xisto Community
jlhaslip

Css Html Site - 2 Columns a work-in-progress

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Comments, please.

Still working on it. Going to make a modular php script to run it once the Design is nailed down.
Needs a few touch-ups yet. The colour scheme on the Navbar is bothering me. I'd like to keep the colour count to around 6, but this design might be over that limit.

Two columns, centred main column, right hand sidebar, they can both extend as required to match the longest column. The effect that displays on the Blockquotes and Unordered lists is a visual design feature to highlight them, so that isn't broken...

Three part Header with Skip links for accessibility.
Site is W3C valid and CSS valid.

We'll be adding some more features before I check the 508 standards, but it should come in okay for level AA, I think. Possibly AAA.
And the design willl be using a CSS file on the finished site. Including a Print CSS file.
Made the top and side background images in GIMP. Might do a tutorial on that some day soon.

Oh! Forgot to mention, this is for a University Professor, so the design needed to be 'tame', but not boring. Minimal Images. I'll be messing with them a bit to optimize the download sizes and such.
If I can drop the total image size to around 50Kb, I'll be happy. They are around 63Kb now. Should be able to do that... :D

I just checked it out in firefox and it looks good. I like the layout it flows smoothly when resizing. The color scheme of green is too bright in my opinion, maybe even too greenly for my taste but I'm no expert in design. Other then that I think its going to be a nice site.

Thanks, sonesay... glad you like it.Any chance anyone can do a screenie in IE7 for me, please. I have heard the right side bar is escaping on the page.... and I am working on a new set of background images that will tone down the green a bit.

For an added bonus if you have a wide screen resolution 1920x1200 look to the right and you will notice a interesting shadow effect going on. Other then that it should be interesting what kind of php includes you use for this template and how customizable it is as well.