares in me particularly.
But I trust myself to provide the drive to get out of any situation, and if I don't, I probably don't deserve to get out of that situation!

So your problems are with motivation/organisation/job and life skills?
Believe me, there are faar worse problems to have.
Where would you like to start solving them?

It's what we are taught to do.To repeatedly do things in mundane cycles.To be completely predictable and programmed so we don't have to think.To become just another demographic.There is an answer though!Revolution now!Only joking about that.The answer is in just trying to be an individual amongst the faceless masses.To not be just one of the sheep.To carve one's own destiny.Easier said than done.

I think the answer here is... Yourself.Think about it, if you can go into a downward spiral because of your own mind, then the reverse is true.
Positive mental habits are a good start, personally I am thinking about exploring meditation to try and have more control over myself.
This is probably because I am a athiest/skeptic by nature, but I don't believe in a higher power that cares in me particularly.
But I trust myself to provide the drive to get out of any situation, and if I don't, I probably don't deserve to get out of that situation!

Requesting that i think about a matter you might find to be undesirable. For one, what you think to be the answer contradicts what follows. By seeking meditation, it is not you who tries (emphasis on "tries") to control you, it is the meditation. This goes against your skepticism except if you already tried meditation; however, it is obvious you haven't, since you are thinking about exploring meditation. It also somewhat goes against your atheism, since you are placing your trust and faith in a metaphysical thing. Then we're to the part where you apparently don't deserve relief from a situation, as it implies a (metaphysical) force that is greater than you that is preventing you from obtaining peace.

But to put things back into context from my original statement, the problem was due to placing trust in things that fail or have the ability to fail. I do not believe that anyone one in the current population is capable of representing themselves well. The argument is often given that we are not perfect beings—however, that's my point. That mere fact should be more than the deciding factor on what to place your trust in. Logic will always argue for both sides of a matter, therefore decision making is most often faith-based. When experience enters into the picture, logic kicks in more than faith, especially if the experience concerned something that failed. I don't think the majority of the people on earth is going to deny that there is more trouble in the world than peace. Interestingly enough, this trouble is due to materialism, the love for physical things, usually always involving money (whether they have it or not).

And now we're back to placing trust in physical things, which i've already discussed in my previous post.

So your problems are with motivation/organisation/job and life skills?Believe me, there are faar worse problems to have.
Where would you like to start solving them?

(I believe it's obvious to some extent that "you" here is plural.) The question (i.e. the second one in the quote) is an interesting one as it merely asks about desires, not providing a solution to any situation. Depending on the situation, asking the question may provoke (further) depression or wishful thinking. However, wishful thinking implies that hope is involved. Here's the thing about hope: it's tied together with love and faith. If one of them fails, it takes down the others. When in such a state, the person is most likely incapable of exiting the state without outside interference, therefore trusting anything you may find to be dangerous, as you've already placed trust in the very things that failed you. So the situation becomes somewhat circular, perhaps subconsciously asking, "What can i place my trust in?" Since this obviously implies uncertainty, the decision making process is disturbed. However, the key point that should be emphasized in troubling situations is: Trust in that which cannot fail.

Requesting that i think about a matter you might find to be undesirable. For one, what you think to be the answer contradicts what follows. By seeking meditation, it is not you who tries (emphasis on "tries") to control you, it is the meditation. This goes against your skepticism except if you already tried meditation; however, it is obvious you haven't, since you are thinking about exploring meditation. It also somewhat goes against your atheism, since you are placing your trust and faith in a metaphysical thing. Then we're to the part where you apparently don't deserve relief from a situation, as it implies a (metaphysical) force that is greater than you that is preventing you from obtaining peace.

While generally I don't enter into these debates on the general principle that faith is a funny thing, and no amount of logical debate will really sway either one of us, I am interested in your assertion that meditation has to be 'placing my trust in a metaphysical thing'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation
I don't see meditation as placing trust in a metaphysical thing, I see it as a skill like swimming or riding a bike, a way to mentally disciplin myself into gaining greater focus and control over my body and mind. Most people live on the very surface of what they are capable of, there is no doubt about that. But to ask me to believe that a greater force is preventing me from obtaining peace is (to me, i'm not trying to be rude) absurd. It is MY life, and even if an individuals context is myriad, success or failiure is part chance and part that individuals choices. Statistically you can fail a coin toss ten times in a row, such is life, it doesn't mean that a metaphysical being is manipulating the results of that coin toss. Similarly just because you have failed so far does not necessarily mean you will fail the next time, unless of course you are doing something drastically wrong and you don't see it.

If we were to get into my personal beliefs, I would lean towards bhuddism, my implicit beliefs (that is, the ones that I don't normally think about but on some level hold to be true, if only in a whimsical sense) resonated strongly when I read books containing bhuddism themeology. Ultimately though, I cannot believe that in a multiverse as large and complex as ours there is a reason to alter an individuals life towards some undefined (by us) end. I believe life is a mystery, I believe in fractals and patterns that repeat themselves across existance from the scale of galaxies to the scales of the tiniest insect. I do not believe that these things were created in seven days, but I might believe in some 'force of complexity' of chaos, if you will. Much as there is a force of gravity there is a reason (chaos?) that these patterns exist, and much as I hate to stick my neck out humans are living on the tiniest speck of a speck of a speck, to believe that we are important to anyone anywhere but ourselves except MAYBE as some kind of potential force of change in millions of years seems to me to be... Well, very human of us.

But to put things back into context from my original statement, the problem was due to placing trust in things that fail or have the ability to fail. I do not believe that anyone one in the current population is capable of representing themselves well. The argument is often given that we are not perfect beingshowever, that's my point. That mere fact should be more than the deciding factor on what to place your trust in. Logic will always argue for both sides of a matter, therefore decision making is most often faith-based. When experience enters into the picture, logic kicks in more than faith, especially if the experience concerned something that failed. I don't think the majority of the people on earth is going to deny that there is more trouble in the world than peace. Interestingly enough, this trouble is due to materialism, the love for physical things, usually always involving money (whether they have it or not).
And now we're back to placing trust in physical things, which i've already discussed in my previous post.

The trouble, as you put it, is due to humanity. We evolved (yes, evolved) in times where our entire existance consisted of around 50 people. For thousands and thousands and thousands of years we evolved to have adrenalin when there was going to be a fight, to have sex when there was an opportunity and to kill so that there was food tomorrow. We have moved faster than our evolution can take and that is not good. There is no reason to feel anger behind the wheel of a car, there is no reason to hate your boss. We are so far removed now from what made us what we are that I don't know if we will ever evolve to be perfectly suited to our changing situations. We are not living on instinct backed up by hundreds of generations anymore, we are living on conscious thought backed up on the thoughts and actions of ourselves and others. We are almost entirely culture. Although, I suspect a perfect creature to deal with the modern world would seem as insubstantial to us as a story on the cover of the Morning Sun.

To break from materialism, to become spiritual or at least to rely on something other than culture for our wellbeing IS possible, but it is also difficult, un appealing to most and therefore quite rare. For absolutely everyone (from monks to the biggest most materialistic bully you know) to stop living the way we are now would require the next generation to essentially grow up in the literal ruins of this one. And not only that, it would require the new generation to not be curious, to not want to create physical things to improve quality of life, to not (by the definition of humans as having imagination) be human.

(I believe it's obvious to some extent that "you" here is plural.) The question (i.e. the second one in the quote) is an interesting one as it merely asks about desires, not providing a solution to any situation. Depending on the situation, asking the question may provoke (further) depression or wishful thinking. However, wishful thinking implies that hope is involved. Here's the thing about hope: it's tied together with love and faith. If one of them fails, it takes down the others. When in such a state, the person is most likely incapable of exiting the state without outside interference, therefore trusting anything you may find to be dangerous, as you've already placed trust in the very things that failed you. So the situation becomes somewhat circular, perhaps subconsciously asking, "What can i place my trust in?" Since this obviously implies uncertainty, the decision making process is disturbed. However, the key point that should be emphasized in troubling situations is: Trust in that which cannot fail.

Desires are driving forces in the world. Would you tell someone you loved them if you did not desire them? In the same way would you attempt to get a promotion if you did not desire that which came with it? Would you place your trust in a metaphysical being if you did not desire the feeling of security that came with it?
Desires are a start. Not the only one but certainly one of them. We are humans, while cold calculating logic can provide a solution to most things, it does not provide the urge to pursue them. Hope is an optimistic reading of the future, you need a kind of faith because otherwise you would believe your desire is ultimately for naught. Love is related in a way but if you cannot achieve what you want in that respect right now then focus on something you can change.

Personally I place some faith in the concept that everything is going to be okay, because it keeps a good mindset. If i'm right, great.
If i'm wrong, It doesnt matter because I have done my best and in any case I only find out at the end.
I'm not asking anyone to change their views, I am simply saying that we are all human, and until we understand that being (gritty, emotional, real, creative and most of all amazing) humans is not what society and culture wants us to be, there will be no way for us to combine the two to the very center of who we are.
And lastly, I place my faith ultimately in myself because I truly believe that faith in yourself is the ultimate driving force behind being successful. Learn to love and accept yourself for who you are then you will have the understanding to learn to love and accept others. I'm still working on that bit but lets just say I'm happier now than I have been in the past :D

I don't see meditation as placing trust in a metaphysical thing, I see it as a skill like swimming or riding a bike, a way to mentally disciplin myself into gaining greater focus and control over my body and mind.

Meditation concerns the conscious, the conscious is metaphysical, therefore meditation is metaphysical. You place your trust in it by believing that such a "process" or, as you put it, "skill" ("skill" implies something that needs to be obtained as if you don't already have it) will actually help you control yourself, which by stating "help control myself" implies, again, that meditation is separate of yourself.

But to ask me to believe that a greater force is preventing me from obtaining peace is (to me, i'm not trying to be rude) absurd. It is MY life, and even if an individuals context is myriad, success or failiure is part chance and part that individuals choices. Statistically you can fail a coin toss ten times in a row, such is life, it doesn't mean that a metaphysical being is manipulating the results of that coin toss. Similarly just because you have failed so far does not necessarily mean you will fail the next time, unless of course you are doing something drastically wrong and you don't see it.

It is your life; however, i don't believe you would disagree with me when i say that if you were to attempt to unjustly cause harm to another conscious being, that you should be allowed to do so. Therefore, though being your life, limitations are to be enforced for the safety of others—whether you want there to be limitations or not. Also, concerning the coin toss: although it does not necessarily mean that there is a (conscious) force deciding on what side the coin lands, it also doesn't mean that there isn't one.

... and much as I hate to stick my neck out humans are living on the tiniest speck of a speck of a speck, to believe that we are important to anyone anywhere but ourselves except MAYBE as some kind of potential force of change in millions of years seems to me to be... Well, very human of us.

That doesn't mean there isn't one.

We are not living on instinct backed up by hundreds of generations anymore, we are living on conscious thought backed up on the thoughts and actions of ourselves and others. We are almost entirely culture. Although, I suspect a perfect creature to deal with the modern world would seem as insubstantial to us as a story on the cover of the Morning Sun.

I don't see any difference between "instincts" and "conscious thoughts and actions," as instinct is within itself a conscious thought that normally brings forth action. We have the ability to control instincts. Instincts, as i see it, is for one just a "constant reminder" of perhaps what needs to be done. For example, seeking for food, mating, to seek life, etc. It is also a thought process that occurs almost instantly but with undesirable consequences, like cursing in anger—the words are ready to be used. This is no different to what is already occurring.

For absolutely everyone (from monks to the biggest most materialistic bully you know) to stop living the way we are now would require the next generation to essentially grow up in the literal ruins of this one. And not only that, it would require the new generation to not be curious, to not want to create physical things to improve quality of life, to not (by the definition of humans as having imagination) be human.

It can happen in this generation too, and without requiring to stop being human. For even if we stopped being human, it does not follow that anything foolish we commit will end. Otherwise, we would be able to say of such about the rest of the animal kingdom. However, if the majority is the majority, then it would require a force larger than the majority to bring about a change.

Desires are driving forces in the world. Would you tell someone you loved them if you did not desire them? In the same way would you attempt to get a promotion if you did not desire that which came with it?

All of which deal with faith, love and hope. Likewise, if the person that you expressed your love to turns you down, those three things (i.e. faith, love and hope) would all collapse. And it can be said it was due to placing those three things upon something that fails or can fail. However, thanks to the way humans are, i can very much answer all these questions with a yes. Why? Because people like to joke around. :D

Would you place your trust in a metaphysical being if you did not desire the feeling of security that came with it?

I popped this one out of its context as it appears that "you" is no longer plural (though i could be wrong). To address the rhetorical question, i did not come into my faith because i sought security, i came to believe because i sought answers and found them. So it is very possible to trust in a metaphysical (supreme) being without desiring the feeling of security. If there is any feeling of security, it would be a side effect, mostly due to accepting the metaphysical being's existence because of logic and reasoning.