xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ash-Bash

Google Street

Hello there all Xisto members,

I have just found out today in France while I was at a shopping mall I found a car with google logo's ect on it and found a very tool object on top of the car.

I asked the guy what it was and he says it is "Google Street" It will be like Google Earth but just from your street.

Here is the car they are doing it in:

Posted Image

I will post another topic or edit this one when I find even more information on this Topic.

- Ash :D

wow that is way cool. you will now be able to not only get a sattilite view but a street view as well. I remember reading something about this a few months back but forgot where :D I will have to look for it. But I do think it was in one of the posts or something with google maps. Myself I do not think it will be any problem as long as the Only do street shots and not true vidieos.

I guess they won't ever come to my country, though. My guess is that they are using them to pick up pictures and insert them into the Google Earth program right?I once saw some pictures when you clicked in some kind of 'open image' thing in the map. I don't think they are going to invade privacy, since it might only take pictures for their map (correct me if wrong).

I guess they won't ever come to my country, though. My guess is that they are using them to pick up pictures and insert them into the Google Earth program right?I once saw some pictures when you clicked in some kind of 'open image' thing in the map. I don't think they are going to invade privacy, since it might only take pictures for their map (correct me if wrong).

I think how they may do this is like a Panaramic shots. Maybe and this is only my thoughts but, maybe like when you use the flight but you will drive.

i heard of this before i read in a magazine and its known for cars to go around and take pictures where the satellite cannot reach, many people have been complaining but its not a big deal i mean google is trying to make this world a daily digital life. I heard of this a while back like around the 2006 or 2007 but yea its a pretty nice idea.

Yeah... Google has already done this for most of the United States, Japan, New Zealand, and Australia. But now I'm seeing some in France and Italy as well. They've built it right into google maps so you can get a better view of a certain street you are looking at. Interesting picture of the car. I've always wondered what kind of rig they've got set up to take those pictures.

Interesting picture of the car. I've always wondered what kind of rig they've got set up to take those pictures.

I am just suprised that they use a car for this. you would think that a Van or a truck would be a lot better. I dont know of the weight of the cam on that mast or just how high it really is, or even if is mounted as they are mobile. I would love seeing more photos of this though.

I didn't know that they use a car for this, I thought they were using satellite imaging. I have checked out hundreds of locations and everything has perfect street pictures of it. I can go all the way from our house to buildings 30 miles away - solely by following the roads on Google Street.I just think it's inefficient to drive every inch of every street to take pictures..And this gives me mixed feelings. When I first saw the street pictures I was thinking "Man, they are spying on everything using satellites.' Now I'm thinking "Man, they're driving up and down our streets taking pictures too."

I didn't know that they use a car for this, I thought they were using satellite imaging. I have checked out hundreds of locations and everything has perfect street pictures of it. I can go all the way from our house to buildings 30 miles away - solely by following the roads on Google Street.
I just think it's inefficient to drive every inch of every street to take pictures..

And this gives me mixed feelings. When I first saw the street pictures I was thinking "Man, they are spying on everything using satellites.' Now I'm thinking "Man, they're driving up and down our streets taking pictures too."

They are using both Satellite and that Autos for this. Using the Car for street shots.

Well I understood that part. I thought they used satellite for everything though - including street shots.By following the road I meant like as if you're walking down it - not the arial views.And although I do find the whole situation scary to a point, I think it is amazing how far we are getting with technology today. Every day we do something new that never would have been dreamed up of even 5 years ago.

I think they are only do main countries that are not to big like China for one would be way to big to do.

Most tourist place's like: UK, US, France & some others :P

They may do one with all the countries on but I am sure you would have to pay for that.

Well I understood that part. I thought they used satellite for everything though - including street shots.
By following the road I meant like as if you're walking down it - not the arial views.

And although I do find the whole situation scary to a point, I think it is amazing how far we are getting with technology today. Every day we do something new that never would have been dreamed up of even 5 years ago.

It is just done by a car so it would look like you would be standing out side that house.

A Very cool idea, Also very expensive but Google can afford it :D
Edited by Ash-Bash (see edit history)

Ye, I've just seen street view few days ago, it's great, it's like you are somewhere on the street. It's just pictures mixed together but it's still great... You look around, take a look at the cars, it's awsome. Well, the quality is a bit low but that's not such a problem.

Apparently not all these streetview drivers are that great after all... here is an article about one driver hitting a deer, and the whole ordeal was uploaded to google streetview. It has since been taken down, of course.

And of course just for everyone's personal amusement, Google streetview car being pulled over for a traffic violation:

Posted Image

Edited by galexcd (see edit history)