xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
alapidus

Windows Xp Has Failed Me... OEM disk problems...

there were major problems with my computer (reasons don't matter) and i couldn't reformat it the right way... (by popping in the xp disk). so i put it in another computer as a secondary drive in a different computer, and it was successful. those of you who are experienced with OEM disks are probably expecting the horrors i am about to relate to you... as anyone with a speck of knowledge about hardware knows, there is no way to COMPLETELY erase a hard drive, no matter which way you reformat it. so, when i booted up my computer again, it gave me a message "NTLDR IS MISSING". that sucked... badly.... very badly..... i immediately realized why. OEM disks of windows (like the one i ordered from zipzoomfly) can only be used once! somehow, the disk was thinking that i was trying to install the OS on a different computer. now i am screwed. i'll probably have to go to pc warehouse to ask them to somehow work around this problem and fix all the other problems that made me reformat in the first place! i'll inevitably have to buy another windows disk, another 125 dollars down the drain... and that's if i ever go back to cheap piece of crap OEM disks again!!!! all in all, my computer is screwed!!!!</my rant> thanks for listening!

UPDATE: my dad's doing me a huge favor and he will be taking my PC to a store called PC Warehouse tomorrow. i hear that they are very good, very professional, and they won't overcharge. i'll see how it goes... another update hopefully soon, if anyone cares...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you erase partitions with fdisk, there is NO information left. Even OEM disk shouldn't make any trouble... Howeverm I can't put my life on it, but that's just a thought...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you erase partitions with fdisk, there is NO information left. Even OEM disk shouldn't make any trouble... Howeverm I can't put my life on it, but that's just a thought...

47078[/snapback]

well according to all my computer nerd friends: there is no true way to completely erase a hard disk... (well, maybe setting it on fire would erase it :D) i also think that Microsoft would find some way to prevent consumers from using it ineligibly, and i guess permanently bruising the hard drive is the easiest way to accomplish it. also, its a known fact that OEM xp disks can only be used on one computer; that's one of the reasons its so cheap!

I know how u feel dude u cant use your computer for a while it takes a long time to get the mother board replaced and stuff because some parts may have to be replaced like processor and stuff but probably not that rarely ever happens thounless u break ur computer really bad but thats a different story lol but anyways it must be very painful for u and i know how u feel its happened to me a zillion times before GuySpook signing off

I know how u feel dude u cant use your computer for a while it takes a long time to get the mother board replaced and stuff because some parts may have to be replaced like processor and stuff but probably not that rarely ever happens tho

unless u break ur computer really bad but thats a different story lol but anyways it must be very painful for u and i know how u feel its happened to me a zillion times before

GuySpook signing off

47182[/snapback]

well if u take care of u disks nothing will happen plus the boot disks form mircrosoft work fine

Here's an easy answer:

DITCH WINDOWS AND TRY DIFFERENT THINGS LIKE LINUX OR MACINTOSH!!

xboxrulz

47461[/snapback]

if anything ran on linux, i gladly would! what if i want to play games like doom 2 or half-life 2? i don't think anyone made those for linux...

I deffinatly agree with xboxrulez. You should switch to linux. It's the best. It's cheap too (ussually it's free it depends on which distro you choose). I think there is a program that lets you use programs that are meant for windows on a linux or mac. I think it's called cherryOS (correct me if i'm wrong). Linux is great because it is always getting updated. And it's easier to fix problems because it's small (compared to windows). Windows has millions and millions of lines of codes. Each time they make a new OS they write the code on TOP of the old codes. I doupt Microsoft knows everything about the OS they built themeselves. Even though I'm running a XP (my dad doesn't let me install linux anymore cause he's afraid it'll screw up my computer again) I recommend using Linux.

I deffinatly agree with xboxrulez. You should switch to linux. It's the best. It's cheap too (ussually it's free it depends on which distro you choose). I think there is a program that lets you use programs that are meant for windows on a linux or mac. I think it's called cherryOS (correct me if i'm wrong). Linux is great because it is always getting updated. And it's easier to fix problems because it's small (compared to windows). Windows has millions and millions of lines of codes. Each time they make a new OS they write the code on TOP of the old codes. I doupt Microsoft knows everything about the OS they built themeselves. Even though I'm running a XP (my dad doesn't let me install linux anymore cause he's afraid it'll screw up my computer again) I recommend using Linux.

Yea that is true. but it is for advanced users. You should know how to use the Operating System before you download it cause it will just waste your time.

I still prefer windows... though I plan on buying a mac in the future! I really like the layout and interface... it looks so fancy and eyecatching! Windows XP always had problems... maybe it's me... I don't know~ D O O G A

Well, I went to PC Warehouse today. Their sign said that they were open from 12-3pm on sundays. Apparently, they weren't, at least at 1:30 when we got there! What a waste of an hour-long trip!My dad's gonna try again this week on a weeknight. Hopefully they won't fool me twice... shame on them! If this doesn't work out, then screw Microsoft because I'm getting a Linux!

Linux is a good operating system but if you know nothing about it, it just a waste of time, and stick with microsoft.On another thing, i have installed many (at least 10 times) windows XP on the same HDD, it has worked every time. Sometimes i have done it by fomatting it with the winxp disk, other times with this disk that erases completely your HDD, wich you can configure it to erase it 100 times if you want so you are completely sure that it will erase EVERYTHING. Imagine if you couldent erase everything on a HDD the government and military, would have to completely distroy every piece of a HDD that they didnt need anymore. -Another misconception is that, the winxp disk is going to look for a specific file in your pc before installing and if found it is not going to let you install winxp but if not found it will. It might sound really stupid but i just tried to make it look very simple but it is more complex, with more steps involved. Well all i want ot say is that if you earase you HDD with a different disk that winxp (a disk that you buy at a computer store, that the people will tell you that works well) then after forrmatting the HDD, just insert the winxp disk and it will install. Note that you have to know what you are doing...--if you have any questions just PM or e-mail me.