xisto Community
estelleonline

Various Interesting Facts About The Universe

A while back i learned and memorized the speed of light. 300,000,000 m/s. I also learned that it is MATHEMATICALLY proven that if you can travel faster than this, time sort of stops. So in theory I guess you could say time travel is possible as long as you can travel this quickly. Except it would be different from what science fiction tells us it is. It would just be getting from point a to point b (like in traffic) at the same time you left, not like changing events or something.I also learned the universe supposedly expands a few billion miles or something every hourDrugs and prostitution is legal in amsterdam... wtf?There are lizards that live in the desert that quirt blood up to 5ft out of their eyes as a defense mechanismIt actually IS possible to lick your elbow. You just have to be rediculously flexible. Try doing it every day and eventually you will be able to stretch far enough to do it. Its kinda like putting your legs behind your neck... I know this because i saw my friend lick his elbow.You know that song called lithium by evanescence? Well she got that song off mozart! She just added words to it and used guitars instead of the classical instruments.There are monkeys that can type on keyboards and talk to their trainers. They think like us. One of them got mad at the trainer and told him to go away because they were mad. They also "invented" a form of swearing among themselves. quite interesting.A mad scientist cut the head off a dog and attached it to stuff. The head lived fully functioning (drooling at the smeel of food, breathing, etc) for 2 daysThere are computers made to write poetry but it isnt very goodThere are brain damaged people that cant read or understand what you are saying but they can write fluently. They just cant read it back when they finish. And they wouldnt be able to tell you what they wrote but it could be the most brilliant paper ever. They just wouldnt know.

Wow some very nice and interesting facts there, Talking about facts on my chocolate bar it has "Woweee Fact! A butterfly has 12,000 eyes" I didn't know that but do now :DAnd on the other chocolate bar is has "Wowee Fact! Women blink nearly trice as often as men" Didn't know that either but do now :D!

I thought this topic was about the Universe and not just some random facts found on some website.Here is one for you, although we are the only planet to have life in the known universe, that is somewhat false as microbes and bacteria are considered life and so they do exist else where in the universe. Also for ever galaxy in the universe there is at least one massive black hole in its center.The most distant object every recorded was a gamma ray bust that was some 12+ billion light years away, meaning that this gamma burst happen 12 billion years ago and we are just now seeing it for the fist time.Since the beginning of planet searching, almost 400 planets or planet-like systems have been found in our known universe.Proxima Centauri is the closest star to our solar system at 4.5 light years and on top of that our sun is the only star in our known solar system.-

Well actually... I happen to have a very curious personality. I have read many books from the library all my life. I happened to have those memorized. I didnt go look them up on the internet or something. Those are just facts that I remember that were stored in my brain. Speaking of chocolate I heard there are an averge of 6 insect legs in every chocolate bar. I dont know if thats true or not but... hey. XD

Wow some very nice and interesting facts there, Talking about facts on my chocolate bar it has "Woweee Fact! A butterfly has 12,000 eyes" I didn't know that but do now :D And on the other chocolate bar is has "Wowee Fact! Women blink nearly trice as often as men" Didn't know that either but do now :D !

Arent they those "Cheweee" bars from Aldi :D

--

Oooo, very interesting!

That dog and the head one, there was a man that did it with a chicken, but the other half - all he had to do was clean the neck area every hour or so, sew up the veins and arteries that joined up to the head and the chicken body lived for 18 months!

Heard it off the radio about 5 years ago - i still remember it :D - heres an article about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_Headless_Chicken

I like the part on time travel. I did came across an article saying that if one could be in a, say capsule, that is tilted at the same angle as Earth and spin faster than the planet itself, time travel is possible.

Im never going to Amsterdam now....too scared. If this is legal, there probably are night shootings nightly. Who wants to get killed eating a burger at McDonalds?I can lick my elbow. My elbow is double-jointed so I can twist it and lick it. My friends think it's disgusting but whatever.

There is a theory about the universe expanding. They say eventually, it will stop expanding, and inevitably begin to shrink again. Once it culminates in the center, a "big crunch", the opposite of the big bang shall occur. Then, ANOTHER big bang will happen, and the universe will start over again. Monkey's are incredibly intelligent. Gorilla's can have IQs nearing 100!Even at the speed of light, it would take years to reach the nearest star (aside from the sun)It would take 8 minutes (roughly) at the speed of light to reach the sun from Earth.Black Holes can't actually be seen. They are so dense, they trap everything with their inertia. Even light can't escape, so we can't actually see them.Its true, your head can survive indepedantly for a short time. (Without special conditions though, its only a few seconds)Chances are, if every religion on the planet is even slightly right, then if there are such things as "aliens", then they aren't as advanced as us, and are probably making scary films and having nightmares about US.

The universe is expanding at points faster than the speed of light which means their motion relative to us is faster than the speed of light. This doesn't break any rules because their motion is because of the expansion of space itself, and not true motion.Some of the static you see on TV is remnant radiation from the big bang.Time runs slower under gravitational fields, a clock running in space will run faster than one on earth.

I just wanted to point out that the "Big Crunch" is no longer a valid theory. at one point it was believed that the expansion of the universe was slowing however, that has since been proven to be untrue. The rate of universal expansion, based on current observations, seems to be increasing instead. Hence the need for dark energy. If Proxima Centauri went super nova it would destroy life on earth.

Ok, this headless chicken thing-it's desgusting and awful. The dog head thing isn't that good neither -what the heck that person was trying to accomplish by cutting a dog's head off !?-Yes, the light from the Sun travels to the Earth for 8 minutes.-Contrary to what most visitors seem to think, drugs are far from legal in any part of the world, including Amsterdam. The drugs is sold very often on the streets but it isn't legal ! Prostitution is legal in Germany(don't know about Amsterdam) and the prostitutes have to pay special tax to the country.Monkeys are not that intelligent ! They are not like us neither. I agree about respecting every living creature although it's different and all, but we can't treat them as intelligent because a monkey's IQ can't be near 100! Maybe it was some circling test and the monkey SOMEHOW cirecled some of the right answers, or it was done in whatever way..a monkey can't have a n IQ of 100 ! It's impossible. They can't solve the problems the way humans can, they can't learn all the expressions humans are used to 'respond at' and all. They just can't !And I have a lot of theories about the universe, but how can it expand when they're saying it's endless(which isn't true) ? And how can it squash, things(planets) are just about to disappear or something similar? No one knows a thing about the Universe and all we can do is guess and compete who has the best theory.Stars are far away, maybe unreachable and WARP might be impossible- if a person even travels in the same exact moment how are they even going to prove it ?

Marijuana or weed is definitely legal in Amsterdam, they can sell it in shops and what not. Drugs, a much broader term, has different levels of legality everywhere. Prostitution is legal in New Zealand, Not because they condone it but because they want to have law in place to help protect them from different types of exploitation.IQ depends on the measure of IQ. Measuring a monkeys IQ with a normal human IQ test would be pointless, for starters unless you somehow taught them english then they wouldn't understand the test. Regardless it is highly unlikely they have IQ's of 100 which is close to the average human IQ.The universe expands in "space" which means that distances increase while sizes stay the same. While the universe isn't proven to be infinite, it is possible to be both infinite and expanding. The analogy often used is to think of seeds sprinkled on the top of a loaf of bread before baking. They start all close together but as it bakes the surface expands while all the seeds stay the same size. They stay in the same positions relative to the space but get further apart.

If you put on glasses that flip your vision upside down and then continuously wear them, eventually your brain will flip the image back upright.