xisto Community
RJM

Learning The Code. What order is best to learn?

I've been doing print graphics professionally on and off for years, but now I'd like to become proficient at putting together web designs.So what order should I look into learning web design? Clearly I start with HTML. Then what should I expand to? AS3? Java?Please describe why, and what the code enables a site to do.I'm thinking starting with HTML which I know the basics of anyway, then Flash. After that, I'm not sure which way to go.

Learning Flash implies learning ActionScript 3, both of which requires a lot of time to learn if you're new to web design. The languages mentioned imply that you mostly want a good looking site, not necessarily a site that works with or makes use of the server other than to retrieve files. Whatever the case, if you want to speed up the learning process concerning medium to high level languages, you should consider learning the fundamentals of programming. But after learning HTML, you shouldn't go straight to Flash, you should then move onto CSS.

Yeah I'll be doing my own site first, which will be mostly displaying my work and browsing through images. No uploading or anything. I'm a little familiar with CSS. Anything else I should touch on before actionscript?

Actionscript is only useful within Flash, but its syntax and style is pretty much identical to JavaScript. Take a look at learning some JavaScript. This will work well as you try to learn Actionscript as well, especially if you are new to programming.If you generally just want to design something good looking then take a look at one of the many JavaScript libraries like jQuery and script.aculo.us which allow you to add some nice JavaScript functionality to your sites very easily.Like there are rules for print design about accessibility and compatibility, the same applies to the web. For example, in print design you need to make sure colours contrast enough that people can actually read them (especially people who are colourblind or have poor eyesight). The same applies to the web - there are guidelines and standards you should follow if you want your website to work across as many PCs as possible and can be seen by as many people as possible.

You could touch some javascript, to know how things work with javascript on a website, learning DOM and etc. Just start with some tutorial, know the basics, you could easily then use jQuery and all the plugins written for this javascript framework. :D Of course, if you'll need it.

I would say that you want to learn your languages in the following order HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP (Optional), Java, ActionScript. Although HTML and CSS are the easiest to learn you need to build a good grasp on JavaScript, PHP and Java and that way once you tackle ActionScript it should be easy to learn. Of course, you could just skip PHP and ASP and Java all together and just tackle ActionScript but it helps if you know at least one of those languages to learn structure, variables, strings and operators and what not.

As rvalkass said, ActionScript is extremely similar to JavaScript (as they are both based off ECMAScript), so knowing one would make the other very easy to learn (well knowing one programming language makes learning any other easy anyways). Using Flash in a web-page is not essential, and a portion of users will not have the necessary Flash Player installed (you can see the penetration statistics from the Adobe website). SM has the order of languages to learn quite well done - I would go with HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, then AS if you want to (make sure to learn AS3 instead of AS2, as it is significantly faster and matches the speed of Java (this doesn't really matter unless you're going to be doing something CPU-intensive like a complex real-time game)).

Basically, JS and AS allows you to make web-pages more interactive, you can have a trail of dots appear when you move you mouse if you wanted to (but the user would get annoyed by it), or a comment form appear when you click a button (look at the Fast Reply button at the bottom of a thread here). Using Flash would be for more graphical oriented interactions. PHP is for server-side code, allowing for things such as forums (all these posts are stored on the database which is accessed via PHP).

Basically I'm going to give myself a crash course and start designing the web page and learn from mistakes. It will be graphic intense because that's what I do.So what does JavaScript allow me to do? That way I can keep it in mind as I put together the page.

JavaScript allows you to access and manipulate objects in your HTML document. Basically you have access to the Document Object Model in HTML (HTML DOM). With this it gives you control to dynamically change objects in the clients browser after the page is full loaded. This gives you more control and enables you to respond to users interaction with your web page.

I would say that you want to learn your languages in the following order HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP (Optional), Java, ActionScript. Although HTML and CSS are the easiest to learn you need to build a good grasp on JavaScript, PHP and Java and that way once you tackle ActionScript it should be easy to learn. Of course, you could just skip PHP and ASP and Java all together and just tackle ActionScript but it helps if you know at least one of those languages to learn structure, variables, strings and operators and what not.

Scary but I agree with S_M here. I too have been monkeying around with designing for years. But learning in a order is the right thing to do. Why because they all tie into one another I have noticed. Only differnce I would have changed in the order would be HTML, CSS, PHP,JAVA, ASP. Of course I am still learning. This is something that is on going due to the changes in styles that come about so offen

hey there heres what i reccomend the order you should go in for web designing:

html

css(afterall you are complying to web designing.)

javascript

php(after you expiremented with html and java)

i reccomened php because php includes help managibility easy for first time web designers because one file will hold your header ,body and style or whatever you want so it is easy to switch from layout to layout. :D

Basically I'm going to give myself a crash course and start designing the web page and learn from mistakes. It will be graphic intense because that's what I do.

A good idea. As you go, post your designs up here on Xisto so we can give you help, pointers and advice on how you're doing. Learning from your mistakes is good, but one warning: don't get frustrated with it :D You'll often find weird little bugs that mean your site doesn't quite appear how you want it to. Don't get frustrated with them, but calmly look for a solution or ask for help - otherwise, you will rapidly get annoyed and give up with it.

So what does JavaScript allow me to do? That way I can keep it in mind as I put together the page.

It allows you to manipulate the elements on the page, changing your static HTML into something that can change depending on user actions, variables or anything else. For example, you can use it to dynamically change the styles of a page depending on the time of day. You can also use it to move elements around on the page, giving you access to animations for things like menus, or anything else you can think of. It can be used for dynamically checking data in a form to make sure it is OK before submitting it. There are millions of uses for it, and you'll find plenty of examples all over the web of the sorts of uses people have put it to.

So what does JavaScript allow me to do?

To add what has already been said to this question, since you seem to be planning on diving into Flash, there's one thing you should know about it: if JavaScript is disabled, the Flash movie won't work; likewise if plug-ins are disabled. This is the trouble with client-side scripting: the user normally has the option to disable features of their browser concerning websites, especially concerning Opera. Cross-browser compatibility is a goal that web designers try to reach. You have to know how to provide a warning to the visitor with these features off on their browser (which some websites fail to do). But it's not hard, it deals with placing the warning within the content of the element. For example, if JavaScript is disabled:
<noscript>This site requires JavaScript in order to function properly. Please enable JavaScript.</noscript>

If frames are disabled:

<iframe>Your browser doesn't seem to have iframe support, please either enable frames support or switch to a browser that does support frames.</iframe>

etc...

I have been doing some programming in PHP because i just launched a site that uses phpbb so i feel it will help me customise the defaults easily!Its actually been fun...started on a low note but i am making it a point to be occupied every minute!Good luck to you!

Thanks to all of you.

I started it, and buried myself in HTML today. I think I got it down to a point where I can start working with CSS. HTML seems pretty limited already. I've been using w3schools.com

Before I know it I'll be making applications! Posted Image

Edited by RJM (see edit history)