xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Baniboy

The Real Connection Speed

Hi trappers!So what is your connection speed. I'm making my website and I want to know what is an average connection speed so I don't accidently put too graphics graphics on my site.So could you kindly put:1. The type of your connection (for example dial-up)2. The real speed upload/download (you can figure this out by for example downloading something, I don't have use for the upload thing tho, so it doesn't matter if you don't know it)

Edited by baniboy (see edit history)

Your ISP didn't lie about your connection speed. It's not "1 megabyte a second," it's "1 megabit a second."If I remember correctly 8 bits = 1 byte, so you divide by 8. If your internet is 1 Mb/s then your download speed is ~115-120 KB/s or 1000Kb/s.Here are the abbreviations:MB = MegabyteMb = Megabit(1/8 of a megabyte)KB = KilobyteKb = Kilobit(1/8 of a kilobyte)Hopefully that helps you understand better, :D. People just always misinterpret MB and Mb as being the same, even though they aren't.

Edited by rpgsearcherz (see edit history)

Your ISP didn't lie about your connection speed. It's not "1 megabyte a second," it's "1 megabit a second."
If I remember correctly 8 bits = 1 byte, so you divide by 8. If your internet is 1 Mb/s then your download speed is ~115-120 KB/s or 1000Kb/s.

Here are the abbreviations:

MB = Megabyte
Mb = Megabit(1/8 of a megabyte)
KB = Kilobyte
Kb = Kilobit(1/8 of a kilobyte)

Hopefully that helps you understand better, :D . People just always misinterpret MB and Mb as being the same, even though they aren't.

Oh.. I didn't know that. The error is corrected, could you tell me your connection speed?

Well I personally have a WiFi internet connection(Where I live it's either that or 33.6k dialup...We can't even get 56k out here) so mine ranges anywhere from 400 Kb/s to 4 Mb/s(Around 50 KB/s to 480 KB/s download rates).To fix your issue of "too many graphics" I would suggest having two versions of your site - one with graphics and one without.

A few good points were made above but also a few very bad ones.

You firstly must remember that if its school or college you are attending that when you get a job and hopefully its a 9 to 5, your schedule will not change that much. So getting yourself into a daily routine now, will benefit you in the long run.

Breakfast.

If your going for a run in the mornings, there is no point filling yourself up before you start or else you'll cramp up or feel sick. But your just after sleeping for 8 hours I hope, so your completely empty. Try some toasted brown bread (2 slices) with honey, and a glass of orange juice. Give it about twenty minutes to digest while you get your bag and other stuff packed for school. Then go for your run and shower afterwards to revitilise your muscles and mind. On your way to school / work try a nutri-grain bar or a banana, with plenty of liquids - water or more recommended, a power aid drink. Due to your run your musles lack energy now. Have a coffee if you wish.

If your not going for a run in the morning, try maby a bowl of cereal with nuts (my favourite is that crunchy nut feast, or wheetaabix with nuts and chopped banana) and an egg with some juice. Get out of the habit of using salts or sauses, their only good for weekening the muscles.

Lunch.

If its possible always have soup with brown bread for lunch. You shouldn't need butter but its not really bad if you use a small bit. Try not to use soup from cans, if you can get the one from them cartons, much better. Try different flavours so you dont get bored of the same one each day.

If soup is too hard for you to make at school or work take a sandwich.

Important: No point having small skimpy flat like ones, and eating loads of them. Better to have one fullyloaded. My favourite would be Brown Bread, Chicken, Lettuce, Cheese and even Mayo on it. You gotta make sure you enjoy your food! Sometimes I even add stuffing most times. After the one sandwich I'm full though. I dont recommend yogerts but I'm not against them intirely. If you want one, get fruit and nut ones.

Before your training you can have maby a small bit of chocolate but keep it plain, no caramel. Maby have half the bar 25minutes before training and the other half afterwards.

Dinner.

I liked who ever said home-cooking, this is very important. Yes, potatoes and pasta are the best for this. One of my favourites is potatoes, carrots / peas or beans with a meat or chicken. If its pre-prepaired this can be cooked in 25-35 minutes.

For desert stick to the simple fruit, maby some grapes(make sure seedless) mandren orange, dribble some apple juice over it and treat yourself to a half scoup of ice-cream.

You shouldnt need to eat for the rest of the night. But if you do, no matter what it is, shouldn't be any bigger then three small mouthfuls. And should not be ate less then an hour before your head hits the pillow.

Ill put my house on it your health will sky rocket mate, and you'll feel wonders while you train.

So I hope this is what you wanted.

Your ISP didn't lie about your connection speed. It's not "1 megabyte a second," it's "1 megabit a second."

If I remember correctly 8 bits = 1 byte, so you divide by 8. If your internet is 1 Mb/s then your download speed is ~115-120 KB/s or 1000Kb/s.

Here are the abbreviations:

MB = Megabyte

Mb = Megabit(1/8 of a megabyte)

KB = Kilobyte

Kb = Kilobit(1/8 of a kilobyte)

Hopefully that helps you understand better, :D . People just always misinterpret MB and Mb as being the same, even though they aren't.

Well I personally have a WiFi internet connection(Where I live it's either that or 33.6k dialup...We can't even get 56k out here) so mine ranges anywhere from 400 Kb/s to 4 Mb/s(Around 50 KB/s to 480 KB/s download rates).

To fix your issue of "too many graphics" I would suggest having two versions of your site - one with graphics and one without.

ok well then one question whats my internet speed now?

Posted Image

While people are complaining - unless they state otherwise - most ISPs use the term up to

which means that they are allowed to supply you with any speed that is less than the stated. At the moment i am receiving 5mbits instead of my 10 they promised me.

If i wait until the morning, or about midnight however, i should be getting my full 10. If not, 8 or 9.

--

The best time to get your maximum speed is when nobody in your street is using the internet, even if you are using fibreoptic, which we are.

Posted Image

Edited by flashy (see edit history)

That's a good point Flashy. You have to take into consideration that bandwidth isn't free, not for you or the ISP. If they allow you to keep the max cap 24/7 they will spend more than you are paying them for your internet. Obviously if there is nobody else on it killing the total bandwidth then there is more for you.Also, keep in mind that Cable is a lot more variable than DSL. Cable is known to fluctuate by about 80%(+- your bandwidth. If you "get" 10 mb/s it can go from 2 mb's to 18, and obviously it will occasionally go lower or higher than that as well).

1. The type of your connection (for example dial-up) Broadband

2. The real speed upload/download (you can figure this out by for example downloading something, I don't have use for the upload thing tho, so it doesn't matter if you don't know it)

Posted Image

That was my speed for downloading 5 games off Steam Powered as well!

1. The type of your connection (for example dial-up) Broadband

2. The real speed upload/download (you can figure this out by for example downloading something, I don't have use for the upload thing tho, so it doesn't matter if you don't know it)

Posted Image

That was my speed for downloading 5 games off Steam Powered as well!

That converts to ~500 KB/s down while downloading the other stuff. Nice connection. I've never gotten mine to 500 even when downloading just one thing, XD

Posted Image

And yet the quoted value for downloads is 24 Mb/s, and I can download at up to 2 MB/s (16 Mb/s) - with multiple connections of course.

Thanks for all your help, although your connection speed might be a little higher than a average internet user, I'm sure my website's backgrounds which happen to have a total of 80 kB size won't be much of a problem for internet speeds. Also if you have a website, what is the total size of your graphic content (only the structure, backgrounds, navigation buttons etc.)

Well something to think about in terms of graphics size is that images(jpg, png, gif, etc.) download significantly faster than zip/rar/etc. files.When you load up a website your client(IE, Firefox, whatever) will automatically download a compressed version of the site.That's why on 56k you can download at ~4 KB/s but loading up websites you can download the images at "50+."So 80 KB's would be about 2 seconds even on dialup.The only thing to worry about is Flash. That's not compressed so if it's 2 MB's, it's 2 MB.

Well something to think about in terms of graphics size is that images(jpg, png, gif, etc.) download significantly faster than zip/rar/etc. files.
When you load up a website your client(IE, Firefox, whatever) will automatically download a compressed version of the site.

That's why on 56k you can download at ~4 KB/s but loading up websites you can download the images at "50+."

So 80 KB's would be about 2 seconds even on dialup.

The only thing to worry about is Flash. That's not compressed so if it's 2 MB's, it's 2 MB.

So when a client visits a site, the compressed version of the site will load into some temporary folder. but do the images load with it in the zip file or does it load as an image itself (not compressed)?

Don't worry about flash, I don't use it and anyway it's file sizes are smaller than a average image thanks to vector grfx. :D