xisto Community
Digitalidad

Corel Vs Adobe. Which One's Better?

O.K. I've been a loyal Corel Draw user for the last 9 years, but recently I had the chance to try Illustrator and Photoshop, and guess what? I see that in spite of being a little less friendly, the results you get are of a much higher quality, specially when it comes to gradients. For example, in my experience, with Corel apps you see bands making the gradients of the art you export and in Adobe's apps you don't.I've heard a lot of graphic design professionals prefer Adobe's stuff. What do you prefer???The downside of the Adobe stuff is its high price :D The Corel suite is much cheaper. But I guess that, once again, you get what you pay for. :P

I've heard a lot of graphic design professionals prefer Adobe's stuff. What do you prefer???

I prefer gimp, because:

1. It's free

2. I'm used to it

It can do pretty much everything photoshop can do and has a hell of a big library for plug-ins. You can ever make 3D text and change the angle of your image like in some 3d software! Again plug-ins are just great, there's a lot of them, I've got 98 of them on gimp and there's like 200-300 out there (if you count the un-official ones).

I think it's always PS because of it's reputation, "the best image-editing software in the world" I have no doubt it is, but most of the things in it aren't used by a average user, damn not even a professional!

I've never trieed out corel applications before.
Edited by baniboy (see edit history)

Yay GIMP!Honestly though, I'm used to Photoshop and some of the ways GIMP works/ is designed bug me. That's probably mostly due to my not being used to it, of course. Though I was using it today, and the eraser tool just stopped working. I'm not sure if it was due to anything I was doing, or if it was completely random... but it certainly doesn't help appearances.I can't say too much about Corel stuff, because the last time I set foot in a Corel program was about 5 years or so ago, and that experience was terrible. I could figure out how to make a giant 3d bee appear on the screen, and that was about it. Perhaps once again due to my own inexperience with the program? (In my defence I'm usually quite quick with computer apps, so I suspect that Adobe just had a more intuitive design to things... at the time, mind you).BUT, after all that rambling... I hear Corel and Adobe are both good, and... COREL PAINTER. LORDY, that is the best thing I have ever seen.

I use photoshop for editing photos and corel draw for making logos, letter pads.In my view for photographer, editing photos adobe is better than corel (My friend said photo painter is little vast not design friendly). And designing logos and such materials Corel is good. Anyway photoshop also can design logos. I am not tried yet Gimp.

O.K. I've been a loyal Corel Draw user for the last 9 years, but recently I had the chance to try Illustrator and Photoshop, and guess what? I see that in spite of being a little less friendly, the results you get are of a much higher quality, specially when it comes to gradients.
For example, in my experience, with Corel apps you see bands making the gradients of the art you export and in Adobe's apps you don't.

I've heard a lot of graphic design professionals prefer Adobe's stuff. What do you prefer???

The downside of the Adobe stuff is its high price :D The Corel suite is much cheaper. But I guess that, once again, you get what you pay for. :P

I use Photoshop, because i'm already used to it and i have never use Corel before
and i also think that Photoshop is better than Corel or GIMP

Out of Corel and Adobe, I prefer Adobe's suite, although I have not used Corel's software for a number of years. However, overall I prefer the GIMP. The software is free, and can do pretty much everything Photoshop can, although the interface could certainly do with some improvements. However, to me (as a web designer) the interface is not worth the many hundreds of pounds Photoshop costs, plus Photoshop requires a much more powerful PC than my laptop.

Like some of the other members I haven't used coral draw in years and so I don't know they updated to get into web design or graphic design related things. I just remember using it for clip art and stuff like like that. Either way I would take Adobe over Coral any day.

My vote goes with no doubt to Adobe because even if they look unfriendly at first over the time you get acostumed with them and let's be honest that there is no real competition for them. Any professional designer uses Adobe's software. In the past I've also used Corel and Gimp. I liked gimp better because it's easy to use and fast. But the quality lacks compared to Adobe's one. But I have to say that Adobe has some really high prices.

I didn't even think Corel was still in business.

I personally also prefer as a home user to use GIMP as it's free, but at my work, no guys I know are using GIMP, all of them do designing using Adobe software and they just exchange PSD files and etc. as I'm not a designer, I don't really get into all that stuff, but some friends I know, they use some kind of Corel software/suit as they are studying in art academy and the things I saw they've done with Corel is really amazing, so I guess the software does not really matter if you're a Professional/Good with graphics. Some people still are great with Paint programs, pixel artists and so on.. And most of us don't use Paint programs, unless for simple things.Photoshop is expensive for a home user, but for a company I don't think it's so expensive to get, home users can get cheaper graphics programs like Paint Shop Pro or some Corel suits too to start learning something. :D

Best thing is to be intimately familiar with as many programs as possible. And I mean INTIMATE. Like wine, dine, 69, doggystyle intimate. The more you know, the more proficient you are overall.You may find that one is more capable of doing some things then others. Just as you might use Illustrator to create a logo, then import it into Photoshop to add a texture, you might use Corel to create a background and import it into Photoshop to manipulate.

HEY ADOBE IS BETTER BECAUSE ITS easy to learn and also it is available for some few bucks.Adobe has released many software in its official website just download the trial version and then order for full version or download from torrent.

I use Adobe CS4 and Corel products regularly, my issue with Corel is its interface is just weird, I like Adobes interface much more. The functionality of all Adobe's programs is very high and you always get a high quality output. I am an Adobe man so it is definitely not an issue for me to say Adobe, but if you are low on money, definitely try out Corel, the output may not be great, but it will not burn a hole in your pocket like any of the Adobe Suites (reaching into the thousands). There are free programs out there, for Vectors there is Inkscape and for Raster you have GIMP, again the quality is worse, but they will leave you money in your wallet.

Photoshop is more for Major Companies and schools. Although Corel is cheaper and more useful for Home and personal use. I recommend Corel Paint Shop Pro, because it has some similar features as Photoshop. I bought my copy for only $199 AUD.